Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was notified of a pending recall for my Insight on Friday via carfax. I use carfax maintenance service to keep track of my service records since my dealership automatically uploads them there. The recall doesn't appear to have an official NHTSA recall number so I can't confirm the recall is legit yet.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Will be interested in further details, but this seems kinda weird at initial glance. Honda would own the VIN identification / notification list, and would publish that first before anyone else can see or access it. And CarFax seems an unlikely first place to be notified.

Do you see anything listed for your car when you look up VIN on Honda's site? If it's VIN specific and CarFax was notified, perhaps something will show up there online for you. Quick check of my VIN on the site still says "no safety recalls for this vehicle."

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Honda/Acura has an open fuel pump recall for 437k cars (16-18 Acura MDX, 15-19 Acura TLX V6, 15-17 Honda Accord V6)... and there's an extended powertrain warranty for 1 million CR-Vs and Civics with 1.5L turbocharged engines. But both have the common them of larger and/or higher-powered engines. Highlights from this prior recall:
  • the recall only applied to models with the 3.5-liter V-6 engine
  • sodium particulates in low-quality fuels may cling to internal fuel pump components, causing electrical and mechanical resistance and poor fuel pump performance
  • Honda dealers will perform a fuel injection ECU software update to eliminate 10V fuel pump operation to prevent issue; OR if diagnostic scan indicates the pump previously stalled, owner will receive a new fuel pump
  • any owners who repaired or replaced this prior to recall will receive reimbursement.

Honda also has a weird fuel pump recall for 107k 17-19 Ridgeline models, due to acids in car wash products having an adverse reaction with the fuel pump.

In China, 775k Honda models are being recalled for fuel pumps. This was one of the newest recall announcements Honda has made (late-May 2020), but as of now seems local to the Chinese market.

Toyota/Lexus also has a larger (1.8 million) car recall involving fuel pumps on 2013-2019 models.

Haven't seen anything yet for the GenX (18-20) Honda Accord Hybrid, which would be the closest engine comparison to the Insight. It's surprising just how many cars with fuel pump issues are being recalled across multiple manufacturers. Hoping the Insight notice is not related to any of these examples above...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just received this email for the recall on fuel pump for my 2019 Insight. Anyone has more information?

Recall #W7F 2019-20 Insight Fuel Pump Motor Safety

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Just received this email for the recall on fuel pump for my 2019 Insight. Anyone has more information?

Recall #W7F 2019-20 Insight Fuel Pump Motor Safety
Didn't receive email, and VIN-lookup didn't show anything for my car. When you look up your VIN on the Honda site, is there any additional info/detail? Was hoping it wasn't real...

There's mention above from @andrew28 above that this same "#W7F" recall ID appeared for VIN that is listed/tracked via CarFax.

These resources / contacts are listed on Honda's recall page:

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Customer Service
Recall Line:
(888) 234-2138
Monday-Friday: 6am-5pm PT

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Vehicle Safety Hotline
(888) 327-4236 toll free
safercar.gov

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got this same carfax email today. Checking my VIN at safercar.gov does not show any open recalls.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you see anything listed for your car when you look up VIN on Honda's site?
I'm not seeing any results on Honda or the government's recall database. Carfax might've received the pending recall somehow ahead of time(My VIN is registered with them).

^I'm thinking it might've something to do with the denso fuel pump recall announced a few weeks ago.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2020/denso-fuel-pump-recall-impellers.shtml
^I'm thinking it might've something to do with the denso fuel pump recall announced a few weeks ago.
There's a related article linked from the one you found which mentions class action complaint for 2013-2019 Hondas with defective Denso fuel pumps. It references that 437k Hondas/Acuras were recalled previously, but that the recall wasn't broad enough to include ALL affected vehicles. - Honda Fuel Pump Class Action Lawsuit Says Pumps Fail

·
Registered
55 Posts
I read elsewhere that a couple of people received the recall notification in the HondaLink app. I have not seen anything for my 2020.

·
Super Moderator
1,238 Posts
Nothing here. Mine was built in July, 2018 (on a Tuesday).

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealerships have access to the service bulletin. Someone over the CivicX forum posted one for the type R issued on 5/29/20. No official announcement from Honda yet most likely due to dealerships waiting for parts as stated in the service bulletin.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
The following is a Canadian site, so the data/reporting may be limited to Canada... but it quotes 10459 cars affected in Canada across 12 Honda models including the 2019 Insight.

Apparently the Canadian government is more timely/forthcoming about recall information,
Transport Canada Recall # 2020236.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Sidebar... but when I glance too quickly at the subject line for this thread, I see/read "WTF" (rather than W7F).

But maybe that's just me & my disillusioned view of this major safety defect coming for my NEW car...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm guessing my vehicle is effected as well with this, 2020 insight touring. Nothing on the VIN lookup but I heard the notices will start in July? So I'm guessing it won't show up till then...

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I'm guessing my vehicle is effected as well with this, 2020 insight touring. Nothing on the VIN lookup but I heard the notices will start in July? So I'm guessing it won't show up till then...
Likely so. The AP article andrew28 shared above mentions it includes 2019-2020 Insights, and owner notification in July. The article snippet mentions 1.4 million cars worldwide, and 136k cars in the US. (10k cars in Canada are mentioned in separate article.)

Given that it's "only" 136k cars in the US and is spread across multiple model years (2018-2020) and model types (Accord, Civic Hatch, Civic Type-R, HR-V, Fit, Insight, Acura RDX/RLX/NSX) it seems like it will be variable as to who's affected by production date.

This is still speculation as we await details - but one thing going "against" this chance of likelihood is that all Insights are produced at a single plant, rather than multiple plants. So high probability that the part(s) affected all Insights in the investigated time frame.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Carfax updated the recall with a little more detail on the defect along with the official NHTSA #.

NHTSA Report 20v-314:

If you own a 2020 Insight only 10 units affected. Apparently Honda only made 10 2020 Insights during that one month period between 8/2019 - 9/2019 before they stopped using the defective Denso part.

I wonder what happened to the Insights produced between 3/8/19 - 8/26/19 unless Honda just stopped making Insights during that period as they planned for the 2020 model year... It does align with our suspicion that Honda dealerships were lacking Insight inventory after August.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Carfax updated the recall with a little more detail on the defect along with the official NHTSA # 20V-314.
Skimming thru the 17 (!!) documents posted:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Recall on our Fuel Pumps - Notice to go out in July 2020
1591255423800.png

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

The Honda and NHTSA database has been updated now. VIN checks can be done to confirm the recall for your vehicle.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts