Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I designed a custom phone mount using a 3D-Printer. The mount sits in the phone tray and is tilted 20 degrees towards the driver and about 10 degrees from vertical.

The stand is modular so I can add holders for other phones:

Shot of stand showing how it is secured to the car. It basically sits in phone tray:

Thoughts, suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
3,320 Posts
Interesting addition and design. Have you created something like this before? Do you plan to view/access your phone while plugged in? If so, it seems low as most other controls are accessible on the display screen above it and/or thru verbal commands (?).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, does anyone even look at their phone anymore?
Not as much. But I find there are times when I need to look at my phone. For example, my library uses Hoopla for audiobooks. But Hoopla is not displayed on Apple Car Play. Plus the maps app works as a companion to the phone. The phone shows the turn-by-turn directions while the Apple Car Play shows the map.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting addition and design. Have you created something like this before? Do you plan to view/access your phone while plugged in? If so, it seems low as most other controls are accessible on the display screen above it and/or thru verbal commands (?).
Yea I've designed a bunch of items. It is kind of a hobby. Here are a few designs I published on Thingiverse.

I find the placement to be ok. It is perfectly angled for my height/seat position. I didn't want it too high as it might block other controls. Like someone else said, most of the time I am using Apple Car Play. This is just for secondary usage.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Any thoughts of making them available to Insight owners?

In different colors to match interiors (although I like the way your holder looks already)?

What do you think it costs you to make and what price would you sell it for?

There'd probably be a bigger market than just Honda Insights, too!

My sense about it is that it serves as an actual holder, not even as a viewer, as opposed to a phone, lying there free, capable of flying around!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Phone holder recommendation needed

So I like the place to put the phone. I really want to use the place to put my phone there. But it's black, my phone case is black...it's a heatwave here. So today while driving home my phone decided the temperature was too hot and shut itself down to cool down. Kinda of killed the navigation for me...but I managed. I moved the phone to cup holder area and it was able to cool down after a couple minutes.

So does anyone have a fun way to keep the phone holder area cool so the phones don't overheat?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I toss my phone on top of the infotainment screen, in front of the air vents (which would only work with A/C on). If direct sunlight is too much of an issue, you can always slide your cupholder back, and set the phone down into the "big cup holder" not the two that slide. It minimizes cord obstruction and removes the phone from direct sunlight. Plus is, if you have cold drinks in the cupholder, it's cooler down there, than anywhere else from what I've found.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you want to use the phone area, I find that if I set my phone up on it's side, it gets less hot, I just set the phone to whichever side seems to be less directly in the sunlight.

The USB ports (and respective cable plugged in) have been enough to hold the phone there unless I'm pulling some major "emergency situation" type of lateral g forces.

·
Super Moderator
3,320 Posts
So does anyone have a fun way to keep the phone holder area cool so the phones don't overheat?
I mostly use the bluetooth connection and have my phone tucked away. But you asked for 'fun' ideas, so here are a couple... the first two from elsewhere in the forum, and the last one inspired by your question. :)

1 - 3D Printed Custom Phone Mount - keeps phone at usable angle and out of flat contact with mat/surface
2 - Angled Aftermarket Phone Charger/Stand - multi-purpose, keeps phone at angle to improve ventilation
3 - USB Flex Neck Mini Fan - if you've got a USB port to spare, why not use it to cool down the phone area?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here’s a fun idea I use....I place my toll responder on the right side of the holder area and prop my phone on it. It never moves and has the benefit of keeping the phone cool and keeping the screen angled towards the driver so I can see navigation/email & text notifications with a glance. Plus, it’s easy to pick up the phone since you can get your fingers under it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I like the fan idea. I have a plug into the 12 volt to power the kids phones in the back. But on commute to work I can plug the fan in. Will try it out.

I mostly use the bluetooth connection and have my phone tucked away. But you asked for 'fun' ideas, so here are a couple... the first two from elsewhere in the forum, and the last one inspired by your question. [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

1 - 3D Printed Custom Phone Mount - keeps phone at usable angle and out of flat contact with mat/surface
2 - Angled Aftermarket Phone Charger/Stand - multi-purpose, keeps phone at angle to improve ventilation
3 - USB Flex Neck Mini Fan - if you've got a USB port to spare, why not use it to cool down the phone area?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've actually used HD velcro with good success. It doesn't take a very big piece and you can put it anywhere. I've never had a problem removing it either (carefully). It actually helps having a 'dot' of it on the back of my phone case when holding and talking on the phone. It comes it different colors too. I wouldn't stick it on any soft/leather surfaces but on the harder surfaces it works well.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
So I like the place to put the phone. I really want to use the place to put my phone there. But it's black, my phone case is black...it's a heatwave here. So today while driving home my phone decided the temperature was too hot and shut itself down to cool down. Kinda of killed the navigation for me...but I managed. I moved the phone to cup holder area and it was able to cool down after a couple minutes.

I just toss my phone onto the passenger seat and cover it with a white napkin on days where it's too hot for the phone tray area. :D

·
Super Moderator
3,320 Posts
I just toss my phone onto the passenger seat and cover it with a white napkin on days where it's too hot for the phone tray area. :D
Do you have a long USB cord that reaches to seat, or do you just choose to use in Bluetooth mode in these warmer conditions?

·
Registered
30 Posts
How to mount a cellphone?

What solutions have people settled on for mounting a phone insight the Gen3 Insight, especially the EX?

I know there's a phone "cradle" next to the gear shifter, but...

1. Flat is not optimal for viewing, and I work in the gig economy, so I need good visibility to my screen.
  2. The phone fits, but there's not enough room on the sides of the phone to easily pick it back up again.
  3. You can't connect a charger to the bottom of my phone while it sits in that cradle.
So I need a better solution. However...

• I've used this vent-based mount before, but the vents on my Insight are not conducive to this solution.
  • I've also used this dashboard-based mount before, but the dashboard on the Insight doesn't have the right shape and texture for this.
  • I know @PacketPaul 3D-printed a custom one, but that's not an option for me.
  • I don't like windshield mounts because every one I've tried loses suction.
In the meantime, I consider this to be unsolved problem that is actively a nuisance. Curious how others have dealt with it...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts