Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m curious if anyone has noticed whether the unusual sounds from our cars may cause wildlife to react differently than a normal car? Reason I ask is I had an unusual experience with deer the other day. There were 4 on side of road near where I pulled out from a side street. One popped his head up, looked nervous and began moving, so I immediately stopped accelerating and moved into the oncoming lane, giving them plenty of space. The damn things started running alongside my car and than one tried to dart in front of me, causing me to almost come to a stop, but he darted back into the grass. My car was in EV mode at this point and I believe I was going slow enough for the weird exterior speaker noise. So than I tried to accelerate to get past them and thought I was clear and all of a sudden I heard a loud crash from the rear and felt the car move. Nothing was visible in rear view mirror. I pulled over further down the road where there was light and was pissed to see 2 new dents, one on the rear fender and an antler crease just below the rear door handle. Based on the loud noise, the damage was minor, but still...! The damn thing purposely hit the rear of my car, knowing it was there. I really feel the whines the electric motor makes along with the pedestrian warning speaker may have caused the deer to go a little bonkers. Anyone else notice animals being confused or stirred up by these noises?

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would be suspicious of it being related to the vehicle having the electric motor. I was in Colorado Spring and watched an massive male deer just ram in the side of someone's SUV at a stop light. My best guess would be either hormones or being protective of the other deer. But, like I said, just a guess.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Deer are “confused or stirred up” at baseline with human vehicles so I think it’s much more likely to just be a result of that unpredictability than some special reaction to essentially white noise.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I agree that its more likely hormones than the noise. Also your vehicle movements may have sent competative signals. Given that they had antlers, perhaps they were feeling the rut (male deer head butting for breading rights).

Also many deer get killed by passing cars or trucks, especially at dusk or dawn. They cause all kinds of damage. I had one deer that ran into the right side of a car I was driving while Iwas taking a high speed (65 mph) right corner at the time. I had to replace the right side outside rear view mirror, But I killed the deer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts