Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found some time to play around with playlists on my USB drive. I had only been using folders until now. Playlist creation was difficult at first, and it seems like it will continue to be so unless someone has an easier way...

I was able to get playlists to work by using VLC to create them (no, I don't use iTunes and won't), but only after a good bit of manipulation. If I put a list together and save it with VLC, is uses character codes (%xx stuff) in place of odd characters (like spaces and non-alphanumerics). If I leave it that way, the playlist will remain greyed out and not available in the UI of the car even though VLC reads it fine. I need to manually edit the m3u file to correct it. As well, VLC adds extraneous lines to the playlist file which also needs to be removed (# comment lines). Also, also, it didn't like any non-English characters like the "ö" in Motörhead.

Is there a simple way around these limitations? Is there an alternative to VLC for playlist creation? It took a good bit of time to ferret out all these issues. I'd just like to know any newly created lists will work before I take them to the car. Once on the road, it's too late!

Thanks in advance my audiophile friends!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I used WinAmp for many years. Looks like it is still a thing. Was very easy to create playlists. Have not used it in quite some time as I have just been setting my drive up for random.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey @WorldThatHeSees! Thanks for the tip on WinAmp! It works great and really kicks the Llama's a**.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts