Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cargo hooks. Very nice.

But let me tell you, trying to get those rivnuts to actually function with a homemade tool was NOT a fun process. When I finally go the darned thing to start "riveting" down, the lip of the rivnut had bent up a touch and caused it to clamp just outside the hole. There was no way to push it tight enough against that flimsy metal piece to get it to crimp on.

After about 20min of that, I threw away the rivnuts with some choice 4 letter words, then just put them on with the "extra" washer and nut that were in the package. Putting on both took all of 5 minutes and they seem secure enough.

Matthew

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Congrats on the successful install. Did you use the hooks often in prior car, and how do these hooks compare? I thought I read that Honda's version seems too high-mounted (?).

Semi-related, @Misterb posted tips for cargo net installation, which also includes the 'fun' rivnut tool tip from hook install. Was this the type of homemade tool you attempted?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the delay. Missed this one.

I have never had the hooks anywhere before. Just thought they were a nifty idea. They are HEAVY plastic, and seem sturdy enough. When hanging a mostly full plastic grocery bag from the hook it is about 4-5" off the floor of the trunk.

Overall I really like them.

Regarding the tool, that is the exact one I made. It just didn't work for me. Partly because I didn't understand exactly where the thing was going to crush.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just installed them a few days ago and I also had to throw away the first rivnut. I recommend you to remove the thread in the nut (not the rivet) if you are going to do it with home tools, this way I was able to install both hooks within 10 minutes and another 20 to install the cargo net which uses rivnuts as well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
I just installed them a few days ago and I also had to throw away the first rivnut. I recommend you to remove the thread in the nut (not the rivet) if you are going to do it with home tools, this way I was able to install both hooks within 10 minutes and another 20 to install the cargo net which uses rivnuts as well.
Helpful tip! It looks like you have the metal bumper protector as well. Looks pretty sharp against the white exterior!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts