Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Installed a progress 20.6mm rear sway bar with upgraded accord endlinks, totally transformed how the insight handles
@zeekevin Can you share a bit more info on body roll and steering response? I found their website, but I'm not noticing a lot of body roll or unresponsive steering.

Progress Tech Rear Sway Bar: This upgrade will improve the chassis balance and add that new level of control that you are looking for. This larger 20.6mm Progress Sway bar will reduce body roll and improve steering response. Progress engineers have developed this rear sway bar upgrade for your new daily driver, promising superior performance, quiet operation and unmatched durability. It's a quick & easy installation, just six fasteners and you will be rolling in minutes, not hours. Just install, torque to specs, and hit that favorite twisty road!

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
I've noticed the Insight in its stock format doesn't handle very well - good amount of body roll even at low speeds. Can you elaborate on the transformation? Did that rear bar reduce the roll? Did it affect the ride any?
In Sport mode, the dampers become firmer for flat cornering; the Electric Power Steering (EPS) provides a direct, linear feel; Agile Handling Assist becomes more aggressive in the corners; Drive-by-Wire throttle response is powerful and direct; the transmission’s shifting is quicker; and Active Sound Control gives the Accord a sportier exhaust note.
I didn't find much detail info on the insight's sport mode but I did find the above quote from Honda for the accord hybrid's sport mode. I might be imagining things but I feel less body roll in sport mode...

Reactions: sEXzNsite

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you post links to the products you purchased?
https://www.progressauto.com/products/sfID1/12/sfID2/34/sfID3/35/productID/841

I've noticed the Insight in its stock format doesn't handle very well - good amount of body roll even at low speeds. Can you elaborate on the transformation? Did that rear bar reduce the roll? Did it affect the ride any?

the insight handles terrible in stock form, it reduced a ton of body roll. it handles amazing, ride quality overall did not change

I didn't find much detail info on the insight's sport mode but I did find the above quote from Honda for the accord hybrid's sport mode. I might be imagining things but I feel less body roll in sport mode...

sport mode on the insight mainly just changes the throttle input and "power" no changes to the steering and suspension

·
Registered
124 Posts
Regarding the 20mm rear sway bar - I'm assuming it's necessary to get the Upgraded Accord End Links for the larger bar, correct? And how much are the Upgraded Accord End Links?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Installed a progress 20.6mm rear sway bar with upgraded accord endlinks, totally transformed how the insight handles

View attachment 1422

View attachment 1424

View attachment 1426

View attachment 1428

View attachment 1430
zeekevin, I'm seriously thinking of picking up the sway bar cause I hate the body roll. May I ask why you chose to use the Accord endlinks rather than the stock ones? Progress Groups instructions don't indicate they needed to be changed and I'm assuming the civic's endlinks are the same as the Insights... or maybe not? Did you upgrade to the accords simply because the accords are beefier to better match the larger sway bar?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have been going through the Honda Parts Catalog and cross referencing shared suspension parts for those that want to perform upgrades.
It is fairly safe to assume that, if the Stabilizer Bar in the Insight and Civic are the same, the aftermarket Stabilizer bar for the Civic will fit our Insights (Disclaimer: I am not making a promise, just making an assumption based on the shared similarities between the Civic and Insight)

So far, this is what I have found.... The following parts are shared with 2016 through 2018 Civics (Coupe & Sedan including SI) unless otherwise noted

REAR SUSPENSION - Shared with 2016 through 2018 Civics (Coupe & Sedan including SI) unless otherwise noted
-
Rear Stabilizer - INSIGHT SPECIFIC AS OF 8/1/18
Rear Stabilizer Holder Bracket - 52308-TBA-A10
Rear Stabilizer Link - 52320-TBA-A01
This comment is for @zeekevin who swapped out the stock sway bar (stabilizer) with the Progress Group 20.6mm rear sway bar with upgraded accord end links. I see according to tyler65's list of shared parts that the rear bar of the Insight is different than that of the civics. Thus I'm assuming since your install went well and everything appears to be working fine that the 20.6mm bar was indeed compatible with the Insight...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Wow. Looking for this Rear Sway Bar only upgrade.
What end-links are recommended?

Do you have the exact LINKS to the rear sway bars and rear end links? I may order next week.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Most people will intall a rear bar to help reduce body roll, however there are consequences.
Insight owners have installed Progress, Eibach and maybe Stock Type-R rear bars.
All bars are not alike and one must be cautious on which one they choose.
Keep in mind that Bigger is NOT necesarily better....

Here's IMO a great write up I found on the civicX forum regarding rear sway bars.

DIY: Si or CTR Rear Stabilizer Bar on Normal Civic Sedan/Coupe/Hatch

The Honda writer gives great insight from personal experience of going from a stock civic with no sway bar to what one would consider the best way to go, a civic type-r sway bar, then down grading to a stock civic SI sway bar.

From what I gathered "IF I WERE" to install a rear sway bar I'd go with the stock Civic SI bar so as to get perhaps better handling and maintain the ride quality. I think the others TO ME would be far too agressive unless one was upgrading their struts and springs too. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thank you for the input.
Is the STOCK civic Si rear sway bars thinner then the Progressive Rear Sway Bar?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes it is -

Insight = 16mm
Progress = 20.6mm
Civic Si = 18mm
Civic Type-R = 20.5mm
Eibach = 22mm
Whiteline = 22mm

BTW, I contacted the writer of the write-up and asked if he had tried the Si bar since it wasn't clear if he had or not. He replied he did NOT, but for the Insight he too would choose the Si bar with leaving everything else unchanged.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ok.
Rear "Si" sway bar it is.
Any internet LINKS to buy it from?

Also,
What end links to buy?

Thank you. I will give reviews

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am currently waiting on parts to arrive, I am doing the Civic Type-R rear sway with accord end links:
52300-TGH-A03: CTR rear stabalizer
52300-TGH-A03: CTR Bracket, Rear Stabilizer Holder x2 needed
52300-TGH-A03: Accord End Link, Rear Stabilizer x2
After reading all these guides I wish the CTR sway was still as cheap as it was, but I got it for the same price as the progress bar.

·
Registered
205 Posts
2019 Insight Touring:
Are these the exact Rear Sway Bar we are looking for? Please correct if wrong. Thank you:)

Civic Si rear Sway bar

and Accord rear End links (2x)

·
Registered
45 Posts
....just realized my copy and paste did not work lol....yes: 52320-TLB-A00 is the accord endlinks. That does appear to be the the correct SI bar.

·
Registered
124 Posts
2019 Insight Touring:
Are these the exact Rear Sway Bar we are looking for? Please correct if wrong. Thank you:)

Civic Si rear Sway bar

and Accord rear End links (2x)

I'd just stick with the stock end links, no need to upgrad to the Accords

1 - 20 of 29 Posts