Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A crowded garage, like this Honda owner!
Funny video! I hadn't seen before. Thankfully my garage isn't that bad (yet). The parking sensor proximity is real, and lets me maximize space in my garage for sure. But the folding side mirror would be a nice addition to the Insight, from the HR-V.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Funny video! I hadn't seen before. Thankfully my garage isn't that bad (yet). The parking sensor proximity is real, and lets me maximize space in my garage for sure. But the folding side mirror would be a nice addition to the Insight, from the HR-V.
The Japanese Insight have power folding side mirrors.
^You can see the button at 4:43.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd love to have the power-folding mirrors from the Japanese Insight.. as well as pretty much everything else I could retro-fit lol.

If anyone has a Japanese source/person we can connect with, i'd love to order some OEM parts and i'll be the guinea pig and start making parts work on our USA cars.

Also, if the Insight is built here in the States for the JDM market, we should be able to source JDM parts easier/cheaper this way as well.

The '16 and newer Civic was never offered in Japan.. but it was offered in other Asian markets and I ordered quite a few "asian" OEM pieces for the USA Civic so hopefully we will start seeing some neat OEM options popping up..

The Power-folds are by far most coveted... My Touring is ONE WEEK OLD and someone already hit the mirror!!

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd love to have the power-folding mirrors from the Japanese Insight.. as well as pretty much everything else I could retro-fit lol.

If anyone has a Japanese source/person we can connect with, i'd love to order some OEM parts and i'll be the guinea pig and start making parts work on our USA cars.

Also, if the Insight is built here in the States for the JDM market, we should be able to source JDM parts easier/cheaper this way as well.
@gremal located an importer named 'Shin' when looking to upgrade the front grille to chrome, and perhaps could share contact info. Also helpful was referring to the Gen3 Insight as "ZE4" for JDM parts. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/258-2019-honda-insight-features-equipment/2002-can-we-take-moment-appreciate-how-beautiful-japanese-insight-4.html

·
Registered
29 Posts
@gremal located an importer named 'Shin' when looking to upgrade the front grille to chrome, and perhaps could share contact info. Also helpful was referring to the Gen3 Insight as "ZE4" for JDM parts. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/258-2019-honda-insight-features-equipment/2002-can-we-take-moment-appreciate-how-beautiful-japanese-insight-4.html
I would love to be in contact with them and start with the grill (which looks amazing). When I go to install my front/rear parking sensors it would be the perfect time to install the grill while the front bumper is off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also, does it appear the JDM Insight has auto up and down on all 4 windows as well? I wonder if that functionality is just in the switches.. would be an easy swap if so.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would love to be in contact with them and start with the grill (which looks amazing). When I go to install my front/rear parking sensors it would be the perfect time to install the grill while the front bumper is off.
In case you hadn't yet come across the thread for parking sensors, @AMCooper63 shared a time lapse video and tips for DIY install in the following thread: https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/564-2019-honda-insight-accessories-add-ons/448-parking-sensors-3.html

Also, does it appear the JDM Insight has auto up and down on all 4 windows as well? I wonder if that functionality is just in the switches.. would be an easy swap if so.
Not sure whether all 4 windows have auto up/down on the Japanese Insight, as it's not a feature highlighted on in videos. My experience so far with Hondas is that only the front windows have this feature.

Using the "double press & hold of unlock button" on the key fob (while the car is stopped) is a jerry-rigged option, but doesn't provide auto-down control of individual windows.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Found a picture of the driver door controls on a Japanese Honda. The front driver and passenger controls aren't labeled "auto" like the US model. Also, the folding power mirror control is an additional button on the door controls.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
I second this! My garage is tight.. It would be nice not rolling down the window when its raining.
I too have a tight garage and used to fold in my mirrors every time. I eventually got used to simply looking at the mirror while driving it. If it's within an inch of the garage door frame, I'm good. I got the hang of it and can do it without any effort now. I was surprised how much wider the Insight was than my 1999 Civic.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I too have a tight garage and used to fold in my mirrors every time. I eventually got used to simply looking at the mirror while driving it. If it's within an inch of the garage door frame, I'm good. I got the hang of it and can do it without any effort now. I was surprised how much wider the Insight was than my 1999 Civic.
True dat... the Insight is almost an inch wider than the Civic, due to its "Accord-like" front end:
- 6th Gen Civic = 67.1" wide
- 10th Gen Civic = 70.9" wide
- 3rd Gen Insight = 71.6" wide

I allocate 40% garage width to my 6th Gen Civic, and 60% to the Insight. Helps to have double-wide garage door to distribute space this way; otherwise too tight a fit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts