Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Came back here after a few weeks away and couldn't find the General Discussion forum!

It's now buried inside the Tech Section, an odd location for a general discussion! It's also all the way down at the bottom of that one. It literally took me minutes to find it as I looked under several other more appropriate forums first.

I would recommend that the Complaints forum be a sub-category under another forum and that the General Discussion forum be the first one listed under Forums. Why highlight Complaints over General Discussion?

Right now, there's an Ownership forum, but it's only for new member introductions.

In other words, I think a reorganization of the forums and the lists is called for!

If it all confused me as a veteran of the forum, I can only imagine what a new member goes through. I mean, where would they post a basic question? Or, post their initial experiences? Or, simply want to discuss the Insight generally? Looking under Tech wouldn't be the first instinct!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, no interest in taking charge! But, hey, the forum owner kindly invited feedback on the forum and provided an entire sub-forum for reviewing it, so I thought I'd post some feedback!

Doesn't it seem weird to you that General Discussion is a sub-forum under the Tech section?! 馃檲 馃檴 馃檳

It sure did to me and I was only gone a few weeks!

Super Moderator
Hi, there! We reorganized the sections, because the "General Discussion" section was an enormous dumping ground and hard for forum members to wade through. People were posting there first by default, rather than reviewing existing forums/threads for related topics.

500 (of 800!) threads were moved out of the "General Discussion" area to topic-specific sections to help everyone find/navigate existing topics and to eliminate duplicate threads (e.g. 10 threads on spare tire). The structure seems to be working well for most, and new threads are now starting out in topic-specific sections. As an example - the thread on "2020 Models now on Honda Website" fit under the "News" section, and "Favorite Feature of Honda Insight" fit under the "Features & Equipment" section and have been relocated out of "General Discussion" to those topic-specific forums.

Please give it a try and let us know what you think after after a few days! It's a bit of culture change, but hoping the new format will keep our great content easy for everyone to find and reference going forward.

Registered
Nope, no interest in taking charge! But, hey, the forum owner kindly invited feedback on the forum and provided an entire sub-forum for reviewing it, so I thought I'd post some feedback!

Doesn't it seem weird to you that General Discussion is a sub-forum under the Tech section?! 馃檲 馃檴 馃檳

It sure did to me and I was only gone a few weeks!
I'm going to assume you knew I was pulling your leg and you were just trying to further explain why you were wondering why the section had moved.馃槈

Super Moderator
I'm going to assume you knew I was pulling your leg and you were just trying to further explain why you were wondering why the section had moved.馃槈

Just so you know we can't see the emojis you post on some devices. :p

Registered

Just so you know we can't see the emojis you post on some devices. [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Wonderful. So now I look like an obnoxious jerk. Well, I'm obnoxious but not a jerk. Well. Hmmmm. Maybe I should rephrase that. Soooorrrryyy if I came off mean. 馃槥

Super Moderator
Wonderful. So now I look like an obnoxious jerk. Well, I'm obnoxious but not a jerk. Well. Hmmmm. Maybe I should rephrase that. Soooorrrryyy if I came off mean. 馃槥
I occasionally google the characters to see what emoji Verdier intended. The characters are HTML encoding of emojis. It's an entertaining exercise, coz I never know what I'm going to get. Small sample is attached as thumbnail.

also, deja vu... 馃槑 - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/3-new-forum-member-introductions/2102-new-owner-hondalink-not-able-set-up-2.html

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I'm getting used to the new arrangement 鈥 sort of!

You certainly make a good case that a reorganization was needed 鈥 especially as General was becoming a dumping ground, as you put it. If there was a notice about the changes, I missed it!

I still find myself tapping on Honda Ownership by mistake and still think having something called 鈥淕eneral Discussion鈥 under the Tech Section is weird! Maybe it should be retitled as 鈥淭ech Miscellaneous鈥.

In any case, I鈥檒l keep adjusting. I think the hardest part now is being overwhelmed by TOO Many choices of forums.

I also wish that that one's own posts could be found in one's user panel as well as under Search. In nearly all websites I use on the net that's where a person's posts are.

In any case, Verdier, no harm, no foul. But I did feel like I landed on another planet when I returned after being away for a while. Besides that, we need to get you an emoji translator so it shows your icons!

Super Moderator
In any case, I鈥檒l keep adjusting. I think the hardest part now is being overwhelmed by TOO Many choices of forums.

I also wish that that one's own posts could be found in one's user panel as well as under Search. In nearly all websites I use on the net that's where a person's posts are.
Understand your concerns, and appreciate your giving the new structure a go!

We created a welcome/orientation message that new members receive upon registering, and briefly "bumped" the tips to the top of forum for a few days - but not everyone has seen yet (~80 views, 700+ members). The tips are also posted as a 'sticky' at the top of the "New Member Introduction" forum: https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/3-new-forum-member-introductions/2972-welcome-gen3-insight-forum.html#post20252

Here are some tips from the summary to try, to see if they address your navigation concerns:
To find your own posts:
Click on your member name ("Welcome, <member name>"), then select the 'Statistics' tab to "Find all posts..." or "Find all threads..." started by yourself.

To finds posts by another person OR on a specific topic:
You can navigate to their member page and use the same technique as above, OR use the 'Tools --> Advanced Search' feature. The Advanced Search lets you enter a topic/phrase for search and/or a forum member name. You could use this method to search for your own prior posts on a topic as well.

To catch up on topics/posts since last login:
Try using the 'Active Topics' or 'New Posts' links at the top of page. 'Active Topics' shows a list of posts under discussion for the past 1-2 days, while the 'New Posts' link shows a wider time frame. In both areas, BOLD text highlight posts which haven't been viewed since last log in. Clicking on the solid gray arrow (>) in the 'Last Post' column will take you to posts added since your last log in. You can also set up alerts in your USER CP if desired, where you can subscribe to specific forums of interest and/or set up email notifications.​

Hope these tips help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts