Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
2022 Lunar Silver Insight EX
63 Posts
I’m really tempted to get this one now.. it’s from a 22 and it’s been out the car for about 3 months though.. but only 3k.. super young and super low mileage..

That's a great price for only 3K on the battery, I would not blame you for pulling the trigger on this. How long will the HV battery last just sitting? Is there a way to charge the HV battery without being in the car?

Have you notice any issues with your current HV battery, Less MPG, battery charges quickly, discharge quickly? I did not see any way of scanning the car to see what the state of battery was.

· Registered
692 Posts
I decided to drive up to northern Cali today to pickup the 2022 3k battery.. put in an offer and got it for $1131 out the door.. I saved on shipping by picking it up..it’s like basically like getting a brand new battery for a quarter of the price..

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

· Registered
692 Posts
Looks like the battery I got is a no go.. shop said they tried resetting everything and doing everything possible but battery wouldn’t work.. well at least I get a 30 day money back guarantee.. my plan now is just to get a new battery when I get the warning to replace battery .. looks like we will find out how long my battery will last after all..

· Registered
692 Posts
The shop came up with another idea to swap parts around to my old battery to see if it would work.. there’s quite a bit of electronics too in addition to the cells ..

This is what an open gen 3 hv battery looks like..

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Automotive exterior Vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

· Registered
692 Posts
The battery replacement process requires the HDS to be connected and the new battery to be programmed into the car.
I’m assuming that’s what they did.. when I was there everything was connected and they had a device out ( assuming that was to program it).,

in the labor invoice , it states “ remove and replace hybrid battery. Customer provided battery had zero communication with IMA system. Unable to start vehicle with multiple codes pertaining to hv battery communication. Tried multiple configurations and deemed hv battery not in good working condition”.

· Registered
112 Posts
I’m assuming that’s what they did..
It is worth checking with them and showing the document. I had a case when they changed the battery in one service in another country and said that the battery was not working. The owner of the car told me about this, in response I sent him a document. They did everything right and were happy)

· Registered
408 Posts
Looks like just a dead battery because they tried swapping out a lot of stuff..
Yea, this is why I vote for not messing with it unless it’s completely bad. In theory, it’s nice to have a backup for a cheaper price but you have no clue what you are buying and than you have the headache of returning it and paying for labor for something that doesn’t work. Loosening all those connections can lead to other problems. I think the saying applies here, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”.

· Registered
692 Posts
The good news is, I haven’t had any issues after the service, and my mpg has returned to normal. I’m going to look at the bright side of this and say I did take a risk, but it was calculated, and if it worked, the payoff could’ve been huge, considering it was a very new battery with only 3K miles, I’m out $400 for the labor, which is significantly less than dealers price, but I’m taking another trip up to Northern California this week and will take a five day vacation in San Francisco while doing Uber since I’m up there. I haven’t been up there in over 10 years and I haven’t taken a vacation in a while so this will be nice.

I know the reputation of the shop that I took it to so I’m just assuming they returned everything to close as OEM possible when they put my old battery back together. The good thing is usually with electronics, if there’s something that was done incorrectly, it’ll show up immediately and everything has been good so far.

at this point, I’m just hoping my original battery will go to 500,000 miles or even beyond and when I replace it with a new battery I can take my car up to 1,000,000 miles.

· Registered
533 Posts
I’m assuming that’s what they did.. when I was there everything was connected and they had a device out ( assuming that was to program it).,

in the labor invoice , it states “ remove and replace hybrid battery. Customer provided battery had zero communication with IMA system. Unable to start vehicle with multiple codes pertaining to hv battery communication. Tried multiple configurations and deemed hv battery not in good working condition”.
That scares me right off the bat.. Our car does not have the IMA system.. That is the older system that early Honda hybrids used.. Now I'm curious if they knew what they were doing.. Not saying your judgement for who you took it to was bad, but IMA IS the older Integrated Motor Assist hybrid system.. Our hybrid system is called the i-MMD (Intelligent Multi-Mode Drive) two motor hybrid system.

· Registered
692 Posts
That scares me right off the bat.. Our car does not have the IMA system.. That is the older system that early Honda hybrids used.. Now I'm curious if they knew what they were doing.. Not saying your judgement for who you took it to was bad, but IMA IS the older Integrated Motor Assist hybrid system.. Our hybrid system is called the i-MMD (Intelligent Multi-Mode Drive) two motor hybrid system.
really good info Mobilcams..I may have to call dealer tomorrow and have a talk.. I may have a good battery after all.

it really did make me wonder how such a young low mileage battery could be dead.. after all it was tested before removal and was OK.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I was actually referring to the 12v. I learned a lot of interesting points and ideas about both batteries and appreciate everyones input. Before I couldn‘t imagine replacing hv early with a used one but with this vehicle being discontinued, maybe something to consider vs a brand new OEM? However, this is not on my radar and I drive my car almost everyday.

My local Honda Dealership was ~$280 on 12v replacement. A jumper battery might not be a bad idea.

· Registered
2021 Honda Insight EX - Platinum White Pearl
85 Posts
I was actually referring to the 12v. I learned a lot of interesting points and ideas about both batteries and appreciate everyones input. Before I couldn‘t imagine replacing hv early with a used one but with this vehicle being discontinued, maybe something to consider vs a brand new OEM? However, this is not on my radar and I drive my car almost everyday.

My local Honda Dealership was ~$280 on 12v replacement. A jumper battery might not be a bad idea.
Replacing any automotive parts before they fail (unless specifically recommended by the manufacturer) is almost always a waste of money. Carrying a jumper battery is a great idea and has gotten me out of a jam when my 12V battery failed just one year after I bought my Insight, but that also goes to show that a newer battery is no guarantee against early failure. Also, regarding your concerns about the vehicle being discontinued, auto manufacturers typically have parts available long after models are discontinued.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts