Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings insighters,

Just thinking about what kinds of modifications or performance upgrades those of you are thinking about to go with your new insight. Everything from Wheels to tints, spoilers, and ECU mods. I understand that you probably don't want to do nothing to a new car but put new tires on it. Even still I believe that the Honda Insight 2019 has the potential to be a stylish Hybrid sports car that feels great on the road with good acceleration and handling along with great MPG. Any thoughts, suggestions, feedback, or experience with this please share.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want to improve the handling, the biggest bang for the buck is to beef up the sway bars. The front sway bar and attachment hardware is the same as on the Civic, so that should be easy and relatively inexpensive to do. See this: https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/161-tires-wheels-suspension/132-shared-suspension-parts.html

You can start with that and see how much difference it makes for you before whether you decide to look for a rear bar as well.
Thank you i will look this over more and ask questions. Any thoughts on an eibach pro suspension kit for the 2019 insight?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you i will look this over more and ask questions. Any thoughts on an eibach pro suspension kit for the 2019 insight?

Do you have a link for the Eibach pro suspension kit? The Eibach web site doesn't show any 2019 vehicles.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Because the gas engine really only provides direct drive to the axles at higher (freeway) speeds, engine mods will work a LOT differently than what most folks are used to.
Intakes, ECU, and Exhaust mods will all be pretty useless for our cars unless you are interested in gaining performance for passing on the freeway. Even then, with the 1.5 liter Atkins Cycle engine, you are going to get almost no noticeable gains. Forced induction will also be pointless in these cars. Unless we can get more electrical power to the wheels, we are pretty much stuck with what we have until we reach cruising speeds.

As for suspension, losing un-sprung weight in the wheels is a great start. That, coupled with a more aggressive tire alone will get you some decent handling improvements. Less weight on the wheels also helps a little with acceleration. We lost 6 pounds per wheel without even trying by going aftermarket but staying the same size (17 inch). Noticed better off the line performance and better MPG from this alone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a link for the Eibach pro suspension kit? The Eibach web site doesn't show any 2019 vehicles.
here are some links i have saved regarded the suspension kit I'm planning (i have no idea what fits so i haven't spent any money although i would like to get a sport set of springs shocks and sway bars.) the last two look the most promising.

https://eibach.com/us/c-91-products-street-performance-suspension-systems-pro-system-plus-performance-springs-shocks-and-sway-bars.html

https://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/61A6569A0A0.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/Eibach-4-1035-680-Sport-System-Plus-Suspension-Kit/dp/B000Q0TYEM/ref=pd_day0_hl_263_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000Q0TYEM&pd_rd_r=4d1859df-c117-11e8-9e5f-8d3178d83a22&pd_rd_w=wAdkn&pd_rd_wg=HRwoD&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=G6PZV7W06W6M3XCVY82C&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=G6PZV7W06W6M3XCVY82C

https://www.jegs.com/i/Eibach/369/4.1740.680/10002/-1?CAWELAID=230006180006378126&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15769068431&CATCI=aud-224375369591:pla-190109516951&CATARGETID=230006180037476681&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuafdBRDmARIsAPpBmVUApKjwAgzMis7Bfj4dn4awTpEuN0jddw9R7zCMFr9d0SvzBabdPJEaAvMwEALw_wcB

https://www.jegs.com/i/Eibach/369/4.1740.680/10002/-1?CAWELAID=230006180006378126&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15769068431&CATCI=aud-224375369591:pla-190109516951&CATARGETID=230006180037476681&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuafdBRDmARIsAPpBmVUApKjwAgzMis7Bfj4dn4awTpEuN0jddw9R7zCMFr9d0SvzBabdPJEaAvMwEALw_wcB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because the gas engine really only provides direct drive to the axles at higher (freeway) speeds, engine mods will work a LOT differently than what most folks are used to.
Intakes, ECU, and Exhaust mods will all be pretty useless for our cars unless you are interested in gaining performance for passing on the freeway. Even then, with the 1.5 liter Atkins Cycle engine, you are going to get almost no noticeable gains. Forced induction will also be pointless in these cars. Unless we can get more electrical power to the wheels, we are pretty much stuck with what we have until we reach cruising speeds.

As for suspension, losing un-sprung weight in the wheels is a great start. That, coupled with a more aggressive tire alone will get you some decent handling improvements. Less weight on the wheels also helps a little with acceleration. We lost 6 pounds per wheel without even trying by going aftermarket but staying the same size (17 inch). Noticed better off the line performance and better MPG from this alone.
that answers alot of my questions about weather or not it would be effecient to spend money on an exhaust and an intake, have you thought about konig wheels? you might even be able to move up to 18"s and the wheels are still about 18lbs. from what ive read about them they are standard formula one wheels and have light weight builds in their flow form builds (dekagram for example)

also because the cold air intake and exhaust wouldnt show any gains are there any thoughts on mods besides suspension wheels and tires that might show significant gains in performance?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Akai: None of those links show that the Eibach kit is available for the 2019 Insight, at least not yet. I was suggesting primarily sway bars, but if Franko1927 is right, the OEM front sway bar @ 25mm is fine. However, the 16mm rear bar is anemic and could be upgraded to advantage -- if you can find something that fits. It is certainly possible that Eibach will have a rear sway bar for the Insight in due time.

Franko1927: Where do you find that kind of technical information about the car?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Akai: None of those links show that the Eibach kit is available for the 2019 Insight, at least not yet. I was suggesting primarily sway bars, but if Franko1927 is right, the OEM front sway bar @ 25mm is fine. However, the 16mm rear bar is anemic and could be upgraded to advantage -- if you can find something that fits. It is certainly possible that Eibach will have a rear sway bar for the Insight in due time.

Franko1927: Where do you find that kind of technical information about the car?
I found these websites and im not sure where to go for measurements on sway bars shocks and springs:

https://www.hondapartsonline.net/auto-parts/2019/honda/insight/tourin-trim/variable-engine/chassis-cat/front-knuckle-scat

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/v-2019-honda-insight--tourin--variable/chassis--front-shock-absorber

and maybe this site too ?

https://www.carid.com/universal-suspension-systems/?vehicle=125922

·
Registered
25 Posts
All that you will get from Honda are replacements of what are on the car.

You might call up or email Eibach and ask them about developing a rear sway bar for the Insight. That is probably your best bet. It is possible, however, that one of their rear bars for the Civic might be adapted to work on the Insight -- but that's just a guess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I procured a detailed Honda proprietary document back in Feb. 2018 that covers all significant engineering updates on the insight. It covers 30 pages of technical info. I'll include one more interesting tid bit as follow: Hydraulic Suspension Bushings- The Touring only has four Eng. / Tranny. fluid filled bushings to provide superior ride isolation as well as vibration control .These bushings are specifically tuned to provide minimum vibration transfer to the occupants, raising the new Insight to the level of one class above in terms of noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) suppression. The lower front control arms and rear trailing arms pivot in the fluid filled bushings which is designed to absorb road harshness and vibration for a smoother ride, while still retaining the precision needed for sharp, nimble handling.
For front suspension only, a specially ventilated under-cover allows airflow to cool the bushings, ensuring more consistent performance in all ambient temperature conditions, as well as better long term durability.
Touring models only include front and rear fluid filled bushings.
I have done extensive research on engineering improvements on all models and find there are many subtle improvements on Touring, not found on LX and EX models. So, if one can afford an Insight , by all means go for the Touring. Trade -in alone , you get the difference back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay so here is what Eibach is saying:

"We normally cater to other companies that purchase them in quantities of 50 or more. Its possible to do a one-off set of springs but the price is roughly $2,000 dollars and takes about 10 weeks."

So i was thinking maybe we could get 50 people that would like eibach pro kit suspensions system and get these guys to manufacture them. Should lower your car about an inch. Sway bars shocks and springs, anyone know how i would go about gathering people who might be interested?

·
Registered
37 Posts

"We normally cater to other companies that purchase them in quantities of 50 or more. Its possible to do a one-off set of springs but the price is roughly $2,000 dollars and takes about 10 weeks."

So i was thinking maybe we could get 50 people that would like eibach pro kit suspensions system and get these guys to manufacture them. Should lower your car about an inch. Sway bars shocks and springs, anyone know how i would go about gathering people who might be interested?
With all due respect, good luck. This is a hybrid car and many contemplating buying this car are doing so for simplicity, low maintenance, no mods necessary, efficient. Me coming from a Wrangler, if I do pull the trigger on either Insight or Accord hybrid I have zero plans to modify like Jeep. I’m looking to have reliability and fantastic mpg.

·
Registered
455 Posts

I don’t think I’d be comfortable lowering the car any more than it already is. I’m already a little concerned about the clearance being enough for a Minnesota winter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anyone else see the optional Insight spoiler? It adds nothing to the look of the Insight but I've only seen pictures. It's a flying wing type. It's the 1970s ... again. Maybe it gets you more mpg..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Anyone else see the optional Insight spoiler? It adds nothing to the look of the Insight but I've only seen pictures. It's a flying wing type. It's the 1970s ... again. Maybe it gets you more mpg..
I personally think it made a big difference in looks. But that is subjective...

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
I personally think it made a big difference in looks. But that is subjective...
It looks really good on your cosmic blue and other colors but I’m having a hard time being interested in one for my white after seeing it in my dealers showroom.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts