Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 23k on my 2019. Have noticed many times how little the pads engage in braking....regeneration takes the main load. The downside of long lasting pads is failure to clean off rust on the rotors. Just brought my car in for state inspection and was told all 4 rotors needed to be resurfaced for $300+. I looked, and certainly the fronts look bad. My other car has over 100k miles, same driving conditions, never had to do rotors, so I attribute the difference to the lack of regular scrubbing of the rotor by brake pads....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sounds like you need a deserted road and perform a couple emergency stops. Full braking, ABS on! I would guess to would not take much to knock the rust off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's unfortunate, sorry to hear it. But yes, it sounds like something we can all avoid by making sure to use the full brakes every once in a while. I drive in pretty hilly areas occasionally, so I definitely engage my brakes more than I would otherwise thankfully.

·
Administrator
4,777 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting, I didn't think that you could resurface Honda rotors. I was under the impression that they simply got replaced. Also, for $300+, you might as well get new rotors! Perhaps the dealer tried to part a fool from his money :unsure:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting, I didn't think that you could resurface Honda rotors. I was under the impression that they simply got replaced. Also, for $300+, you might as well get new rotors! Perhaps the dealer tried to part a fool from his money :unsure:
One Honda dealer does resurface for 300+, another would replace for 500+

·
Registered
204 Posts
My suggestion would be to brake a little harder or perhaps your car is parked in an area where a sprinkler or other moisture is hitting it too much...I don’t stop aggressively but all 4 of my rotors are shiny smooth metal after 36k. I’d like to see a pic of the rotor surface to see how bad this rust really is. Surface rust only needs a few wipes to come off and that’s accomplished in normal day to day use. It could be that the rotor surface itself is rough, not allowing normal braking to remove rust, which would make the suggestion to resurface the rotors correct.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My suggestion would be to brake a little harder or perhaps your car is parked in an area where a sprinkler or other moisture is hitting it too much...I don’t stop aggressively but all 4 of my rotors are shiny smooth metal after 36k. I’d like to see a pic of the rotor surface to see how bad this rust really is. Surface rust only needs a few wipes to come off and that’s accomplished in normal day to day use. It could be that the rotor surface itself is rough, not allowing normal braking to remove rust, which would make the suggestion to resurface the rotors correct.
It is more than surface rust....can feel some grooves touching the rotor, so I guess it really does need work. In the past I did notice some noise just as the car came to a stop when the real brakes kick in, so there was minor scrubbing of the rotor, but since I avoided hard stops I guess I killed the rotors. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
350 Posts
Do you notice any sounds/squeaking or "bumpy" stops, or is it just cosmetic so far? @andrew28 was hearing noises while braking and only had ~4k miles; dealer covered under warranty resurfacing grooves on rotors and sanding down rust embedded on brake pads.

Some additional suggestions for knocking off rust:
No regen in reverse is that what you mean?

Also I remember one time I somehow was in Neutral when driving (and that was a WEIRD feeling, the car really feels out of control), it was probably down a hill from a full stop. That would work too right?

·
Administrator
4,777 Posts
No regen in reverse is that what you mean?

Also I remember one time I somehow was in Neutral when driving (and that was a WEIRD feeling, the car really feels out of control), it was probably down a hill from a full stop. That would work too right?
Yeah, I think both conditions work to engage the friction brakes without regenerative braking. The gist is to use a scenario that overrides the regenerative braking that normally occurs when the brake pedal is initially depressed (e.g. reverse, emergency stop, etc).

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is more than surface rust....can feel some grooves touching the rotor, so I guess it really does need work. In the past I did notice some noise just as the car came to a stop when the real brakes kick in, so there was minor scrubbing of the rotor, but since I avoided hard stops I guess I killed the rotors. Lesson learned.
I live in the northeast and have had my 2019 Insight since they got released in 2018 and it currently has less than 15K miles on it but my rotors look fine. I use the the paddle shifter as much as possible and don't really brake hard, if I can avoid it. I find it perplexing that your rotors developed that much rust, compared to mine, when you have done more driving (presumably more braking) than I have. Also, it's concerning that your rotors have developed grooves when they were used so infrequently. I wonder if perhaps something is preventing your brake pads from engaging the rotors correctly? :confused:

·
Administrator
4,777 Posts
I live in the northeast and have had my 2019 Insight since they got released in 2018 and it currently has less than 15K miles on it but my rotors look fine. I use the the paddle shifter as much as possible and don't really brake hard, if I can avoid it. I find it perplexing that your rotors developed that much rust, compared to mine, when you have done more driving (presumably more braking) than I have.
Perhaps parking/storage conditions are different. Do you garage your car?
Also, it's concerning that your rotors have developed grooves when they were used so infrequently. I wonder if perhaps something is preventing your brake pads from engaging the rotors correctly? :confused:
The brake pads should be inspected as well. As mentioned when @andrew28 had grooves on rotors at <4k, there was also rust build-up on the brake pads, so they were cut down in addition to the rotor resurfacing.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,939 Posts
One Honda dealer does resurface for 300+, another would replace for 500+
My dealership did the resurfacing under warranty for free.

·
Administrator
4,777 Posts
My dealership did the resurfacing under warranty for free.
Relative mileage may play a part in whether the dealer will cover under warranty (vs wear/tear usage). Your issue was at 4k miles versus 23k miles. Both are technically within the 36k standard warranty period, but with brakes being a regular use item, it may be subjective by dealer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I plan to go ahead and have the work done....there is clearly an issue with rotors' surface - but file a complaint with Honda

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have 23k on my 2019. Have noticed many times how little the pads engage in braking....regeneration takes the main load. The downside of long lasting pads is failure to clean off rust on the rotors. Just brought my car in for state inspection and was told all 4 rotors needed to be resurfaced for $300+. I looked, and certainly the fronts look bad. My other car has over 100k miles, same driving conditions, never had to do rotors, so I attribute the difference to the lack of regular scrubbing of the rotor by brake pads....
If you can work on your car yourself you can order new rotors from rockauto.com. I just looked them up and the rears are $12 a piece and the fronts are $25 a piece. so for $74 plus shipping you could get brand new rotors all the way around

·
Registered
12 Posts
Perhaps parking/storage conditions are different. Do you garage your car?

The brake pads should be inspected as well. As mentioned when @andrew28 had grooves on rotors at <4k, there was also rust build-up on the brake pads, so they were cut down in addition to the rotor resurfacing.
Well, I do garage the car at night but it spends the rest of the day outside (my driveway, work, shopping...etc.). My car has gone through 2 winters with snow, ice, slush, salt, and sand. I would not consider what you are describing as normal/acceptable. Perhaps Honda changed suppliers or they installed a bad batch of rotors on some cars...regardless (as mentioned by others), if I were you, I would insist that they cover the repair under warranty, as a defective part, since the rotors/brakes are not actually worn out. Who knows, maybe Honda will issue a recall like they did with the fuel pumps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I do garage the car at night but it spends the rest of the day outside (my driveway, work, shopping...etc.). My car has gone through 2 winters with snow, ice, slush, salt, and sand. I would not consider what you are describing as normal/acceptable. Perhaps Honda changed suppliers or they installed a bad batch of rotors on some cars...regardless (as mentioned by others), if I were you, I would insist that they cover the repair under warranty, as a defective part, since the rotors/brakes are not actually worn out. Who knows, maybe Honda will issue a recall like they did with the fuel pumps.
I agree it is not normal, especially given I garage it when not in use, and my other car driven 100K+ miles has perfect rotors. Will try complaining and see what happens. While I do some work on my cars, and have replaced pads in the past, I don't want to tackle this job given lack of specialized tools, complications of electronic parking brake, etc.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,939 Posts
I plan to go ahead and have the work done....there is clearly an issue with rotors' surface - but file a complaint with Honda
I would suggest reaching out to Honda corporate before doing the work to see if they'll cover or discount the service cost. Honda does cover repairs as a goodwill gesture sometimes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would suggest reaching out to Honda corporate before doing the work to see if they'll cover or discount the service cost. Honda does cover repairs as a goodwill gesture sometimes.
I did the work....had little time to wait due to pending inspection deadline. Cost only $230, better than original estimate, but I will be filing a complaint with Honda, and will make sure I do more hard stops on a regular basis, which really seems a stupid design.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts