Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Only if you have money to burn. Granted it's a different car and battery chemistry, but there are older Priuses out there with close to 200k on the original battery.

· Registered
692 Posts
It’s about 5k total including parts and labor at my local Honda dealership to replace hybrid battery.. I spoke with someone at a shop that works on a lot of hybrids and the longest he’s seen a car go on original battery is 350k..

I’ve been scouring Craigslist and eBay for salvaged gen3 insights.. I’m looking for something that’s freshly salvaged and if I could get the battery for around 1k, then I would change my battery out sooner.. albeit the battery is low mileage.

· Registered
46 Posts
I'm not sure which battery you are meaning, 12V or HV. However I have seen some new unused HV units come up for sale and if I remember correctly they went for $400 shipped. A complete new HV battery unit in origianl Honda packaging. It was early generation Insight owners that bought them up. I wish I would have bought one at the time. I check occasionally just in case another batch shows up.

· Registered
2022 Lunar Silver Insight EX
63 Posts
I'm not sure which battery you are meaning, 12V or HV. However I have seen some new unused HV units come up for sale and if I remember correctly they went for $400 shipped. A complete new HV battery unit in origianl Honda packaging. It was early generation Insight owners that bought them up. I wish I would have bought one at the time. I check occasionally just in case another batch shows up.
Good point, I was assuming @skyjake was talking about the HV battery but maybe he was talking about the 12V.

· Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,851 Posts
The HV battery has an 8-year warranty. Why would you want to change it? Must be referring to the 12v battery. I wouldn't proactively change it unless Honda's multi-point inspection shows an issue.

Reactions: jensight

· Registered
408 Posts
Regardless of which battery he means, replace it only when it fails. Otherwise, it’s wasteful. Might be a good idea at his mileage to buy a spare 12v so you can quickly swap it out if it does fail, or at least carry a small lithium battery jumper to get you where you need to go. My 2017 scooter still has its original AGM battery and if it’s left off of the trickle charger for several weeks, it will either turn over too slowly or not turn over at all so I always carry a jumper in it just in case.

Reactions: jensight

· Registered
692 Posts
what was the website with the battery for sale again? I’m gonna keep an eye on it too.

· Registered
692 Posts
I found this used 2019 hv battery on eBay with 33k , according to seller, who has a good rating , it was removed about 35 days ago. Tested and inspected before and after removal. Comes with 90 day warranty based on professional installation .

I found a shop that specializes in hybrids and will do the install for $500 but I get no warranty on the install since the battery is used, but at least I get the 90 day warranty from seller.

i’m tempted to do this now because I’m at 254K and I can get a good low mileage battery with install for under 2 grand. But I’m also curious to see how long my original battery will go for before dying but I don’t wanna miss out on this opportunity.

· Registered
692 Posts
I went ahead and bought the 33k battery.. I asked the seller to lower price a bit so I could do pay in 4 with PayPal with no interest .. had to be under $1500.. with shipping , I got the battery for $1461, plus install should be at $1961.

thx to OP for creating this thread and making me look for batteries..

· Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,851 Posts
I went ahead and bought the 33k battery.. I asked the seller to lower price a bit so I could do pay in 4 with PayPal with no interest .. had to be under $1500.. with shipping , I got the battery for $1461, plus install should be at $1961.

What are your plans for the old battery? Maybe you can make a few hundred back?

· Registered
692 Posts
What are your plans for the old battery? Maybe you can make a few hundred back?
nothing really.. I don’t think I can really sell a hybrid battery with over 250K miles on it. Come to think of it, I don’t think there is anyone out there with over 250K on their gen 3 hybrid battery. I’m going to store it in garage. i’m going to store it for about six months and if I don’t get any codes from the new battery after six months, then I will dispose of it .

· Registered
408 Posts
nothing really.. I don’t think I can really sell a hybrid battery with over 250K miles on it. Come to think of it, I don’t think there is anyone out there with over 250K on their gen 3 hybrid battery. I’m going to store it in garage. i’m going to store it for about six months and if I don’t get any codes from the new battery after six months, then I will dispose of it .
People are buying worn out Tesla car batteries as a storage bank for their solar home projects. I’d look into selling it for this purpose. The smaller Honda battery would be good for small homes or maybe a backup for a hunting shed or something.

I was really hoping we would get an idea how long these batteries last from your experience but I get wanting to grab a good price. I’m willing to bet the mileage is less of a factor than the age of the pack, meaning your original pack probably has some good mileage left.

· Registered
692 Posts
People are buying worn out Tesla car batteries as a storage bank for their solar home projects. I’d look into selling it for this purpose. The smaller Honda battery would be good for small homes or maybe a backup for a hunting shed or something.

I was really hoping we would get an idea how long these batteries last from your experience but I get wanting to grab a good price. I’m willing to bet the mileage is less of a factor than the age of the pack, meaning your original pack probably has some good mileage left.
I decided to cancel order .. I’m just too curious to see how long my battery will go before throwing warnings.. yeah and your probably right about the age vs mileage of battery..

juat means that when my battery goes out , I’ll have to hope I can get a good used one in time.. looks like there are sellers of these batteries on eBay.

· Registered
2022 Lunar Silver Insight EX
63 Posts

I was a little sad when I saw this comment over the weekend because I was curious to see how many miles you could go on the HV battery.

I decided to cancel order .. I’m just too curious to see how long my battery will go before throwing warnings.. yeah and your probably right about the age vs mileage of battery..

juat means that when my battery goes out , I’ll have to hope I can get a good used one in time.. looks like there are sellers of these batteries on eBay.
I'm glad to see that you also wanted to know how long your battery would last. Have you thought about doing some short YouTube clips about this issue and the car in general?
Thanks for seeing how many miles you can put on your HV battery. This should be an interesting experiment.

Since I only put around 10K a year on my Insight I think my HV battery will be fine for many years.

· Registered
692 Posts
I’m really tempted to get this one now.. it’s from a 22 and it’s been out the car for about 3 months though.. but only 3k.. super young and super low mileage..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts