Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else see what is wrong with this picture? First snow of the year, I get this message and can't figure out why cruise control just beeps when I try to set speed. But the ACC light is still on??? Regular cruise still works of course.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
Anyone else see what is wrong with this picture? First snow of the year, I get this message and can't figure out why cruise control just beeps when I try to set speed. But the ACC light is still on??? Regular cruise still works of course.
Adaptive Cruise Control requires the radar to be able to see the car in front of you so it can adjust travel speed accordingly. @RcLab1 is probably right and you have snow blocking the radar at the bottom of the grille.

·
Super Moderator
2,326 Posts
Yeah I get it, but why is the light still on?
Most likely Honda didn't pay enough attention to detail that the ACC light should go off in Cruise Control mode. Similar to how the READY light remains on even once you start driving.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Oops, someone screwed up, lmao.

·
Super Moderator
3,305 Posts
Yeah I get it, but why is the light still on?
It looks like you're in "regular cruise" mode, which turns on/off when the 'interval' button is held down. The ACC and LKAS lights stay on as a prerequisite for setting even "regular cruise" mode (i.e. main button is on/pressed) - see attached.

@ronnie shared experience with radar being blocked by snow/ice, where ACC didn't work but "regular cruise" did, activated by holdind down the interval button until it beeps.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
This has happened to me several times since I've had my 2019 EX (bought in late June 2018). It always related to snow on the front of the car. I think on the front botton under the hood area where I believe cameras or sensors exist.

·
Registered
836 Posts
This has happened to me several times since I've had my 2019 EX (bought in late June 2018). It always related to snow on the front of the car. I think on the front botton under the hood area where I believe cameras or sensors exist.
If you have a license plate frame, while looking at that, it's to the right in the lower black section of grill, looks like a black box. (Driver's side). Off of the top of my head it is 2.5" tall x 3.5" wide.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i understand why ACC wont work when the sensor is covered. i was annoyed with myself about how long it took me to to come that conclusion because Honda hadn't made a connection between the obstruction warning and the ACC indicator which should be off in this scenario. i might have understood sooner. likewise when the windshield mounted camera is covered, they could kill the LKAS indicator.

yep its going to be another fun winter. the radar obstruction warning stays up pretty much permanently as soon as we start getting regular snowfall. ahhh but dismiss it you say. well 5 minutes later...

we can haz software update plz

·
Super Moderator
3,305 Posts
The lower right is where the radar is, and the upper mid-windshield is where the camera is. Since the radar is externally mounted, it's more prone to snow/ice buildup in wintry conditions. Sample picture of iced-over radar shared by @Honda2019 is below.

·
Super Moderator
3,305 Posts
yeah i understand why ACC wont work when the sensor is covered. i was annoyed with myself about how long it took me to to come that conclusion because Honda hadn't made a connection between the obstruction warning and the ACC indicator which should be off in this scenario. i might have understood sooner. likewise when the windshield mounted camera is covered, they could kill the LKAS indicator.

yep its going to be another fun winter. the radar obstruction warning stays up pretty much permanently as soon as we start getting regular snowfall. ahhh but dismiss it you say. well 5 minutes later...

Since the car is so 'electrical' - maybe an idea is a mini 'radar heater block' rigged to keep the plastic cover warm enough to melt ice accumulation (?). Having the alert come on in 5 minutes of wintry driving is... awful.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Heating that area with soo much cold air flow, would most likely result in it actually freezing completely over. It's too bad a hydrophobic coating doesn't seem to work well against snow.

·
Super Moderator
2,326 Posts

^2020 Japanese Accord Hybrid

Looks like Honda fixed this by making the words ACC go red when off. They even added the words NORMAL to the instrument panel when the car is in normal mode.

·
Super Moderator
3,305 Posts
Looks like Honda fixed this by making the words ACC go red when off. They even added the words NORMAL to the instrument panel when the car is in normal mode.
Not sure that the ACC indicator for the 2020 Accord is configured differently from the 19/20 Insight. The snapshot looks like a 'trouble' screen (e.g. brake, engine, VSA warnings) rather than operational mode.

Perhaps the Japanese configuration will be different, but the 2020 Accord Hybrid manual mentions 'amber ACC' alert appears in the same conditions as listed for the 19/20 Insight, and still shows ACC and LKAS flanking the 'Cruise Mode' method when normal cruise control is selected (attached).

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

^2020 Japanese Accord Hybrid

this is more polished for sure

1 - 16 of 16 Posts