Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a design complaint that I’ve been noticing a lot and finally decided to voice my annoyance with it. The raised rear pillars create a very narrow deep crevice on either side of the rear window where leaves and other debris just collect. Unless your nails are long, it’s almost impossible to dig some of the debris out and wind is unable to dislodge leaves that get caught under the glass lip. The bottom of the crevice has a narrow opening between weatherstripping so pushing the debris out with water is not easy either. I’ve never had a car collect so many leaves! It’s literally a daily chore. Most who have garages would never notice this, but my Insight is parked outside and it’s extremely annoying. Very poor design.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try to get some photos for us if you could.
Here are a few photos. Admittedly, this amount of debris isn’t too bad as it’s not been as windy lately so there’s less debris getting in there. But it still shows how deep the crevice is and how hard it is to clean it out.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Ah, thanks for the pictures. I was thinking the collection point was somewhere inside the car (oops). I'll make it a point to check area on next wash. Almost seems like water pressure and/or air blower is needed to clear that deep groove.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that the oak trees are dropping leaves, here’s just how bad the leaf collection zone gets in the rear. These pics of the massive amount of leaves was taken AFTER traveling for 20 minutes including a few miles on the highway. The trunk design must really keep the wind completely off the trunk lid as I’ve never seen so many leaves stay in place after driving at higher speeds. The crevice between the weatherstrip at the base of the windshield and the trunk lid is the world’s strongest leaf catcher. I had to hand pick all these leaves off, otherwise they fly into the trunk as soon as you open it.

By the way, the car is parked next to my carport on the other side of the house from the offending trees so it’s not like it’s parked directly under it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Now that the oak trees are dropping leaves, here’s just how bad the leaf collection zone gets in the rear. These pics of the massive amount of leaves was taken AFTER traveling for 20 minutes including a few miles on the highway.
Wow, definitely not designed well for small leaves like the ones in your area. I'm guessing the deep groove design is to help channel water away (?), but it's not good for situations like these.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Interestingly, Honda's rendering of aerodynamic flow kind of shows the "dead zone" you call out on the left/right rear windshield pillars, and it's described as an aerodynamic "feature":

"We designed the trunk's surface to optimize aerodynamic performance while [...] preventing airflow from entering the rear of the vehicle."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts