Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Greetings im a new member to the site itself. Although I still haven't pulled the trigger on my new insight yet was hoping to get some advice and answers to some of my questions.
Ive viewed mostly if not all YouTube videos on the 2019 insight so im pretty well knowledged on the vehicle itself. I have test driven it at honda dealerships. I have even rented one for a day! Wich was Amazing. All were touring trims in wich im looking to get into hopefully soon.

Now to the questions:

1) Dont know weather to go with a white or black touring (black would be mocha interior) I live in the city so parking is always tight wich will result in dings and dents.

2) Im waiting to get the 2020 model in hopes of getting a digital speedometer. Will that be included in the upcoming year? Also will like honda to work the bugs out of the car. Such as hood rattle, radio issue, etc.

3) The msrp of the touring is lets say round it off $29k im in socal. Why is it that I am seeing the touring trim go for as low as $24,440 in other states?

4) Im waiting for Honda to have an incentive on the insight which is not happening. I have keeped my eye on the honda website like a hawk and only the civics and accords are getting special treatment. I would love a 1.9 apr on my insight loan. The best my credit union is offering is a 3.5 apr for 60 months. What are you guys getting?

I apologize to the admin's if i wrote something out of topic! Please feel free to move my post.

Also will like to congratulate all you 2019 insight owners! Im coming from a Chevy Tahoe so seeing 50 mg on the guage cluster had me screaming like a kid! Thanks all enjoy! God Bless!

·
Super Moderator
4,095 Posts
Welcome. Several of your questions are opinion-oriented. :) I'll offer my thoughts and allow others to weigh in as well:

1) Dont know weather to go with a white or black touring (black would be mocha interior) I live in the city so parking is always tight wich will result in dings and dents.
Will you have easy/frequent access to car washes? I think black will tend to show dust more, even (or especially?) in sunny SoCal. White might be more forgiving, though it sounds counterintuitive. White might also stay cooler in warm weather, though the interior for both cars will likely be black leather in the Touring trim.

2) Im waiting to get the 2020 model in hopes of getting a digital speedometer. Will that be included in the upcoming year? Also will like honda to work the bugs out of the car. Such as hood rattle, radio issue, etc.
While the Japanese Insight already has features many of us covet AND even with all Insights being produced at the same single plant (Greensburg, IN), I'm not optimistic that the 2020 US Insight will undergo many changes. Hopefully I'm wrong, because most of what you listed are 'easy' fixes. But looking at other models like the Civic and Accord, Honda's operating philosophy seems to be to keep things status quo until model refresh ~3 years after introduction. We'll see in another 20-30 days, right? If not much has changed, you could work a deal on the 2019 model.

3) The msrp of the touring is lets say round it off $29k im in socal. Why is it that I am seeing the touring trim go for as low as $24,440 in other states?
I think this is about demand/interest. Hybrids are common on the west coast (which I refer to as tree-hugger states.) Taxes and fees are also higher in some states than others. Focus your efforts on out-the-door pricing for your area and tax rate. Try to get down-to or lower-than invoice price, especially if you end up negotiating on a 2019 vs 2020.

The lowest Touring prices posted here so far are ~27k OTD in OK, VA, TN. But new car sales taxes are also pretty low in those states (OK = 3.25%, VA = 4.15%) and even in TN (tax = 7%), I think the low price is to motivate people who might not otherwise consider hybrids. CA sales tax is 7.5%, so you'll already pay ~$200 more than these lowest prices due to that alone. If you can beat a base price of 27.1k (26.2k invoice + 0.9k destination), you'll be doing well.

4) Im waiting for Honda to have an incentive on the insight which is not happening. I have keeped my eye on the honda website like a hawk and only the civics and accords are getting special treatment. I would love a 1.9 apr on my insight loan. The best my credit union is offering is a 3.5 apr for 60 months. What are you guys getting?
The only incentives I saw offered around this time last year was 1.9% APR on gas models only (Insight & Clarity excluded), or a new-graduate/military $500 discount. 3-3.5% sounds right for credit union auto loan. If you're part of a 'specialized' credit union like health, government, military, you may be able to find a rate below 3%.

Keep us posted on where you end up overall!

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
Hello! Greetings im a new member to the site itself. Although I still haven't pulled the trigger on my new insight yet was hoping to get some advice and answers to some of my questions.
Ive viewed mostly if not all YouTube videos on the 2019 insight so im pretty well knowledged on the vehicle itself. I have test driven it at honda dealerships. I have even rented one for a day! Wich was Amazing. All were touring trims in wich im looking to get into hopefully soon.

Now to the questions:

Get a white car, it will help keep your car cooler, when it's hot. Even with the black interior, I have noticed the interior is cooler, compared to my previous darker color(metallic grey) cars on a hot day.

Honda usually only do minor refreshes every 3 years after a major redesign. The digital speedometer is located within the DII which comes from the new 10th generation Accord. I doubt they will redesign the DII so soon, if they do add the MPH to the digital speedometer, it will most likely come via a software update for us with the 2019 Insight(we have a digital speedometer it just needs to be done for MPH instead of just KPH). As for right now, you can get a MPH digital speedometer with Waze via CarPlay/Android Auto. https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/2506-waze-got-digital-speedometer-added-carplay.html

CA has really high gas prices in general. It makes alternative fuel vehicles more attractive compared to other states that have low gas prices. Low gas price states probably sell more SUVs/Trucks so discounts are bigger for smaller cars and alternative fuel vehicles. My advice is to contact 5-10 dealerships and make them bid for your purchase by comparing quotes via email. Don't settle on just the dealerships local to you or done business with in the past. Do this on a weekday like Monday-Wednesday when business is slow(ideally during the last week of the month & bonus if it's rainy). They will ignore you on weekends when foot traffic is high.

Yeah, I'm not sure why Honda isn't offering any incentives on the Insight or Accord Hybrid. I did see the Clarity get a low APR incentive but that car is selling pretty bad. The Insight actually met Honda's goal of 20k Insights sold for the 1st year 2 months ahead of time so I guess they aren't as desperate to sell more.

I apologize to the admin's if i wrote something out of topic! Please feel free to move my post.

Also will like to congratulate all you 2019 insight owners! Im coming from a Chevy Tahoe so seeing 50 mg on the guage cluster had me screaming like a kid! Thanks all enjoy! God Bless!
Since you have rented the car for a day... I assume you have a good idea of what to expect for your fuel economy numbers. Otherwise I would advise that you're happy with everything else about the car first and don't let fuel economy numbers be the sole reason for getting the car because they can vary a lot from each driver as reported here on the forums especially if you drive on long hills/mountains. https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/266-2019-honda-insight-range-mpge-economy/

·
Super Moderator
4,095 Posts
3) the msrp of the touring is lets say round it off $29k im in socal. Why is it that i am seeing the touring trim go for as low as $24,440 in other states?
ca has really high gas prices in general. It makes alternative fuel vehicles more attractive compared to other states that have low gas prices. Low gas price states probably sell more suvs/trucks so discounts are bigger for smaller cars and alternative fuel vehicles.
Great thinking... very true! The states where forum members reported the lowest 27k OTD price on the Touring trim also have the lowest (OK, TN) or next-lowest (VA) gas pricing. And the west coast 'tree hugger' states (plus CT) have the highest gas prices in the US.

If I were a manufacturer trying to maximize profit, I'd totally use this info to squeeze buyers for the highest sales price on hybrid/electric car pricing. Also interesting is that the southern half of the US generally has higher sales tax rates, so states like CA, NV, AZ get hit on both the car purchase and car refueling ends.

(Pricing info is from web article dated 5/28/19. Tax info is from 2017 tax blog.)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the great comments! Truly appreciate it, im still learning how to get the hang of this site. My intention is to reply to each individual comment but opperating off a smart phone seems to be tricky. I have been browsing around the forum and theres alot of great info, found a post about someone getting into a touring at $24,900 i believe it was from Texas. So the deals are out there. I will be attaching pics of the insight touring i rented out. Black with mocha interior true beuty! Love the mocha with black interior but isn't offered in the white touring.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
I also have a 2013 orchid Pearl White Accord as well as an white orchid pearl 2019 Insight. Every spec of dirt shows up on the Insight for some reason and collects at the rear of the car. I also have yet..... Another metallic white 2019 car (not a Honda) ... And shows up even more than the Insight. I have to use quick detailer and microfiber on that car 2X a week to keep it clean looking.

For my Accord it's not really that noticeable. I think the paint formula changed or something now. There is a slight difference in hue too.

As reference our EX trim was out the door for $25.3k here in SoCal. Came with wheel locks and silly looking door edge ppf film. A coworker go it out the door same trim and color for under 25k.

When we purchased in April Honda had incentives for everything except the Insight. We financed at FPCU for %2.99. I bought another car in June, and by then rates went up to %3.49, so your 3.5% sounds about right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts