Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... I was wondering if we might need to start a thread on 'personal worst' tank, ha.
Great idea! My contribution below.

My worst was 3-27-19. It was 51.35 mpg, my third tankful that included mostly highway speeds and wet roads. For "in town" driving, what I usually do, my worst was 1-8-21 at 63.4 mpg. Which was confirmed 2-26-21 with 63.86 mpg. Lots of driving on wet roads was the major culprit.

·
Administrator
4,709 Posts
My worst was 3-27-19. It was 51.35 mpg, my third tankful that included mostly highway speeds and wet roads. For "in town" driving, what I usually do, my worst was 1-8-21 at 63.4 mpg. Which was confirmed 2-26-21 with 63.86 mpg. Lots of driving on wet roads was the major culprit.
Wow... 51 mpg isn't too shabby itself. It's around the ~53 mpg I average in cold weather with hill in my daily drive... but I can see how it's low/painful versus your 68 mpg average! :)

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,470 Posts
I am currently working on my all-time worst tank - 54.2mpg. It hurts! Cold weather, a good bit of high-speed highway and several short local trips killed this tank. This is only the second or third time I've had a tank in the 50s. I miss my 100-mile round-trip commute on back roads!

Reactions: Moviemike

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ya’ll crazy. I regularly get low 40s driving high speed on the highway with climate control on sport mode.

·
Registered
2019 EX White Pearl Orchid
69 Posts
You guys are all bragging! If you don't get under 40 you shouldn't be allowed on this channel. ;)
Here I am !! I have gotten 34-35 mpg !! The week of Negative 22 / Negative 26 degrees F. (without windchill) A lot of running without going anywhere !!

Winter time I will see 38-39 often... majority of the driving is all highway speeds...

·
Registered
70 Posts
The worst I got was 35 mpg right after an oil change and inspection service. I guess they left the car idling for a bit.

·
Super Moderator
1,470 Posts
I am currently working on my all-time worst tank - 54.2mpg. It hurts! Cold weather, a good bit of high-speed highway and several short local trips killed this tank. This is only the second or third time I've had a tank in the 50s. I miss my 100-mile round-trip commute on back roads!
Filled up today - 53.5mpg over 395 miles. Officially my worst tank ever. Oh, the humanity!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Filled up today - 53.5mpg over 395 miles. Officially my worst tank ever. Oh, the humanity!

View attachment 6471
Thanks for the dedication to your Fuelly account! (y) I've mentioned that my commute is 120 miles round trip, 85% highway @ 70 mph. Your Fuelly shows a 76% highway, although you mentioned having a shorter commute now. I'm hoping I get anywhere near your worst tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Different car here too. While driving with light foot I was getting 42mpg highway and 53 city with good air pressures and 0/20 oil. 45 mpg highway and 58 in city with 0 toe alignment and 0/16 oil. But nothing like these numbers. Occasionally I will manage 70+ on mediocre short drive or 60ish mpg long term at around 60mph. Seems to be sweet spot. Whether your numbers are exaggerated, environment helps, or made spot on custom changes ...I am still a bit jealous lol

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,907 Posts
My previous tank of gas was my worst at 36.7mpg. Reason explained here.

Here's what I managed the previous 2 Winters and Summer.
Jan. & Feb. 2019 Winter: 41-42mpg per tank
Jan. & Feb. 2020 Winter: 45-47mpg per tank (Didn't snow much and felt warmer than average Winter)
Jan. & Feb. 2021 Winter: 43-44mpg w/ 1 tank at 36.7mpg
2019 Summer: 51-53mpg per tank
2020 Summer: 50-56mpg per tank

Just for fun, I have this picture from October when I had my uncle's CRV Hybrid for a day. First 2 trips (4.4 & 6.8 miles) were on local roads. The 3rd one (22.4miles) was mostly highway.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow... 51 mpg isn't too shabby itself. It's around the ~53 mpg I average in cold weather with hill in my daily drive... but I can see how it's low/painful versus your 68 mpg average! :)
Actually I was quite pleased with that 51, as I was expecting the high 40's. On that highway trip I made good use (lots of ev) in the town between home and destination. Also there is a big ev opportunity coming into my town from the North. I was able to squeeze-out that 51 just prior to fill up. I took the same trip a year later and got 53.x. Indicating all the highway mpg stuff we all've been talking about has a measurable effect on the cars' lifetime mpg.

·
Super Moderator
1,470 Posts
Drove with my son to/from DeSales University today for a campus tour. About 20 miles each way. Temps were in the low 70s. FINALLY able to get back to the low-70s mpg for the round-trip! Cold is definitely a mileage-killer!

·
Registered
9 Posts
for anyone whose personal worst was in the 50mpg range: are you driving with the heat turned on?

I find that the real mileage killer, for me at least, is having the heat turned on as the vehicle won’t ever switch to EV mode.

·
Super Moderator
1,470 Posts
for anyone whose personal worst was in the 50mpg range: are you driving with the heat turned on?

I find that the real mileage killer, for me at least, is having the heat turned on as the vehicle won’t ever switch to EV mode.
During my personal worst tank in the mid-50s, I did not use the heat. All factors were the same with the exception of the trips being a bit shorter, colder temps and winter fuel.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Yes I drive with the heat on for brief periods, then turn it off to access ev mode.
I have heat on only during periods when the engine is on for battery charging.

·
Administrator
4,709 Posts
I drive without the climate control running (passive heating) but I have a hill in my daily drive. In cold ambient temps, I get less HV battery charge on the downhill regen portion, and less HV battery help on the uphill climb... netting ~52 mpg tank as my low.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Insight Touring E-CVT
12 Posts

I am finding that rain hurts more than heat. As others have mentioned only use heat when engine is running anyway.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts