Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of my whenever I get bored enough series of adding color to the interior of my Insight, here is how to change the cover of your sun visors in a somewhat helpful step by step version.

Step one, which is probably the most painful even though it works exactly as described, remove sun visor {see attachment}. It is just a pain getting it lined up perfectly for the sun visor to actually pop out.

So, this is your sun visor.
Rectangle Gadget Trunk Material property Netbook

Pop off the light cover, remove the two screws, and the mirror assembly pulls out.

Office supplies Rectangle Office equipment Material property Wood

Gas Office supplies Office equipment Rectangle Machine

Sewing machine Household appliance accessory Material property Office equipment Sewing

I recommend just cutting the old cover off and it just pulls out of where it is tucked in.

You do not have to, but you can push the two thingies in on this and pull the other thingy out as it will make it easier to install your new cover. There is one of those on each side and you have to hit them both for it to come out.

Hat Electric blue Pattern Font Personal protective equipment

Finger Creative arts Line Electrical wiring Cable

Next lay out your fabric. The original cover has the pillow type where they sew the two sides and then fold it inside out, I just kept the seam on the outside as that would have taken an extra few seconds. Anywho I sewed one end closed so it would not move while sewing the rest. I recommend stretchy fabric, but use whatever you wish. Also the original has a thin layer of sew foam on it, maybe 1/8 inch? I just used scuba neoprene. Soft feel and stretchy.

But yeah, sewed one end. Slid it over the sun visor and pulled somewhat tight while sewing the rest closed.

Line Rectangle Creative arts Wood Automotive tire

Blue Azure Textile Hood Wood

You can close it out by hand, but since this is my work beater I am not looking for perfection. After that, there is a split in the sun visor and just take a flat tip screwdriver and start tucking it in. I would recommend you start with the closed end away from the pivot.

Blue Purple Sleeve Textile T-shirt

Aww, too many pictures, continued in post two...

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
But yea, at the other end insert cap thingy.

Hand Blue Gesture Finger Hood

You are going to need to then cut a few holes for the mirror. Circles are mandatory, arrows are suggested, but you can get by without.

Textile Rectangle Bag Creative arts Luggage and bags

And that translates somewhat to this...

White Blue Sleeve Textile Bag

Reinstall the mirror and to finish it off you need to cut a hole for the hooker thing-a-ma-bob. I cut about a quarter inch in.

Blue Textile Sleeve Material property Jersey

And then tuck it in. This will be a bit more of a pain as there is not meant to be any tucking. This hooker thing-a-ma-bob comes off, but my experience from other vehicles is that it is insanely easy to break, no one is going to sell you pieces of a sun visor, and you might as well just take the pain. But tuck it in the same way...

Blue Product Screwdriver Material property Gas

Now, I got lazy, and again, work beater so yeah. Technically it goes under this flap here...

Hood Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper Denim

I just left it over. I did not take pictures of this side before hand, so look at your old one if you do not understand what I mean.

Then reinstall. The plastic lock thing you used to remove the sun visor can turn on you and if you are having trouble putting it back in your car, check that.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
In the end, here is what my 3/4 behind attempt looks like. Both visors.

Blue Azure Rectangle Dishware Font

Hood Blue Azure Rectangle Sleeve

Blue Azure Textile Rectangle Bag

Azure Rectangle Trunk Bag Electric blue

Also, if you are worried about the government required sticker informing you to not put your child in front of an explosion, well looks like they do not list a part number for that. Guess Darwinism will just have to win that round. I am sure there is aftermarket stuff for it however.

Also, if you are interested. The LED bulb for these is a 74. I do not recall where I bought them.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Side note, if you do not sew the end by the cap like lazy me, it will be a weak point and start loosening from there. Guess I will have to fix that in a year or two when I get around to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts