Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to get the rear windows to roll all the way down ? I have a 2019 LX..

Also,
I think there may be a hack one day to enable maximum regenerative braking all the time. Maybe I should look into it :) ( of course I should wait until warranty expires to do such a thing if possible )..I was giving it some thought as to why Honda did this (adding paddles) given different driving conditions and it made sense.. but I wish they would’ve gave us the option to turn off/on (permanent and controlled regenerative braking power)..

Perhaps a future model will have it and us 2019/20 owners can retrofit it into our cars.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
Is there a way to get the rear windows to roll all the way down ? I have a 2019 LX..
Unfortunately, the rear passenger windows don't fully 'fit' into the door space it's retracting into... so there's a limit to how low the glass can roll down, and the top of the glass shows above the door frame.

BTW - this is true for all Insight trims (not just LX :) ) and multiple manufacturers. One solution would be for manufacturers to make the rear quarter window larger, but this would also reduce the dimensions of the side window opening.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I can't recall having windows that roll all the way down for any of the cars I have ever owned. Even my old 2003 Grand Prix GT didn't have windows that would go all the way down. The only cars I can recall that had windows that rolled all the way down in the back may have been - nope, never-mind I can't remember one.

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
I can't recall having windows that roll all the way down for any of the cars I have ever owned. Even my old 2003 Grand Prix GT didn't have windows that would go all the way down. The only cars I can recall that had windows that rolled all the way down in the back may have been - nope, never-mind I can't remember one.
LOLZ. Here's one explanation of history from AutoTrader, and examples of a few that do fully roll down:
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/how-come-rear-windows-dont-roll-all-the-way-down-272199

"For many years, people assumed [not rolling down fully] was a safety feature, [...] so children riding in the back seat couldn't fling themselves out the window while the car was moving, resulting in certain injury or death. [...] The real reason these windows don't roll down all the way is because of automotive door design; the windows rolled down as far as they could before reaching the top of the wheel arch, and then they had to stop, because they simply had nowhere to go. This is the reason why Subaru windows were always angled; Subaru had their windows tilt forward as they went down to allow the windows to drop a little further than windows that went down straight.

There was never a law or regulation preventing windows from going down all the way, and indeed some vehicles had their windows go down all the way, even many years ago; the "XJ" Jeep Cherokee, for example, always had its rear windows go down the entire way, never stopping in the middle like the windows in some cars did.

So why do more windows go down all the way now? Two reasons: One is that automakers have learned customers would prefer windows to go down all the way, either for pets or simply because windows that don't drop all the way look unfinished and poorly designed. The other, I assume, is that cars continue to get larger, which has allowed automakers to pull back rear wheels and rear wheel arches, providing more space for the rear door and more space for the window to drop."

·
Registered
331 Posts
Actually I just remembered my dads old station wagon (Woody).. I think that he also had a Ford LTD that had windows that went down all the way. That's interesting that more cars are being made with windows that go down all the way.. It doesn't matter much to me though, here in FL it's hardly ever a good time to drive with the windows down.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My last car, a 2010 Prius , had the ability to roll rear windows all the way down. I was just kind of shocked when I found out my Insight couldn’t do it. I was thinking to myself , cmon we’re in 2019. Not the end of the world but a dislike of mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve been driving for 30 years and my insight is the first 4 door car I’ve ever owned. I was very surprised and a teenytiny bit annoyed the rear windows didn’t roll down all the way. Now I understand why they don’t! And I decided it’s silly for me personally to care one way or another since I hope I never have to ride in the back seat. ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m wondering if there is a modification that can be done to inside of door to roll entire rear window down..

Probably not but who knows..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts