Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a notice from Carfax (does not show up on Hondaowners.com) for the above reason. Does anyone have any ideas what this is about (possibly all the phantom error messages people frequently get)?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got one yesterday that is probably the same.

The Honda Canada site says
An outstanding recall or product update campaign has been identified for your vehicle. However, the description document for this campaign is not yet available. It will be posted shortly. For immediate assistance, please contact your Honda dealer or Honda Canada Customer Relations at 888-9HONDA9 for more information.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Additional details: Recall - Body Control Module Software Update

Campaign ID 053

Recall Date 12/10/2020

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
I think it relates to the 'investigation' Honda has open for a while, which started earlier this year... where BCM and CAN settings are mentioned. - MC 1/28/20, 2/13/20, 3/3/20 - Malfunction Indicator Light

The early postings referenced in the link are on the NHTSA site as 'Manufacturer Communication' for the 2019 Insight rather than a Recall, and Honda asked dealers to gather data/examples of issues. Perhaps enough examples have now been gathered, but it's not (yet?) posted on the Honda Owners or NHTSA site as a Recall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, ‘20 Accord owner here. Got an email from carfax about this recall (see pic). I updated my cars software before bringing it to the dealer and they said the update cleared the error. Still curious about it. Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,904 Posts

Got the recall alert for my Insight's VIN via Carfax, too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey guys, ‘20 Accord owner here. Got an email from carfax about this recall (see pic). I updated my cars software before bringing it to the dealer and they said the update cleared the error. Still curious about it. Cheers. View attachment 6186
How were you able to update the Software for the BCM? I assume you need to pay Carfax to get these Recall notices?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,904 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks, I see the Recall Notice now. Maybe the Accord Owners have the ability to update this on their own.

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
WELP... I have to say I'm impressed at how CarFax reports recalls and safety issues much earlier than the actual manufacturer.

Honda has made an official press release for the Accord/Insight BCM Recall as of 12/15/20... 2 days later than CarFax, and without yet posting the recall notice on the Honda Recalls or NHTSA Recall site.
  • 737k cars are affected in the US across the 2018-2020 Accord, 2018-2020 Accord Hybrid, and 2019-2020 Insight models.
  • "Due to a programming flaw, a certain combination of driver actions and vehicle conditions may disrupt communication between the BCM and other components, causing illumination of several warning lights and malfunction of one or more electronic components including the rear view camera display, turn signals and windshield wipers, some potentially increasing the risk of a crash."
  • Mailed notification to affected owners will begin in late-Jan. 2021.
That rear camera is mentioned makes me wonder if the prior rear camera software recall for 2019 Insights was an early indicator of what was to come for the BCM. Also interesting that the 2021 Insight isn't included in the recall. Production on the 2021 Insight started in late-March / early-April 2020, and the 2021 Insight began selling on 5/12/20. Honda began posting 'Manufacturer Communications' in Jan 2020 asking dealers for examples of BCM/DTC/MIL failures, which suggests they've know about (and resolved) the issue more than a year ago... but sat on the information until now (!!).

The press release suggests owners check the www.recalls.honda.com site or call (888) 234-2138 to see if their vehicle is included... but as of right now, the info posted on Honda's Recall site does NOT show notice of this recall yet for the 2018-2020 Accord/Hybrid 2019-2020 Insight model years. The 'latest' recall that is posted there as of now is only the fuel pump recall from May 2020.

The press release also mentions "Honda has received no reports of crashes or injuries related to this issue" - but we know that several owners have posted multiple complaints on rogue error messages and electrical issues previously.

@Wifey'sInsight began seeing this 1.5 years ago (Jul 2019) and narrowed down possible cause to BCM at the time. The dealer initially kept resetting the BCM, but later provided a software update. I'm curious as to whether the 'new' software update will be needed for that car, or if the software update solution from 1.5 years ago is the same fix.

Lastly, Honda used this 'opportunity' to recall the 2002-2006 CR-V for moisture-related power window switch failures (268k cars) and multiple 2007-2015 models in 'salt belt states' for front drive shaft corrosion risk (430k cars). In total across these 3 recall notices, Honda is recalling 1.79 million vehicles worldwide, of which 1.4 million are in the US... and half of the US recall is for the Accord/Insight BCM alone.

Doing some rough math on US Accord sales and Insight sales across the affected model years (2018 Accord started selling in Oct 2017, and 2019 Insight started selling in June 2018)... the cumulative sales data (574k) suggests that every 2018-2020 Accord and 2019-2020 Insight will be affected by this recall. My guess is the remaining 163k (to add up to the 737k total recall) are unsold cars in dealer inventory.

·
Registered
143 Posts
That might be why we get these random error messages...

Too bad can't just connect to wifi and download whatever software update

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
Too bad can't just connect to wifi and download whatever software update
Per 2020 Accord owner @pdwilko above, a (DIY) software update made before bringing to dealer cleared the issue without dealer needing to update. Hopefully similar is available and works for the Insight. Not thrilled about having to bring the car in for ANOTHER recall. I would have done both the fuel pump and this together, had Honda been more forthcoming in communicating this recall rather than sitting on it for a year.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,457 Posts
Not thrilled about having to bring the car in for ANOTHER recall. I would have done both the fuel pump and this together, had Honda been more forthcoming in communicating this recall rather than sitting on it for a year.
I'm happy I haven't done my fuel pump recall yet :)

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
The BCM Software recall is now posted on the NHTSA site, as a "non-compliance recall" dated 12/10/20. The 4 posted documents include information on repair instructions. However the Honda Recall site still does not list this as a recall (WTF).

• It's a ~20 minute repair
  • There's a different program update for the Insight LX (38808-TXM-AA10) versus EX/Touring (38808-TXM-AB10)
  • Techs are instructed to ensure the 12V battery is fully charged before starting, AND to keep connection to a fully charged jumper battery during the entire procedure to ensure steady voltage.
  • Control Unit damage can occur if anything electrical is operated during the update (headlights, audio system, brakes, A/C, power windows, door locks, etc)
  • 4 of the 8 pages in the posted document are for "recovery" procedures, in case errors occur during the update or the Honda Data System fails.
Specific breakout of the 737k affected US Accord and Insight models are as follows. Every produced 2019-2020 Insight is affected, based on comparison to sales data:

The troubleshooting timeline recap says:
  • SEP 2019 - Honda began investigating this issue
  • MAR 2020 - No Japanese Insights are being recalled (maybe because of the electronics differences vs US)
  • APR 2020 - 'Programming improvement' was made across all Honda production (which is why the 2021 Insight isn't affected)
  • JUN to NOV 2020 - Testing, root cause analysis and investigation
  • DEC 03 2020 - Non-compliance confirmed and recall triggered
  • DEC 11 2020 - Dealer notification began
  • JAN 18 2021 - Owner notification will begin
The root cause and symptoms are listed as follows:
  • "There is a setting mismatch between the body control module (BCM) microcomputer and the CAN controller settings. This causes the BCM to lose B-CAN communication"
  • When this occurs, the following symptoms occur intermittently or continuously: ACC and LKAS indicators flash; turn signal/hazard lights do not work; rearview camera and door/trunk locks do not work
  • The affected systems/malfunctions that violate Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards: windshield wipers and defroster, rearview camera, exterior lights, audible warning of a stopped vehicle, and power window operation.
  • The symptoms can also trigger diagnostic troubleshooting codes (DTCs) U128D, U1291, U1281, and/or U1280.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A recall warning with a description was displayed in the HondaLink app. Screenshots cannot be made, the application itself blocks this possibility.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts