Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is related to the topic. Was driving to work this morning and noticed the power flow on the infotainment was not showing any power flow. Looked to the DII scrolled to the power flow screen and power flow was displaying. First time its ever done that, weird. Got to work put the car in park turned off the car then back on. the infotainment now displays my range (it wasnt before) no power flow obviously cause im not moving.

A short video that I took

https://youtu.be/5MFhIAV9da8

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Haven't heard of this incident before, and your video was enlightening. The existing thread on infotainment reboot is literally the entire infotainment screen going blank and starting itself back up. Your issue seems different (?) in that something was still displaying on the infotainment screen, and the system didn't restart itself... AND both the DII and Infotainment screens stopped displaying the Power Flow information.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've had a similar situation where the gps feature would not show on the dii screen for some reason. I shut off the vehicle and about 15 minutes later it worked again. Honda's software is very glitchy and to be honest I seriously doubt they'll fix any of it any time soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
.... AND both the DII and Infotainment screens stopped displaying the Power Flow information.
Correction DII was displaying blue power flow, battery to wheels. Infotainment displayed nothing. No range and no flow.

Couple months ago I posted about my infotainment went black. I never got to rebooting the system, until today. Hopefully nothing new happens again...
I

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Correction DII was displaying blue power flow, battery to wheels. Infotainment displayed nothing. No range and no flow.
Thanks, rewatched the video. I try to keep the info displayed on the DII and Infotainment different, but if this occurs, it's a good reminder to check both places for functionality.

There's a thread in the 10th Gen Accord Hybrid forum which mentions an error message that appears for a few people. There wasn't a great description/resolution (i.e. went away on its own), but some theories on why the message appears.

Based on your video, it doesn't seem like the Insight provides this error message, but maybe it should... https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/unfortunately-there-is-no-power-flow.535027/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, rewatched the video. I try to keep the info displayed on the DII and Infotainment different, but if this occurs, it's a good reminder to check both places for functionality.

There's a thread in the 10th Gen Accord Hybrid forum which mentions an error message that appears for a few people. There wasn't a great description/resolution (i.e. went away on its own), but some theories on why the message appears.

Based on your video, it doesn't seem like the Insight provides this error message, but maybe it should... Unfortunately there is no power flow
No error message popped up. I usually start the car sit for a bit 3 minutes maybe. Car starts out in EV but engine turns on once I turn on the heaters. If there was an error i would have made note of an error message. As I started driving maybe 1/4 mile in that's when i looked at the infotainment and noticed things weren't moving. Pressed home button pressed AM/FM to see if it maybe froze? and went back to the power flow screen. Nothing. So I scrolled thru the DII to the power flow. DII was working. I was thinking what the heck? Why is it not synchronized? Maybe it was cold? Idk. It fixed itself after I parked. 8 hours later get off work, start the car and everything was normally displayed on the infotainment.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Probably a software glitch more than hardware failure similar to a few owners that were stuck in km instead of miles. Doing a hard reboot of the infotainment system will fix it if turning off/on the car does not. Our infotainment systems haven't receive a software update since the 3rd gen Insight went on sale last year. I do know Honda has a fix for the Touring Insight relating to Google Maps via Android Auto. I assume they're sitting on a ton of other bug fixes not in a rush to release it since our infotainment system at least functions properly 90% of the time. Also a new software update could bring along new problems so maybe they're just taking their time doing QA.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
As I started driving maybe 1/4 mile in that's when i looked at the infotainment and noticed things weren't moving. Pressed home button pressed AM/FM to see if it maybe froze? and went back to the power flow screen. Nothing. So I scrolled thru the DII to the power flow. DII was working. I was thinking what the heck? Why is it not synchronized? Maybe it was cold? Idk. It fixed itself after I parked. 8 hours later get off work, start the car and everything was normally displayed on the infotainment.
Yes, it was clear from your description and video that there wasn't any error message or advance warning. I shared the Accord info intending to say that something on the Accord is set up to at least provide an alert, while the Insight just seems to die without warning.

When you pressed HOME button and AM/FM, did the screens display normally or were they also blank/inactive. Was Power Flow the only screen that didn't display properly on the infotainment screen at the time?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah pressing the other buttons they were working. FM was displaying the correct song that was playing. Should I wait for it to happen again and then take it in to the dealer?

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Yeah pressing the other buttons they were working. FM was displaying the correct song that was playing. Should I wait for it to happen again and then take it in to the dealer?
Wouldn't hurt to report it to dealer to formally document the issue, get their input on what to do if it happens again, and maybe (?) see if there's an error code from that instance. You have the video to show that it happened, so you shouldn't have to wait for it to happen again.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have had the error.. It's just a program error - powerflow has stopped working/responding. It's the same glitch as the Accord. No big deal - it started working just fine afterwards. Android has memory issues - and this is a product of that. There's nothing wrong with your car - just android.. If it keeps happening, you may want to do a reset on the system. Insightfully can probably direct you to the forum link with the videos.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I have had the error.. It's just a program error - powerflow has stopped working/responding. It's the same glitch as the Accord. No big deal - it started working just fine afterwards. Android has memory issues - and this is a product of that. There's nothing wrong with your car - just android.. If it keeps happening, you may want to do a reset on the system. Insightfully can probably direct you to the forum link with the videos.
Information for infotainment reboot is at this link :) - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/290-2019-honda-insight-user-interface/2602-infotainment-system-restarting-rebooting-instructions.html

Did you get the same error message as mentioned above in the Accord forum (snapshot below)?

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Information for infotainment reboot is at this link :) - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/290-2019-honda-insight-user-interface/2602-infotainment-system-restarting-rebooting-instructions.html

Did you get the same error message as mentioned above in the Accord forum (snapshot below)?

I got the above error once on the Insight back in the summer. It's just a software/app crash. Each tile is an individual app that can crash just like on any other Android system when you leave the system on for a long time without rebooting(The Android infotainment system goes into standby instead of turning off with the car).

^Here's the Insight's owner manual explaining it.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Odd that OP didn't see this same message...

No error message popped up. I usually start the car sit for a bit 3 minutes maybe. Car starts out in EV but engine turns on once I turn on the heaters. If there was an error i would have made note of an error message. As I started driving maybe 1/4 mile in that's when i looked at the infotainment and noticed things weren't moving.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My power flow stopped once when I overfilled my tank. I was trying to see if it would up the range so I topped off the tank. The powerflow stopped working until i used some gas and brought it back to the normal range. It only stopped on the infotainment screen not on the gauge display.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
My power flow stopped once when I overfilled my tank. I was trying to see if it would up the range so I topped off the tank. The powerflow stopped working until i used some gas and brought it back to the normal range. It only stopped on the infotainment screen not on the gauge display.
Interesting connection between gas fill and power flow... or maybe just odd coincidence?

I keep the power flow up on the infotainment screen and have yet to see this issue/message... and hope to keep it that way. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Odd that OP didn't see this same message...
You can only get this message if the power flow app fully crashes upon boot up of the infotainment system. The error pops up when the disclaimer screen appears. You can sort of see the disclaimer box behind the error message in the Accord pic, too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts