Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My fill-up tonight resulted in my best tank so far.

604 miles: 69.2mpg indicated / 69.3mpg actual

This is also the highest range estimate I've gotten. As long as temps are in the 50s or better, I believe I've managed to crack 70mpg on my 100-mile work round trip reliably.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
My fill-up tonight resulted in my best tank so far.

604 miles: 69.2mpg indicated / 69.3mpg actual

This is also the highest range estimate I've gotten. As long as temps are in the 50s or better, I believe I've managed to crack 70mpg on my 100-mile work round trip reliably.
hasarad, how are you achieving those fantastic numbers? A 100 mile R/T has got to be highway as you can't be driving through the city as I would think that would take forever. Are you driving in basically STANDARD mode? If so, what speed are you driving at - a lot of EV I'm assuming? Nevertheless GREAT JOB!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Impressive!
I as well have a 100 mile RT each day.
Waze usually has me go 50/50 hwy and city.
IMO these cars like to cruise in traffic or city streets better than the open hwy.
My best is 59.9 so far.

Hey Hasarad, what psi are you running in your tires?

Reactions: sEXzNsite

·
Super Moderator
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
808 - I'm running at 40psi on all four corners.

The drive is rolling country roads with an average 45mph speed. I am 100% in ECO mode. Other than a few traffic lights a a couple stop signs, there is never any traffic. I keep trip A (reset to ignition off) in front of me and mentally set a few waypoints to try to beat during the trip. I've steadily been creeping up in mileage since a familiar drive makes things easier to anticipate.

Reactions: sEXzNsite

·
Registered
146 Posts
Very impressive. I'm at the opposite end of the Fuelly bell curve for the 72 EX Insights registered in Fuelly. A lot of my driving includes highway speeds of 82-84 mph through Montana, South Dakota, and Wyoming where the posted speed limit is 80 mph. I also started my Fuelly stats in late November which was the start of a cold winter here in Eastern Washington. In town with the current warmer weather though, I am getting 55 mpg or so which is the EPA number. Very happy with overall gas mileage considering my circumstances.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Agreed, most impressive! It's amazing how the Insight guides us toward a more efficient driving style that best suits its powertrain. But I am getting nowhere near those numbers yet. I was in the mid-40s with my first two tanks and will crack 50 on my current tank after about two months of owning the Insight.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My last tank was 54.6 MPG, which made me really proud, considering the elevation changes along my route to and from work (see attachment). Unfortunately my current tank will probably only just break 50 MPG. I left the car on overnight and it burned half a gallon just sitting there. :(

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I filled up again today. I never thought I'd break 70. You gotta believe!

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
The drive is rolling country roads with an average 45mph speed. I am 100% in ECO mode. Other than a few traffic lights a a couple stop signs, there is never any traffic. I keep trip A (reset to ignition off) in front of me and mentally set a few waypoints to try to beat during the trip. I've steadily been creeping up in mileage since a familiar drive makes things easier to anticipate.
Warmer weather is awesome for sure! I'm getting similar % gains (+17%) since colder weather, but will never get 70 mpg round trip due to a long hill that's part of my daily commute.

My only 'complaint' about warmer weather is that it's changing my mileage waypoints during a drive. Battery level and ICE usage were very predictable and consistent in cold weather, but new drive rules seem needed for warm weather.

As an example:
- in warm weather, the car starts in EV and depletes HV battery before reaching the cold weather waypoint; ICE starts mid-drive to rebuild battery and is noticeable because I hear the ICE run due to battery <3-4 bars in sections that used to be 'quiet' drive stretches.
- in cold weather, the car starts with ICE and builds some extra HV battery before the cold weather waypoint; ICE then turns off from there point forward to consume HV battery.

Overall, the warmer weather and higher EV engagement is generating more mpg, but I'm re-learning new benchmarks and strategies to match warm-weather battery management to upcoming terrain in my drive.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What's your secret to such high MPG for those 607.9 miles?

·
Super Moderator
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What's your secret to such high MPG for those 607.9 miles?
No trip was shorter than 10 miles.
Anticipation.
Leave early.
Don't speed.
Park in the shade/garage.
Never compromise - run the A/C at 65 degrees.
No highway - back roads to work.
Don't play "death metal" music whilst driving.
Stop and visit mom on the way home from work.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,963 Posts
@hasarad probably doesn't sit in traffic much either.

I got 35mpg(AC on 75F recirculate) yesterday while sitting in horrible traffic. Took me 48 minutes, moving at an average of 7mph(according to google maps), to travel 6.5 miles... :plain:

·
Super Moderator
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@hasarad probably doesn't sit in traffic much either.

I got 35mpg(AC on 75F recirculate) yesterday while sitting in horrible traffic. Took me 48 minutes, moving at an average of 7mph(according to google maps), to travel 6.5 miles... :plain:
I just about never sit in traffic.

7mph? You could jog that fast! I guess the good part was that it was a short trip and only took 0.19 gallons.

There are benefits to living in farm country. Yes, it's New Jersey. Not everywhere in the state is as it seems on The Sopranos and Jersey Shore. I live where the hill people live. Picture a cross between the Beverly Hillbillies (before they "moved away from there") and Green Acres. #ihearbanjos

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,963 Posts
There are benefits to living in farm country. Yes, it's New Jersey. Not everywhere in the state is as it seems on The Sopranos and Jersey Shore. I live where the hill people live. Picture a cross between the Beverly Hillbillies (before they "moved away from there") and Green Acres. #ihearbanjos
I went to the farming areas of MA during the weekend and loved driving there compared to the city. The Insight must of liked it too because I got better fuel economy numbers even with all the hills. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Whats the difference between "death metal" and heavy metal?

No trip was shorter than 10 miles.
Anticipation.
Leave early.
Don't speed.
Park in the shade/garage.
Never compromise - run the A/C at 65 degrees.
No highway - back roads to work.
Don't play "death metal" music whilst driving.
Stop and visit mom on the way home from work.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Interested in hasarad's take, but per a quora 'metal' enthusiast: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-metal-heavy-metal-speed-metal-and-black-metal:

(Heavy) Metal is characterized by a setup of drums, electric guitar, electric bass, generally dark or serious lyrics, and (oftentimes, not always) harsh or unconventional vocals, and distinguished from hard rock by the riffs and more technical style.

Death Metal is from the USA and Sweden, and has growled and harsh vocals, whereas Black Metal is mainly from Norway and has high-pitched screamed vocals.

·
Super Moderator
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think death metal lead vocalists sing on the inhale part of a breath.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts