Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Insight for a little over two months now. I have a 100 mile round trip commute everyday and enjoy listening to podcasts and music to pass the time. Over the last few weeks, I have noticed that bass notes are starting to make the doors rattle even at moderate volumes. I took it into the dealer yesterday (Saturday), and demonstrated it to the service adviser and he agreed that it is not normal. Three and a half hours later - I get my car back and they said that they could only hear vibration when the volume was at 100 percent and that operation is normal. They went on to say that they heard the same rattles in other brand new Insights.. Needless to say I was livid, however when I talked to the service manager - he told me that they cannot do any work because the technical department is closed on Saturday. He said that he didn't want anyone taking off door panels if there was already a fix in the making that Honda hasn't put up a bulletin for because that's extra wear on the door panels. He told me I would hear back from them within the next week and that if I didn't hear back from them to give him a call at the end of the week and gave me his card.

I just wanted to hear what others here think of this. Is this normal procedure for Honda? How hard is it to take door panels off and add some dampening? Should I do it myself or wait for the dealership to take care of it (IF they do)?? I love the car, but this experience has left a sour taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
143 Posts
3.5 hours if the door panels weren't popped is just poor. I don't know how hard they are to remove on the Insight, but generally there will be a couple screws hidden and the rest is just held in with clips that will be instantly destroyed. You can pick up the panel tool and a variety pack of clips on amazon pretty cheap these days. I have pretty low expectations for OEM audio systems, so I keep the Bass in mid range and I don't hear it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The stereos in this car rattle. I had the same problem when I picked mine up and the dealer worked their butts off with foam tape, etc... to deal with all the rattles. They even had to replace the driver's door panel to fix one of them. The only rattle I still have to deal with is at the rear stop lamp on the back deck. I've ordered new speakers for my car and I'm going to dynamat areas to keep vibrations at a minimum. This stereo rattling problem is definitely real and I made a huge deal in the surveys concerning this. I don't recommend you take off the door panel yourself at this time. Let the dealer handle this under warranty and feel comfortable at least knowing you're not alone in this problem. Also, I find the seatbelt holder on the driver's side tends to buzz sometimes so if anyone hears this weird buzzing in your left ear that's it.

On another note, I did a search but couldn't find the thread that had a list of a recommended oil for oil change. Someone mentioned one with good cleaners in it and I'd like to order it for my first oil change. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,330 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
On another note, I did a search but couldn't find the thread that had a list of a recommended oil for oil change. Someone mentioned one with good cleaners in it and I'd like to order it for my first oil change. Thanks
I think this might be the thread you were looking for... https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/194-1st-oil-change-5.html

I haven't experience any rattles in my car and I listen to music/radio on volume 10.
Thanks for the link. Oh and just so you know I'm joking... 10?! You're an amateur my dude! I play 30 to 40 all the way! 😛

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,330 Posts
Thanks for the link. Oh and just so you know I'm joking... 10?! You're an amateur my dude! I play 30 to 40 all the way! 😛
I was thinking of turning it up but I don't want the rattles(also to prevent scraping my car again without realizing it). :sad: I blasted music in my old civic and the rear speakers would always rattle. It seem to get worse during the winter when it is really cold outside.

·
Registered
23 Posts
never heard rattling in my insight, thank God! I would be heated too. Only thing i heard rattling when stereo was on the loud side was my garage remote clipped to the visor. I think I still have my old base tube (bazooka) from my 2000 celica somewhere... that hit hard...

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,063 Posts
never heard rattling in my insight, thank God! I would be heated too. Only thing i heard rattling when stereo was on the loud side was my garage remote clipped to the visor. I think I still have my old base tube (bazooka) from my 2000 celica somewhere... that hit hard...
Ah, the ol' garage door opener! My wife complained of two rattles from her new Civic. One was the garage door remote in the console, and the other was the AAA emergency kit's zipper sliding around on the trunk tray. Both her Civic and my Insight are dead silent in terms of rattles. I'll consider myself lucky!

·
Registered
4 Posts
for whatever its worth......

Just got back from the dealer yesterday for faint rattle noise near glove box area.
Did the test drive and service tech agreed as to hearing the noise as well.
They narrowed it down to the two kick panels left and right passenger side. Apparently when they pulled the panels, there are only 3 small lame clips holding the left panel and a few weak clips holding the right. This causing panels to rattle on bumps or music. They put some insulation around the panels, made it snug, noise is gone. Test drove it cold and warmed up in cabin. Still quiet. At first I thought maybe it was the door panel but at least in mine, it was the kick panels.
Dealer was super cool and easy. He said any more squeaks or rattles, bring it in thats what you have the warranty for. Great dealer.

I put up for the rattle for maybe 3-4 months than I couldn't take it anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts