Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Honda Insight and today as I was driving it suddenly I felt no power when accelerating then suddenly the car shut itself off, now everytime I try to turn on the car it says Power System Problem, Do Not Drive and shuts itself off.

I have only found one other thread with this issue is New Car on Friday. Tow truck on Saturday., I also notice that there there was a recall on the 2019 SRS which i dont think would be the issue here with it being a 2020 but you never know.

Has anyone else had this issue? is it covered under warranty? is it a long fix time?

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
I saw a similar post on Facebook today in the Gen3 group. It turned out to be a defective fuel pump covered by the recall.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I have a 2020 Honda Insight and today as I was driving it suddenly I felt no power when accelerating then suddenly the car shut itself off, now everytime I try to turn on the car it says Power System Problem, Do Not Drive and shuts itself off.

I have only found one other thread with this issue is New Car on Friday. Tow truck on Saturday., I also notice that there there was a recall on the 2019 SRS which i dont think would be the issue here with it being a 2020 but you never know.

Has anyone else had this issue? is it covered under warranty? is it a long fix time?
Welcome to the forum... and sorry that it's not under better circumstances.

Have you checked your VIN in the the Honda Owners site and/or NHTSA site, to see if your car is affected by the Fuel Pump Recall?
10 units of 2020 models (built between 8/26/19 and 9/17/19) were affected, and the power loss you described sounds similar to what others have experienced when the fuel pump isn't installed correctly and/or fails. Perhaps your car is one of the 10 identified for recall.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum... and sorry that it's not under better circumstances.

Have you checked your VIN in the the Honda Owners site and/or NHTSA site, to see if your car is affected by the Fuel Pump Recall?
10 units of 2020 models (built between 8/26/19 and 9/17/19) were affected, and the power loss you described sounds similar to what others have experienced when the fuel pump isn't installed correctly and/or fails. Perhaps your car is one of the 10 identified for recall.
Hey I appreciate the links I did check those and there was no recalls for my vin.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Troubleshooting for this definitely covered under the base warranty, assuming you're first owner and still <36k miles driven.

Time to fix will depend on how accurately dealer can identify the issue. In the "New Car on Friday..." thread, the issue turned out to be electronic (SRS computer module) rather than mechanical (fuel pump). I'd estimate at least 1 week for troubleshooting, part order and repair (?).

Aside from the thread above, other instances where the "power system" and/or "do not drive" message has been reported:
Based on the temperature mentions above (and excluding 'too cold' for now since summer), was it particularly hotter-than-normal while you were driving and these incidents occurred? The 3 'power system' error messages below mention electrical issue or HV battery overheating as possible cause:

High temperature can also reduce acceleration and power output, as mentioned by this error message:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am in Vegas and it is 115 today so that may be it but I had it towed to the dealership here to look at it regardless as it should be covered under warranty if it is indeed an issue

however it has been 105-115 for the past month and there was no issue before today, even some days hotter than today

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I am in Vegas and it is 115 today so that may be it but I had it towed to the dealership here to look at it regardless as it should be covered under warranty if it is indeed an issue

however it has been 105-115 for the past month and there was no issue before today, even some days hotter than today
With the HV battery being below the rear seats, it's cabin temperature that counts the most.
  • Did the power issue happen early in your drive?
  • Did you happen to notice the HV battery level (# bars) when the incident occurred?
  • Do you pre-cool your car before driving it (e.g. roll windows down to ventilate).
I assume you weren't driving with the cabin temp set at 115F (or higher, since the car heats up 20+% warmer than outside), but maybe the HV battery didn't have enough time to cool down today versus other days (?). The HV battery eventually get to the same temperature as the cabin, but it would take a while of recirculating to cool it from 115+F.

The manual only defines "too low" temperature (-44 to -20F) and doesn't specify the "too high" temperature. But 59F to 95F is the 'ideal' operating temp for the HV battery per Battery University, because higher battery temps can cause an irreversible chemical reaction and explosion risk.

Hope it's an easy fix for your dealer. Please keep us posted on your findings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh if its the cabin temp then it shouldnt be an issue as I remote start it before I get into it so that the AC can start and with the temp being so hot outside the AC was on full blast pretty much the entire time I was driving

I dropped it off at the dealer via a tow but it was too late today so I will be in contact with them tomorrow morning and update you guys with the issue

HV Battery indicator show not even 1 bar when this happened, I didnt precool the vehicle but I did remote start it for the AC to run, and it happened at the end of doing some grocery shopping so short drive to the store, park (probably 20 mins or so) then back home and it happen right as I pulled into my driveway [un]luckily

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Oh if its the cabin temp then it shouldnt be an issue as I remote start it before I get into it so that the AC can start and with the temp being so hot outside the AC was on full blast pretty much the entire time I was driving
[...]
HV Battery indicator show not even 1 bar when this happened, I didnt precool the vehicle but I did remote start it for the AC to run, and it happened at the end of doing some grocery shopping so short drive to the store, park (probably 20 mins or so) then back home and it happen right as I pulled into my driveway [un]luckily
How long have you owned your 2020? And what is the production date (see MM/YY sticker on driver door jamb)? It sounds a little troubling that the HV battery level was <1 bar... but maybe reflects the short drive you mentioned.

The A/C is electric and the gas engine runs to keep the HV battery charged for this... but it almost sounds like the systems weren't able to keep up. It's a little bit "catch-22" to use A/C remote start on a super hot day (i.e. the HV battery starts at high temp and is being asked to power the A/C.

Maybe remote start plus short drive led to the low power scenario... which would be good news (temporary/reversible) on one hand, but bad news (its always hot in Vegas!) at the same time. Frankly, mechanical issue (like a fuel pump) would be easier to fix once and move on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bought it in Nov 2019 right after Thanksgiving

and I don't know if it does have that sticker or not i'll check when I can get to the car tomorrow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Automakers usually do vehicle testing in extremely cold and hot enviroments like Death Valley. Vehicle Testing - Death Valley National Park (U.S. National Park Service) I find it hard to believe heat is a problem especially if you had the AC on in the cabin. Looking forward to your update @Tom20MSM.
You know, I figured they did some kind of extreme temp test when manufacturing these vehicles, but you never know. Honda just called me saying they received my vehicle and have 2 others with this same issue, one was the fuel pump recall however the other wasn't so they said they are looking into it and will keep me updated, I will keep you guys updated as I get word from them.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
You know, I figured they did some kind of extreme temp test when manufacturing these vehicles, but you never know. Honda just called me saying they received my vehicle and have 2 others with this same issue, one was the fuel pump recall however the other wasn't so they said they are looking into it and will keep me updated, I will keep you guys updated as I get word from them.
Hybrids and associated components are a different beast from conventional engines...

Did dealer disclose whether all 3 vehicles were hybrid (or specifically Insight) models? Or how they pinpointed cause as fuel pump or not (e.g. diagnostic test? VIN look-up on recall list?) ? Both hybrid and non-hybrid models were affected by the recent fuel pump recall.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honda just called me back and said that it is indeed the Fuel Pump like the 2019 recall, they said they contacted Honda of America to order the part and HoA called them back immediately asking why they needed this part for a 2020 and asked them to look over a TON of other stuff on the car (guessing to see if they need to issue another recall)

My car didnt show up on any recall VIN search and even the dealership said it didnt show up any recalls on their system. they ordered the part and it should be here and installed tomorrow so hopefully It will be done by tomorrow.

I will ask them how they pinpointed it was the fuel pump when I pick up the vehicle and asked if they checked anything else, I did mention another user had this issue and it was the SRS and they said they checked that and it wasn't the issue on my vehicle

and yes they did tell me all 3 were Hybrid 2 being an Accord and one being a Insight

·
Registered
6 Posts
Troubleshooting for this definitely covered under the base warranty, assuming you're first owner and still <36k miles driven.

Time to fix will depend on how accurately dealer can identify the issue. In the "New Car on Friday..." thread, the issue turned out to be electronic (SRS computer module) rather than mechanical (fuel pump). I'd estimate at least 1 week for troubleshooting, part order and repair (?).

Aside from the thread above, other instances where the "power system" and/or "do not drive" message has been reported:
Based on the temperature mentions above (and excluding 'too cold' for now since summer), was it particularly hotter-than-normal while you were driving and these incidents occurred? The 3 'power system' error messages below mention electrical issue or HV battery overheating as possible cause:
View attachment 5651
High temperature can also reduce acceleration and power output, as mentioned by this error message:
View attachment 5652
I have a 2020 Insight that I bought in December that has been having the last indicator message here: "Power Reduced. Power System Temperature too high..." and it was 78 degrees outside! The main effect is, you guessed it, deceleration. The repair shop (the local dealer) had never even seen the message before and after consulting Honda national, hooking my car up when the error came one, etc, they have determined "battery pack deterioration" which is confounding, since the car has less than 2,000 miles on it. Has anyone else had this issue? I've checked, and there are no recalls. I'm thus far incredibly un-impressed with my Insight and do not feel safe considering how long it took them to understand what one of their own messages meant.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a 2020 Insight that I bought in December that has been having the last indicator message here: "Power Reduced. Power System Temperature too high..." and it was 78 degrees outside! The main effect is, you guessed it, deceleration. The repair shop (the local dealer) had never even seen the message before and after consulting Honda national, hooking my car up when the error came one, etc, they have determined "battery pack deterioration" which is confounding, since the car has less than 2,000 miles on it. Has anyone else had this issue? I've checked, and there are no recalls. I'm thus far incredibly un-impressed with my Insight and do not feel safe considering how long it took them to understand what one of their own messages meant.
Any idea how they came up with that conclusion? It almost sounds like theyre guessing, with these newer vehicles it does seem some dealerships are ill equipped when it comes to servicing them but luckily the one I went to had technicians who really seem to know what theyre doing or what theyre looking for with these error.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any idea how they came up with that conclusion? It almost sounds like theyre guessing, with these newer vehicles it does seem some dealerships are ill equipped when it comes to servicing them but luckily the one I went to had technicians who really seem to know what theyre doing or what theyre looking for with these error.
Thanks for your response! They said they patched into the "Honda Tech Line" who gave approval to replace the battery pack, saying the codes that came up were for battery pack deterioration and battery pack deterioration of power. They said the national techs said replacing the battery pack should fix it. They have now had my car almost 2.5 weeks...

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
It's more the area of hybrid technology/troubleshooting that is problematic for Honda dealers. At my dealer, my service advisor says it's the newer/younger techs that learn about and lead hybrid repair, while the older/experienced techs work on conventional cars.

Formerly, once a tech achieved Honda Master Technician title they held that title for life regardless of training. This kind of worked in the pre-hybrid world, where engine components were pretty standard. But starting 4/1/18, Honda is only granting Master Technician titles for 5 years at a time, now requiring training on new technologies to be re-certified.

It's a good move on Honda's part, but still means that only the newer techs who received Master Technician status from 2018 forward are 'required' to get newer training to maintain their title. I believe the older Master Technicians (pre-2018 certification) are grandfathered into the lifetime title.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts