Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran a couple of errands this morning. Had to back up several times. Everything worked fine. The wide-angle view through the rear camera was the same as always.

We then went out for another errand and, in backing out of the garage, noticed two things we had never seen before!

1. The bottom strip of the view, the framing, was a bright garnet color -- matching the color of our 2019 Crimson Pearl Insight. It had always been dark before.

2. The license plate was somewhat visible in the lower right corner.

Never seen -- or noticed -- either before. The colored strip and plate were also visible, though not as much, in the middle angle "normal" view.

We thought something might have jolted the camera out of position, but we did NOT use the trunk during the errands, the roads were the same smooth ones as always, and there were no bumps.

We, then, figured that the bright morning sunshine (it's usually cloudy or overcast here) had lit up the rear of the car and shown us the car's coloring for the first time. But the license plate?

Later, when leaving the grocery store, we backed up in shade and the view looked as it always had.

Checked the rear camera when we got home... it's snug. I checked online videos and did find some that show the license plate in the wide-angle rear camera view, but they were for other Hondas, not the Insight.

Any ideas? Does anyone else see the license plate at the bottom rear right-hand side in wide-angle view? It's small, elongated, and distorted, but it's definitely there.

I presume everyone sees the color of their car in the bottom strip of the rear view. Am I right about that?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,051 Posts
I'll post an update with a picture when I head out later to check.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,051 Posts
Wide view

Normal view

Here are my pictures so you can compare with your Insight.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Andrew, very helpful! Thanks so much doing that and posting them.

So the license plate is visible! I think mine shows up a tad more in the wide-angle than yours does.

I also found two on-line videos, one by our own Verdier.

See
at the 36-seconds mark.

and

Verdier's at
at the 42-seconds mark.

That's in Part 4 of his marvelous video series on the Insight. Filled with information and wit!

Both videos also suggest or have hints of license plate visibility. Your photos, Andrew, combined with the videos, also confirm that the odd curved shape of what I call "the framing" at the bottom. That's what shows the car's color and trunk in the distorted wide-angle view. I also confirmed that I'm seeing the street or sidewalk clearly, so that's remained the same. Whew!

Now, I must be losing it because today when we ran errands, I was amazed at seeing the side of the car in Lane Watch! Again, that seemed a surprise, but was likely due to being out in bright sunshine and the Crimson Pearl lighting up so well. A variety of online videos definitely confirm that the side of the car shows up in Lane Watch. I tried readjusting the mirror with the driver controls but, of course, that merely changes the mirror within the side housing, not the LW itself.

In any event, I hope that my surprise and "discoveries" will reassure others if they have started seeing things in their cameras! :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts