Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I raised this question inside another thread, but i figured it deserved its own entry. (Thanks to dj1 for your thoughtful response in that other thread!)

What's your sense of rear visibility on the Insight — both in the rear view mirror and looking over one's shoulder?

Coming from an older car, without the sloping roofline, the view seems a bit cramped and the back headrests seem to intrude a fair bit in the rear view mirror. Maybe, though, I didn't set the mirror — or the driver's seat — properly on my test drive!

Were you bothered by it? Was it easily adjusted to?

It seems that most modern sedans have the smaller rear window and sloping roofline, so it's something that comes with the territory now. Or, as dj1 notes, it's a set up that one simply gets used to!

I find everything else about the car captivating (well, save for the lack of BSM and RCTA). (Blind-spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use my side mirrors. I put a blind spot mirror on the left. If you turn on lane watch you can see what’s going on behind you.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I figure the rear view camera, standard on all trims, is a fair substitute for when you’re in a parking lot. There's the rear side windows too in that case. When you're on the road then the window is big enough to see cars through, which should be the most of it. Finally it doesn’t feel any smaller or larger than the VW Passat I came from.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have found visibility to be pretty good in this car. The self dimming mirror is a bit small in my opinion but works well enough. I find my old 2004 prius' visibility to be better but the insight does well. On the other hand, the Hyundai ioniq and Chevy volt are nearly impossible to see out of. I do have to say I was very impressed with the Volt's driving characteristics and the Bose stereo nearly made me wet my pants.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rear visibility was what turned me off the Prius, which was what I was planning on buying. I just couldn't see out of the back of it. I wound up between the Volt and the Insight, but preferred the Insight overall. I find that I can see just fine out the back of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts