Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Insight EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks - title says it all. ACC, CMBS and RDM suddenly stopped working yesterday while driving - the "see dealer" warnings popped up mid-drive. I've tried cleaning the camera and brushing the radar sensor off, but no luck.

It looks like the trim ring around the radar sensor is loose; I'm not sure whether this is by design, but I feel like it might be a factor. We've had a heck of a lot of snow over the past few days, and the car is parked outside overnight - is it possible that the cold/the snow/the salt broke something? Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had something similar last winter where the clips holding the radar sensor in place loosened and at least one of them fell off. The dealer was able to put things right and I have had no problems since then other than slush build up on the sensor whenever the sky is overcast :) Those clips are pretty flimsy so I can see a gentle tap on your front bumper by another car parking a bit close as a possible cause.

·
Registered
2019 Insight EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had something similar last winter where the clips holding the radar sensor in place loosened and at least one of them fell off. The dealer was able to put things right and I have had no problems since then other than slush build up on the sensor whenever the sky is overcast :) Those clips are pretty flimsy so I can see a gentle tap on your front bumper by another car parking a bit close as a possible cause.
Thank you! Should the sensor be loose/wiggly at all? (it is, and I'm worried that it shouldn't be.)

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Hi folks - title says it all. ACC, CMBS and RDM suddenly stopped working yesterday while driving - the "see dealer" warnings popped up mid-drive. I've tried cleaning the camera and brushing the radar sensor off, but no luck.
Welcome to the forum. Interesting that of the listed systems alerting, only ACC and CMBS rely on both radar and camera; RDM only relies on the camera. Here's a quick link to the "radar clip" issue @yecam mentioned: Front Bumper millimeter radar missing clips

There have been mentions (in non-snowy weather) of Electronics go Haywire. with multiple system error messages. Software update (preceding the BCM/PCU recall) helped resolve what seemed to be a BCM issue for @Wifey'sInsight. Is your 2019 EX affected by the BCM Recall?

·
Registered
68 Posts
The sensor should be solidly in place. If it is loose then it will not be logically tied to the window mounted camera and the car dashboard display will light up as if it is Christmas time.

·
Registered
2019 Insight EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum. Interesting that of the listed systems alerting, only ACC and CMBS rely on both radar and camera; RDM only relies on the camera. Here's a quick link to the "radar clip" issue @yecam mentioned: Front Bumper millimeter radar missing clips

There have been mentions (in non-snowy weather) of Electronics go Haywire. with multiple system error messages. Software update (preceding the BCM/PCU recall) helped resolve what seemed to be a BCM issue for @Wifey'sInsight. Is your 2019 EX affected by the BCM Recall?

Thanks Insightfully! I just checked, and my car's affected by the recall (Honda X95 2018-20). I'm on the phone with a dealer to have it serviced.

·
Registered
2019 Insight EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealer just got back to me. Bizarre report:

Completed the maintenance items as requested as well as the recall. For warning light it had DTC P2583-76 & P2583-97 for the radar. Tech found cow manure in radar unit and noted lens fasteners missing due to factory error. Replaced lens and cleared codes at no charge. If codes return the radar will need to be replaced.
I suppose I must've driven through a cow patty somewhere, and it... Leaked? Gross. Anyway, it's fixed, yay.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I suppose I must've driven through a cow patty somewhere, and it... Leaked? Gross. Anyway, it's fixed, yay.
Wow, if I were the dealer, I think I would've charged for the clean-up alone, LOL. Did dealer also implement the BCM software update on same visit?

A quick look up of the descriptions for the DTC codes are as follows:
  • P2583-76 = Temporary stop of Integrated Driver Support System
  • P2583-97 = Dust or dirt on the millimeter wave radar
Also found a Honda "Service News" article (listed as "Manufacturer Communication" on NHTSA site) that includes the 2019 Insight front radar and DTC P2583-76 not clearing. Paralleling @yecam's mention, any movement/play in the radar mounting should be corrected. Checking the mounting bracket and replacing the clips is the first stage of the 'fix' - then replacing the radar unit if code still won't clear. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10144375-9999.pdf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts