Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I’m at about 60k miles now and I suspect since I’m picking up so many people for Uber/Lyft, something inside the rear seats has degraded and now I’m getting this popping when you sit back on the seat and move forward where your back is not touching anymore. I only had one passenger bring it up yesterday but I knew about the problem for about 2 weeks now.

It’s slightly annoying for me because it’s my car. It’s just a little popping sensation when you back is released from seat and when you push in.

I took my car into Honda today for service and I asked if they could check it out but they can only do the service scheduled as they are low on staff.

Worse case scenario is I take my car into an auto upholstery shop. I’m not sure how they would fix it though without cutting because there’s no way to access the inside of seats.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
It sounds like you're describing something related to the bottom cushion (?). Can you clarify what you mean by 'pushing in'? And is the pop just a noise, or is it a physical shift or movement?

The rear bottom seat cushion and construction is pretty basic, and some pictures from @maynyrd150 are posted in the following thread - Rear seat bottom removal

You mentioned that your VIN isn't affected by the fuel pump recall, but if it were, both the rear seat back and rear bottom cushion get removed and would be opportunity to check/inspect. Diagram of these steps is below; the only connection point is the two 'seat hook handles' at the front bottom of the cushion. You could check if yours are seated properly in these areas.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s the part where your upper-mid back rests (not bottom). It doesn’t make any noise (maybe a faint flexing sound ) but it’s more of a feeling of something going in and out.

It’s almost as if the material inside the seat has degraded and now it’s flexing.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just went to a local upholstery place and he told me their is a metal frame inside back seats (which I totally forgot about). We were checking it out with trunk open to see how it looks from trunk view on back side and if you press your hand again back when someone sits , you can really feel the metal flex.

He wanted 400 to take out the seats, take it apart, And weld some reinforcement bars back there so they don’t flex. That would seem like a permanent solution as opposed to getting another frame from Honda, which would cost a lot and most likely the problem would come back.

Seems like a bad seat frame design by Honda. At least on LX..

I’m going to shop around a bit as 400 seems kind of high.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Wouldn't the issue be a warranty item, or does the fact you use your vehicle for Lyft nix that?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wouldn't the issue be a warranty item, or does the fact you use your vehicle for Lyft nix that?
I passed 36k.. and no extended warranty..And even if I did have warranty, Honda would most likely just replace the frame, not permanently fixing the problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A lot of newer vehicles seats are like you are describing. A cushion with a coat hanger size wire. The wires are more for just mounting the cushion, not support. You can toy around with the idea of removing the wire entirely and securing the cushion another way. You could try velcro, but my experience is that does not particularly stand up to punishment over time.If you can find a spray on foam that is compatible, you can add a layer and have more of a resistance fit.Maybe even try magnets if you can find some strong ones.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The magnets is a good idea (I’m assuming to fit behind seats so metal flexes back and stays that way).. only downside I could see to that is if I wanted super-strong magnets , they may be heavy .. but I’m going to look into that before getting upholstery work done ..

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
The magnets is a good idea (I’m assuming to fit behind seats so metal flexes back and stays that way).. only downside I could see to that is if I wanted super-strong magnets , they may be heavy .. but I’m going to look into that before getting upholstery work done ..
What option did you end up using to address the rear seat frame flexing?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried some cheapo magnets from Amazon that were reviewed as super strong but that didn’t work so I took it to an upholsterer and he gave me 2 options ..

One was to weld extra bars to frame (there are a few bars running vertically by the metal panel inside seat), which would’ve cost more since the seat cushion wouldn’t protrude a little and he had to weld .. Or screw a thin piece of wood with some aluminum bars behind it, which is what I went with.

The seat sticks just a little out over stock but flexing is completely gone and I think it may be even more comfy than before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts