Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
My 2020 Insight EX went in for a tire rotation, inspection and oil change at 25, 300. Mechanic sent me a snapshot of the inspection and picture of front rotor pitting. I live in Eastern PA, Not overly wet or moist and typically park car in garage. I was disappointed to see the wearing rotor. Mechanic told me something to watch and didnt try to push replacement, and was wondering if this is typical for the Insight at 25 K.. Was hoping there was a recall or warrantly about this but can't find anything
Thanks in advance

· Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,851 Posts
That's a lot of rust for 25K. Do you keep it outside? I'd be suspect of a stuck slide pin causing a pad to drag. Neither of my Insights ('19 with 48K and '21 with 23K) have anything like that pertaining to rotor wear. If there's still meat on the pads, grooves in the rotors is odd. It looks a little bit beyond just "keep an eye on it."

· Registered
408 Posts
The pic suggests some crud has got between the pad and rotor, causing the grooves. Could be a small pebble or other hard object that got embedded in the pad material, or even faulty pad material that isn’t wearing correctly. How does the rotor on the other side look? If the pad material itself is faulty, Honda should replace the pad and rotor. If it’s crud that got in there, it will be considered normal wear so don’t expect Honda to give you a new rotor. They may do it, just don’t expect it.

My car has 73k and is predominately driven in town in wet Florida and the rotors are all smooth, with no grooves or rust.

Reactions: jensight

· Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,349 Posts
They might resurface them if you're still under warranty. That's what my dealership did for me when I was at 5,000 miles.

· Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,349 Posts
The salt and de-icing chemicals get mixed in with slush and water. That liquid can go into the nooks of the wheel hub and brakes.

· Registered
692 Posts
I was thinking the grooves on your rotors built-up corrosion and it spread to the wheel hub, forming rust, that’s my best explanation. If your other wheel hubs and rotors are fine, then this would be a good explanation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts