Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a 2019 Honda Insight that I bought brand new 3 years ago and ever since I purchased it there has been a light rattle under the car. It should like metal tapping into metal while accelerating. Depending on the direction of the wind the rattle can be fairly loud or very quiet. I went under the car a while back to check things out and see if there was anything obvious, at that time I had thought I had discovered the issue because the engine guard (big piece of metal you have to take off to change the oil) only had 3 of the 9 screws in it. I've only ever taken it to the dealership I bought it from for maintenance so as you can imagine I was not very impressed when I saw this. After adding new screws and tightening everything down the rattle is still happening :/. If anybody has any ideas on what this could be I am all ears.

Here are a couple videos I have with the microphone pointing towards where the sound is coming from. I have more as well so let me know if these two aren't enough. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,113 Posts
I would've asked the dealership to investigate once I heard the rattle. That's definitely not normal.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hello! I have a 2019 Honda Insight that I bought brand new 3 years ago and ever since I purchased it there has been a light rattle under the car. It should like metal tapping into metal while accelerating. Depending on the direction of the wind the rattle can be fairly loud or very quiet. I went under the car a while back to check things out and see if there was anything obvious, at that time I had thought I had discovered the issue because the engine guard (big piece of metal you have to take off to change the oil) only had 3 of the 9 screws in it. I've only ever taken it to the dealership I bought it from for maintenance so as you can imagine I was not very impressed when I saw this. After adding new screws and tightening everything down the rattle is still happening :/. If anybody has any ideas on what this could be I am all ears.

Here are a couple videos I have with the microphone pointing towards where the sound is coming from. I have more as well so let me know if these two aren't enough. Thank you!

This is similar to the exact same rattle I’m hearing on my 2019! Except mine mostly happens when hitting bumps, although it can happen on rough surfaces that cause certain vibrations to initiate the rattle. Like yours, sometimes it’s louder than others. I too thought it was the engine guard as it was missing a metal bolt but replacing the bolt and even removing the whole thing did nothing to stop the noise. I plan on bringing it up at the next oil change. There is a TSB out for a rattle caused by some plastic cap in the front suspension so it’s possible this is the issue, but it really sounds like metal against metal. Let’s keep each other informed because other than this, the car has been perfect!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 2019 but mine was more of a "clicking" sound that happened only when going over 45mph. I took it to the dealer and after several days, they found the problem, a loose "exhaust heat shield" well, that's what they told me at least. It's worth checking all of the shields/covers to see if maybe one might be loose.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 2019 but mine was more of a "clicking" sound that happened only when going over 45mph. I took it to the dealer and after several days, they found the problem, a loose "exhaust heat shield" well, that's what they told me at least. It's worth checking all of the shields/covers to see if maybe one might be loose.
You know, I’m thinking it could be a heat shield too. All the extra plastic panels make it hard to see what’s going on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts