Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I went to test drive a 2022 Insight EX today, and overall I liked it. But I have a few questions for the people who already own a Gen 3.

It was raining today, which I thought was lucky, since I could see how it handled in bad weather. The car did quite well, steering/grip-wise. But one thing I noticed right away was that both front windows kept fogging up, blocking my view of the side mirrors. I would roll the windows down briefly to squeegee them clean, which worked quite well (this technique never worked on my 2010 Prius; the fog would still be there when I rolled them up). But then literally a minute or less later, the fog would reappear. This happened over and over, regardless of the fan/AC settings. (In my Prius, turning on the windshield defroster would eventually help clear up that part of the windows a bit too.) It was really annoying while driving on the highway and trying to switch lanes. I tried to recreate this problem in the Subaru Outback that I drove to the dealership in, but those windows never got the least bit cloudy. Has anybody else had this problem with their Insight? EDIT: I might just be an idiot w.r.t. this fog issue lol. Maybe I just failed to match the outside temperature properly.

2nd issue: when I got back to the dealership, I turned the car off and back on again to see how it started up, and I was surprised by 4 error messages appearing on the infotainment screen, two about the brakes and two about the tire pressure (see attached photos). I can see how the tire pressure could be low, but it also said there was something wrong with the tire pressure monitoring system. Is this normal? I don't understand how something could be wrong with the brakes already on a brand new car with 35 total mileage. Has anybody else gotten these errors? I told the salesman about them, and he said I must have turned on the car wrong by not holding down the brake first. I've driven Priuses for 10+ years...I think I know how to turn on a push-start hybrid by now ffs.

From reading these forums, I know that some people have had problems with the gen 3 Insight's finicky electronics system throwing up error codes fairly regularly. This incident reminded me of that. Even if these error messages are explainable, it still wasn't a good introduction to the car's reliability or lack thereof. I told the salesman I needed to test drive the Elantra hybrid before making a decision (which is true), but I doubt I would have bought that specific car then and there even if I had decided on it already.

I like the Insight, but I'm pretty concerned about its reliability and especially longevity. I drive 25k+ miles/year for work, and I need my car to last 250k+ miles. I know it has only been out for a few years, but what do the high mileagers say about the car's reliability?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,751 Posts
I've never had an issue with windows fogging and the defrost not handling it. Our family owns 2 Insights.

With respect to the brake issues, it may all be pressure-related. Generally, if there is a 12v battery issue, a bunch of unrelated errors will come up. What you see appears to be only brake-related. The salesman is an idiot. If you didn't press the brake when starting, the car would tell you. It would never just throw up errors.

I wouldn't let either of these stop you from purchasing an Insight. I would bet the car you test drove was sitting for a while with no one making sure it was healthy prior to your test drive.

I've got about 40K miles of Insight miles driven and have had no significant issues. Most of our other members have the same experience.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Good information from hasarad.

I'll add that ours has been a joy to own over two and a half years, 17k miles. I was a little concerned about buying it when it was a new model year. For maintenance, we've only had two oil changes and two tire rotations done so far.

I changed the cabin filter last weekend. I would have done it sooner, but the dealership said it would show a message when it was needed. No message had appeared since new, but the filter was filthy. I'll be changing it annually from now on.

There were two recalls for a computer update and fuel pump replacement. Both were handled well the same day by our dealership.

If the battery was low from sitting on the lot, that could explain some of the error messages. As hasarad mentioned, this car is finicky about having the correct voltage.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The low voltage battery charges from the high voltage battery. Having just driven it, that should not be a problem unless the low voltage battery is bad.
Starting it without your foot on the brake is also not a problem. That is how you get to accessory mode.
Never had an issue with fogging but you do need to use the defog button.
The 2019 does not monitor tire pressure but it monitors relative rotational speed of the four tires and complains if the do not match. As others said, weird errors show up when the low voltage battery goes bad.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. To be clear, the windshield was perfectly clean; only the side windows were fogging up, blocking the side-view mirrors fully. I did use the defog button, but maybe I needed to blast it harder or increase the temperature more. Does the defogger usually stop the side windows from fogging up?

From what I've read on these forums, it seems like several people have had problems with the TPMS. How close do the tire pressures of each wheel have to be to each other for the TPMS to not set off a warning? I know that inflating the front tires to around 45 PSI and the back tires to around 35 PSI helps maximize fuel efficiency (at least on the Prius). Can I not do that on the Insight?

Possibly relevant to the brake and tire issue: I did go over a pretty deep pothole a couple minutes before getting back to the dealership. But I was only going like 2 MPH in traffic. I wonder if that caused a problem. If so, that's pretty bad, since Boston is rife with potholes and most times I can't avoid them safely.

·
Super Moderator
1,751 Posts
EX Michelins have a 44psi cold max pressure. I run at 40 on all corners and have for 40K miles. No issues with tire wear. I woudn't do it if roads were not good though. Potholes and high pressures do not play well.

Reactions: GradeA

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,165 Posts
The side windows were probably dirty as in a white film on it from the plastic outgassing. Should clear up with some glass cleaner. I clean the glass once a month and no fogging problems.

It's possible the 12v battery is low from only short test drives which could cause errors to show up. 2022 model year Insights shouldn't be sitting on the lot long enough for the battery to be low. Check the driver's side door jamb for the vehicle manufacture date. I would ask for a 12v battery test result if you were to buy that particular Insight.

This upcoming December would be 3 years of owning my Insight in Boston. I drove through many potholes and no brake errors or TPMS issue(except that one time I overfilled my tire too much). I've my tire pressure 2psi above the factory specs right now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It sounds like you want us to tell you not to get it. Ive had my insight for 2 weeks and have put on 1500 miles so far and absolutely love it. I do about 25k a year as well. Remember people that don't have problems aren't going to post as much so forums are usually unevenly balanced with the issues. Honda is selling a little over 2200 of the insights a month, so there's 75000 of these 3rs gens floating around roughly. 22 being the third year for this generation most bugs have been worked out.
I don't think you'll regret it and with as many miles as you drive it wouldn't hurt to get an extended warranty if you wanted peace of mind. I got a 6yr 150k bumper to.bumper with no deductible with my dealer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The side windows were probably dirty as in a white film on it from the plastic outgassing. Should clear up with some glass cleaner. I clean the glass once a month and no fogging problems.

It's possible the 12v battery is low from only short test drives which could cause errors to show up. 2022 model year Insights shouldn't be sitting on the lot long enough for the battery to be low. Check the driver's side door jamb for the vehicle manufacture date. I would ask for a 12v battery test result if you were to buy that particular Insight.

This upcoming December would be 3 years of owning my Insight in Boston. I drove through many potholes and no brake errors or TPMS issue(except that one time I overfilled my tire too much). I've my tire pressure 2psi above the factory specs right now.
Thanks. This is reassuring. The fogging issue was too ridiculous to be how the car usually operates. It would render it nearly undriveable, and a lot of people would be talking about it. As for the battery test, I'm not planning to buy that particular Insight, because it has a white cloth interior, which I'd never be able to maintain. It was just the only Insight that the Honda inventory locator found (it doesn't let you change distance from zip code criterion, as far as I can tell, so it only searches super locally...must not have been updated since the shortage started). Also great to hear you haven't had TPMS or brake issues from the terrible Boston roads.

It sounds like you want us to tell you not to get it. Ive had my insight for 2 weeks and have put on 1500 miles so far and absolutely love it. I do about 25k a year as well. Remember people that don't have problems aren't going to post as much so forums are usually unevenly balanced with the issues. Honda is selling a little over 2200 of the insights a month, so there's 75000 of these 3rs gens floating around roughly. 22 being the third year for this generation most bugs have been worked out.
I don't think you'll regret it and with as many miles as you drive it wouldn't hurt to get an extended warranty if you wanted peace of mind. I got a 6yr 150k bumper to.bumper with no deductible with my dealer.
I want people to reassure me that they have had many trouble free miles and multiple years with the 3rd gen Insight. I understand the selection bias of forum posts being more skewed towards problems than praise. I'm just an anxious person in general, especially about major purchases like a new car. I appreciate the feedback so far.

Where did you get the 2200/month figure? I read an article from February 2020 about why nobody is buying the Insight, which said "The Honda Insight only sold 4,902 in the fourth quarter of last year. Not only is that down almost 2,000 units from the same time in 2018, but it also pales in comparison to the other Honda models, routinely favorited by consumers in the U.S." And that was before the pandemic shortages, so I can't imagine the sales have gone up since. I don't think the low sales numbers are the car's fault; it should definitely be a lot more popular. But as other people on the forum have mentioned, the Insight is at risk of being discontinued again within a couple years, based on low sales and lack of advertising, as Honda brings back the Civic Hybrid. I wonder how that will affect the availability of parts (both OEM and third party) in the long term.

The 2022 Insight is still at the top of my shortlist for car choices. The other 2 options are the Elantra Hybrid and Camry Hybrid. I test drove the Elantra yesterday (the top trim because the base trim is at least 160 miles away), and although I liked how it drives and looks, the lack of a rear quarter window creates a massive blind spot. It's an insanely stupid design choice that might be a dealbreaker for me. Also the sales manager said they aren't getting a single new hybrid in till at least the end of the year, and I saw horror stories of people's Elantra Hybrids breaking down and customers having to wait months for replacement parts. It's the first model year for it, too, during the shortage, so there's less reliability data along with the very little supply of cars or parts. I'm going to test drive the Camry and then the other two again before making my decision.

·
Super Moderator
1,751 Posts
The Camry is larger than the Insight. The Corolla hybrid would be a better apples-to-apples comparison. Unfortunately, the Corolla only come in one trim level.

As for the white (ivory) seats, my first Gen3 Insight (2019 EX model) was white with an ivory cloth interior. My son has that car now at college. The seats always cleaned up very well. Even a bloody soccer head injury (back seat had blood everywhere from the trip to the hospital) was easily cleaned up. The interior looks like new after three years. I'm finding the black seats on my 2021 Insight show everything! I would buy the ivory interior again if I had the choice to do it over. That said, I still love my 2021 EX!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know the Camry is a midsize, but I already already excluded the Corolla Hybrid because it is underpowered at only 121 hp, even though I do like how it looks (the front end, not the back, which looks pretty terrible imo). I definitely liked how powerful the Insight was, and I really got to test it because the salesman let me drive solo. The Camry Hybrid is ostensibly more tested/reliable than the Insight, and has no chance of being discontinued. I don't really like how it looks that much, but it's not too bad at least. It is more expensive and I'd rather buy a compact, plus it doesn't have any blind spot monitoring, and looks to have a pretty large rear frame blindspot from the pictures. I should still at least test drive it.

I'm surprised to hear how well the ivory cloth seats clean up! How did you do it? A carpet shampooer? When you say that the black cloth shows everything, do you mean initially, or after cleaning? My Prius had leather seats, which I was very happy to have when my drunk friend threw up on them lol. I've never had to clean cloth seats, so I just assumed white would be a nightmare.

·
Super Moderator
1,751 Posts
I'm surprised to hear how well the ivory cloth seats clean up! How did you do it? A carpet shampooer? When you say that the black cloth shows everything, do you mean initially, or after cleaning? My Prius had leather seats, which I was very happy to have when my drunk friend threw up on them lol. I've never had to clean cloth seats, so I just assumed white would be a nightmare.
The blood came out with peroxide and little/no real effort. I used the hand-held attachment from my Bissel ProHeat carpet shampooer once a year to keep things tidy. The ivory really does not hold dirt, nor does it show anything. The black interior shows every little thing - and I have a Shetland Sheepdog! The dog does not travel in the car, but her hair is on everything! A sticky lint roller does the job. I have no doubt the black seats will clean up as easily as the ivory did if they ever get dirty. Regular cleaning is key to any car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We've only got about 25k miles on our 2019. We've had zero issues, except for two flat tires. Luckily I had purchased a compact spare package from Ebay before the flats. Love the car, still looks and drives like brand new. My only complaint of any real concern is that the seats are not very comfortable. No lumbar support, not much padding, and the passenger seat is too low and un-adjustable up/down (even with the Touring). It can get uncomfortable after a couple of hours. We use pillows for the lumbar, that helps. BTW I'm 5'10" and 148 lbs so I'm not straining the seats. We get 50MPG regularly driving it without trying for good mileage - just driving like a normal ICE car.

·
Registered
2021 Insight EX
90 Posts
My only complaint of any real concern is that the seats are not very comfortable. No lumbar support, not much padding, and the passenger seat is too low and un-adjustable up/down (even with the Touring). It can get uncomfortable after a couple of hours. We use pillows for the lumbar, that helps. BTW I'm 5'10" and 148 lbs so I'm not straining the seats.
I have had a bad lower back for years. I no longer care about seat comfort; I just assume it will be awful. I've used this inflatable pillow for at least a decade (Small Inflatable Lumbar Cushion Blue). It makes every car seat work for me. I have two in the house as well, but those don't work as well as the one in the car, mostly because of the chairs I use them on.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have over 76,000 miles on my 2019 EX now with no problems that weren't the dealerships fault lol. It's been a great car - overall average mpg's 47.8mpg throughout it's life.. It was 48.7 before my last trip to North Carolina (lots of rain and car was fully loaded with 4 people and a VERY full trunk)..

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks. This is reassuring. The fogging issue was too ridiculous to be how the car usually operates. It would render it nearly undriveable, and a lot of people would be talking about it. As for the battery test, I'm not planning to buy that particular Insight, because it has a white cloth interior, which I'd never be able to maintain. It was just the only Insight that the Honda inventory locator found (it doesn't let you change distance from zip code criterion, as far as I can tell, so it only searches super locally...must not have been updated since the shortage started). Also great to hear you haven't had TPMS or brake issues from the terrible Boston roads.

I want people to reassure me that they have had many trouble free miles and multiple years with the 3rd gen Insight. I understand the selection bias of forum posts being more skewed towards problems than praise. I'm just an anxious person in general, especially about major purchases like a new car. I appreciate the feedback so far.

Where did you get the 2200/month figure? I read an article from February 2020 about why nobody is buying the Insight, which said "The Honda Insight only sold 4,902 in the fourth quarter of last year. Not only is that down almost 2,000 units from the same time in 2018, but it also pales in comparison to the other Honda models, routinely favorited by consumers in the U.S." And that was before the pandemic shortages, so I can't imagine the sales have gone up since. I don't think the low sales numbers are the car's fault; it should definitely be a lot more popular. But as other people on the forum have mentioned, the Insight is at risk of being discontinued again within a couple years, based on low sales and lack of advertising, as Honda brings back the Civic Hybrid. I wonder how that will affect the availability of parts (both OEM and third party) in the long term.

The 2022 Insight is still at the top of my shortlist for car choices. The other 2 options are the Elantra Hybrid and Camry Hybrid. I test drove the Elantra yesterday (the top trim because the base trim is at least 160 miles away), and although I liked how it drives and looks, the lack of a rear quarter window creates a massive blind spot. It's an insanely stupid design choice that might be a dealbreaker for me. Also the sales manager said they aren't getting a single new hybrid in till at least the end of the year, and I saw horror stories of people's Elantra Hybrids breaking down and customers having to wait months for replacement parts. It's the first model year for it, too, during the shortage, so there's less reliability data along with the very little supply of cars or parts. I'm going to test drive the Camry and then the other two again before making my decision.
I wouldn’t rule out the Elantra for a lack of a rear quarter window. From the driver’s seat, I don’t know of any car where you can look through that window and see anything. The Insight’s is so small and surrounded by thick plastic that it’s existence is pointless. If you adjust your side view mirrors properly (far enough outward so that you don’t see the side of your own car), you will not have any blind spots. Besides, blind spot monitoring kind of negates the blind spot issue.

As for reliability, my 19 EX has been the best new car I’ve ever owned. 0 problems fixed under warranty and only a computer update for a recall. 52k so far. It’s also the cheapest car to maintain that I’ve ever owned. Fuel economy always averages between 55-60mpg (I drive mostly at suburban speeds 40-60mph). Highway fuel economy will be lower than your Prius because of the different hybrid design so if highway fuel economy is more important, the Elantra may be a better choice. If my car was totaled today, I absolutely would buy it again, but probably in Touring trim as I really want a sunroof and wouldn’t mind leather.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wouldn’t rule out the Elantra for a lack of a rear quarter window. From the driver’s seat, I don’t know of any car where you can look through that window and see anything. The Insight’s is so small and surrounded by thick plastic that it’s existence is pointless. If you adjust your side view mirrors properly (far enough outward so that you don’t see the side of your own car), you will not have any blind spots. Besides, blind spot monitoring kind of negates the blind spot issue.
When I test drove the Insight, I thought that the visibility was pretty good, and that the rear quarter window helped. I just realized that I've been adjusting my side mirrors wrong for my whole driving life. I usually set them so I can barely see my car while in my normal driving position. Apparently I'm supposed to lean to the left and then set the left mirror to barely see my car, and then lean to the right while setting the right mirror, so that I don't see my car while in the normal position. Thanks for the tip. That's definitely going to take some getting used to. I am going to test drive the Insight and the Elantra again with the proper mirror placement to see how that feels.

Since my Prius was old and rickety, I had been getting only 40 MPG or so for more than a year anyway, so any new hybrid sedan would be an improvement there. Your 55-60 mpg average is impressive! I tend to drive 70-80 mph on the highway when it's clear, so I doubt I'll reach those numbers. I probably would be better off fuel efficiency-wise in the Elantra, but I do have some problems with it.

I'm a bit concerned about the reliability of the Elantra's Dual Clutch Transmission, and the difficulty in sourcing replacement parts if it fails, because of the supply shortage. I already mentioned the lack of quarter windows, but the mirror adjustment could solve that. I heard the speakers are crap in the base trim, which I'd be getting (because it's $4500 cheaper than the Limited trim and gets better mpg). And the base trim doesn't have 60/40 folding rear seats or a rear cup holder armrest. The base trim also has halogen rather than LED headlights, and the front turn signals are recessed into the grill, more towards the center of the car. I'm worried that the turn signals wouldn't be visible from the side. Also the base trim is very hard to find (I might have to drive 175 miles away). The main advantages of the Elantra are its slick looks (IMO...I'm sure its styling is quite polarizing), great highway fuel efficiency, heated front seats, wireless Android Auto, independent rear suspension, and 5 year/60k mile warranty (vs. Honda's 3 year/36k mile).

I had an appointment to test drive another Insight today, but when I got there they told me the corporate manager was driving it. Oof. I gotta figure this out soon, since my mom is getting annoyed by me borrowing her car so much, and I live 12 miles away from her through city traffic, so it's not convenient for anyone.

·
Registered
2021 Insight EX
90 Posts
Since my Prius was old and rickety, I had been getting only 40 MPG or so for more than a year anyway, so any new hybrid sedan would be an improvement there. Your 55-60 mpg average is impressive! I tend to drive 70-80 mph on the highway when it's clear, so I doubt I'll reach those numbers.
I've only been on one highway trip so far with my Insight. I drove some 30 miles to Ann Arbor from Detroit averaging between 70 and 75 mph. The car stayed at around 48 mpg while on the highway, but topped 50 when I hit city streets for the two mile segment from the xway to my brother's place. If one is reasonably careful, 50 should not be difficult, at least this time of year.

·
Registered
2019 EX White Pearl Orchid
86 Posts
"both front windows kept fogging up, " Was the recirculate button on? In those scenarios you would want the recirculate button off. This morning was a heavy dew / foggy morning.. front wipe of the window, turn defrost on and defrost for back window and they cleared right up.

Over 85,000 in 2 years on my 2019 EX.. no issues except for critters running out in front of me !!

Not sure on your locale? In Wisconsin here and run dedicated winter tires in the season.

Most of my driving is between 64 - 78 and average in the summer about 48 mpg.

·
Registered
344 Posts
When I test drove the Insight, I thought that the visibility was pretty good, and that the rear quarter window helped. I just realized that I've been adjusting my side mirrors wrong for my whole driving life. I usually set them so I can barely see my car while in my normal driving position. Apparently I'm supposed to lean to the left and then set the left mirror to barely see my car, and then lean to the right while setting the right mirror, so that I don't see my car while in the normal position. Thanks for the tip. That's definitely going to take some getting used to. I am going to test drive the Insight and the Elantra again with the proper mirror placement to see how that feels.

Since my Prius was old and rickety, I had been getting only 40 MPG or so for more than a year anyway, so any new hybrid sedan would be an improvement there. Your 55-60 mpg average is impressive! I tend to drive 70-80 mph on the highway when it's clear, so I doubt I'll reach those numbers. I probably would be better off fuel efficiency-wise in the Elantra, but I do have some problems with it.

I'm a bit concerned about the reliability of the Elantra's Dual Clutch Transmission, and the difficulty in sourcing replacement parts if it fails, because of the supply shortage. I already mentioned the lack of quarter windows, but the mirror adjustment could solve that. I heard the speakers are crap in the base trim, which I'd be getting (because it's $4500 cheaper than the Limited trim and gets better mpg). And the base trim doesn't have 60/40 folding rear seats or a rear cup holder armrest. The base trim also has halogen rather than LED headlights, and the front turn signals are recessed into the grill, more towards the center of the car. I'm worried that the turn signals wouldn't be visible from the side. Also the base trim is very hard to find (I might have to drive 175 miles away). The main advantages of the Elantra are its slick looks (IMO...I'm sure its styling is quite polarizing), great highway fuel efficiency, heated front seats, wireless Android Auto, independent rear suspension, and 5 year/60k mile warranty (vs. Honda's 3 year/36k mile).

I had an appointment to test drive another Insight today, but when I got there they told me the corporate manager was driving it. Oof. I gotta figure this out soon, since my mom is getting annoyed by me borrowing her car so much, and I live 12 miles away from her through city traffic, so it's not convenient for anyone.
Glad my tip helped! It’s why I mentioned it because a lot of people adjust their mirrors wrong. Once I learned it, I no longer have to look to the side anymore. No more cars hiding beside me.

I totally get your skepticism on the dual clutch automatic. I actually owned a 2015 Sonata Eco with the 7 speed dual clutch and ended up trading the car after being dissatisfied with its irregular shift quality around town. If you do a lot of stop and go, a dual clutch is not a good choice as it can feel jerky at times, especially if you lift off the gas and immediately reapply it. However, keep in mind I do delivery work with my car, so my drive is different than most who just travel from one place to another. The vast majority of people, especially those who drive on the highway mostly, would find the dual clutch to work smoothly. Also, Hyundai has improved it quite a bit since 2015. Are you sure the Elantra uses the dual clutch? I thought the Sonata Hybrid did but discovered it’s just their regular 6 speed automatic, which is an excellent transmission. Personally, if I went with the Elantra, I’d go for the Limited model as the tech is impressive, especially the blind spot cameras on both sides and LED headlights. Maybe look at the base Sonata Hybrid too. I’ve ridden in a 2021 Limited and it’s a sweet ride. Very smooth and quiet and quite peppy when you floor it. By the way, the Insight does have an independent rear suspension.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.