Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Insight used, I noticed that it has been tagged by Pivotal Security (https://www.psportal.com/pivotal-security/) with the Nation Safe Drivers Traceable Theft Protection Program (https://www.nsdmc.com/NSD_OGK/products/automotive/traceable-theft-protection.asp).

Hard to find any opinion online on whether this is worth anything as a disincentive to thieves/fences or the benefits to you after your car has been stolen.

These programs seem very marketed to dealers, so I'm not sure where the individual consumer fits in.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
A few questions... can you share where the tags are located? Is it something that is visible and can be checked by other owners? Is the tagging physical or electronic? Any idea if the dealer added this, or if it was done by prior owner?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few questions... can you share where the tags are located? Is it something that is visible and can be checked by other owners? Is the tagging physical or electronic? Any idea if the dealer added this, or if it was done by prior owner?
Stickers in the front driver and passenger window are conspicuous ones (I noticed also the Honda Roadside Assistance sticker was not applied straight on my Touring)...but the tag with a unique code is definitely found under the trunk lid edge. Not where you'd look all the time (usually you're looking into the trunk, not the back side of the lip). I forget where else they hid the stickers that'd you'd come across them.

I'm really inclined to peel off that Pivotal Security stickers in the window along with the crooked Honda Roadside Assistance sticker (I'm guessing I can always get a new one from the dealer).

-elvin-

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Do you know if you have the service/coverage as continuation from dealer or prior owner, or are the stickers just unusable remnants? I definitely don't have the stickers nor aftermarket alarm system, and based on your descriptions, am not sad that either are missing.

·
Super Moderator
2,350 Posts
When I bought my Insight used, I noticed that it has been tagged by Pivotal Security (https://www.psportal.com/pivotal-security/) with the Nation Safe Drivers Traceable Theft Protection Program (https://www.nsdmc.com/NSD_OGK/products/automotive/traceable-theft-protection.asp).

Hard to find any opinion online on whether this is worth anything as a disincentive to thieves/fences or the benefits to you after your car has been stolen.

These programs seem very marketed to dealers, so I'm not sure where the individual consumer fits in.
Nation Safe Drivers Traceable Theft Protection Program places a special identification code (and Nations Safe Drivers' 800 number) on your vehicle. This makes the vehicle traceable by police, so the thieves cannot sell it, because no one will risk buying it. With the Nation Safe Drivers' 800 number on your vehicle, anyone can call and report the vehicle stolen.
Sounds like a waste of money(previous owner paid) to buy a bunch of stickers and a small insurance to get your deductible back from the comprehensive portion of your auto insurance. Nobody is going to call that number on the sticker unless the cops found it by luck. At least with something like LoJack, they provide special equipment to police departments that can help them locate the vehicle, and have the hidden transponder installed on the vehicle send out a chirp on a low frequency reserved from the FCC.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sounds like a waste of money(previous owner paid) to buy a bunch of stickers and a small insurance to get your deductible back from the comprehensive portion of your auto insurance. Nobody is going to call that number on the sticker unless the cops found it by luck. At least with something like LoJack, they provide special equipment to police departments that can help them locate the vehicle, and have the hidden transponder installed on the vehicle send out a chirp on a low frequency reserved from the FCC.
I find it hard to believe that dealers would invest in this. I wonder if the whole idea of using the "promotional dealer" language is to fool consumers into thinking that if dealers use it...then it must be good! Although would explain somethings about why CARFAX reported wheel locks installed on my Touring but not having them when I bought it used. The original dealer must have been very paranoid about something happening to the car.

Anyway... I'm getting ready my window scraper...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts