Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you like your Swagman? I’ve considered one for my Wrangler, but I’m not sure it would clear the spare tire that hangs from the rear gate.
I like the Swagman a lot. Easy to mount the bikes. The only complaint is that it seems a little heavy. Wish it were lighter and made of something like carbon fiber, however, that would jack the price considerably. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like the Swagman a lot. Easy to mount the bikes. The only complaint is that it seems a little heavy. Wish it were lighter and made of something like carbon fiber, however, that would jack the price considerably. :)
I bought the Kuat Sherpa model for my HR-V, fits tray style, fits either 1 1/4 " or 2" receiver.
32 lbs
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Kuat/SH22G.html

The swagman here is only 28 lbs
https://www.etrailer.com/question-49785.html

I"m not sure if that's the model you were using.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. Have noy purchased onr yet. Will in the spring I think. By that time I'm hoping that Amazon will have some listed. Amazon has an interesting feature. If your car (model and year) is part of your profile, the product searched for will show whether or not it fits your specific car, plus it will have a link to "See all products that fit this vehicle" This screen shot below shows a bike rack, but it's a generic one that will fit most any sedan. The "See all products that fit this vehicle" link shows no specific ones for the Insight. When I had my Honda Fit 2015, there were several options at that link. I imagine in a few months, the Insight will show some options.

https://cl.ly/99fc8949e40f/Image%202018-12-02%20at%2010.10.56%20AM.png

·
Registered
4 Posts
Went to my local trailer hitch gurus and they said nothing it being made as of now for the 2019 Insight. To low of demand. I did email Kurt a couple of months ago and they replied that it is "on their radar". So I too are waiting to find a hitch for my car. My bike rack is fairly new and I don't won't to go the roof rack route. Hopefully!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a very pleasant update for you!

Went to my local trailer hitch gurus and they said nothing it being made as of now for the 2019 Insight. To low of demand. I did email Kurt a couple of months ago and they replied that it is "on their radar". So I too are waiting to find a hitch for my car. My bike rack is fairly new and I don't won't to go the roof rack route. Hopefully!
So check this out. I have a very pleasant update for you. I am going to be the Guinea pig here and I already purchased a hitch from autoanything.com that fits the 2019 civic sedan. I bought this:

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/11463

I bought it for $145.39 shipped. You can actually always talk them down in price if you just simply ask them if thats the best that they can do. They are super awesome to deal with too. Anyway, heres the best part. If it ends up not fitting on my Insight, they offer free return shipping, and a no restocking fee return to get all of my money back. So the way I see it, it's a win win. If I can get this to work, then we're in business! If not, I ship it back and get every penny back. From what I have read and been told, the insight is built on the Civic platform right? Please someone correct me if i'm wrong. So i'm hoping that the mounting points are the same on my car as the civic. Im scheduled to receive it via Fed Ex today, January 5, 2018 so we shall see soon enough! I also have a lot of experience installing hitches on vehicles. So i'm not going into this completely blind. I have a really good idea of what to do. All I need this hitch for is my bike rack. I really need this work so I can get back out on the trails!! I will keep you up to date. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Keep us updated Metalfaceplates, I am very interested. My Swagman is in storage until I can get a hitch on my Insight. I broke down today and bought a Saris Bones, but I hate the way it makes contact with the trunk. I’m already seeing faint scuffs on my beautiful new car’s finish.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I’ve had the same issue with the Bones on two previous cars. No matter how careful I was to clean both the trunk and the carrier pads I still ended up with scratches. I won’t be using it on the Insight since I have a carrier for my Wrangler.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry for no response in almost a week. Later that same day when I received the hitch, my dear Mother passed away. So right now im just sitting on the hitch for a while, because im busy with organizing my moms whole life. But I really do want to get this hitch on!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Owners manual clearly states that this vehicle should not be used for towing. Not surprised Drawtite or others aren't making equipment for the vehicle.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Owners manual clearly states that this vehicle should not be used for towing. Not surprised Drawtite or others aren't making equipment for the vehicle.
The 2018 Civic and Accord Hybrid manuals say the same thing. But hitches are available for both. My guess is they will get around to it when the number of Insights on the road increases.

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
The manual does provide calculation specs for load limits including towing - even though it also states "your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer" on p447. There shouldn't be issue if load limits are observed.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
I also waiting for a fitted hitch solution for my Insight. I contacted Draw Tite since I have a DT hitch right now on my Civic. Draw Tite said they don't have a solution right now.

So for now I still have my 2007 Civic EX where I have a Draw Tite (picked it for light weight) matched with Saris Bones 4-bike hitch (also light). Once a hitch solution is clear, I'll prep my Civic for sale.

Looks like from the past offerings for the Civic, it'll be either Curt or Draw Tite.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hitch receiver

Well, I pulled the rear under=fascia loose and couldn't see qnything to hang a hitch from. I hope I am wrong
ultraslow

1 - 20 of 90 Posts