Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building on mention in this related thread that half (24) U.S. states are charging extra hybrid/electric fees, AND registration in some states is higher at renewal than at purchase... was hoping to compare notes by state on total renewal fees for the Gen3 Insight.

So, as you hit the registration RENEWAL point for your Insight, what are you being charged for your state (year / state / fee) ?

·
Super Moderator
1,234 Posts
While I don't recall the exact amount, I paid for four years of registration up front (a norm when buying a new car and not transferring plates) when buying my Insight in August of 2018. New Jersey does not have any surcharges for electric/hybrid vehicles (yet).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Virginia is not applying any surcharge as of yet.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Building on mention in this related thread that half (24) U.S. states are charging extra hybrid/electric fees, AND registration in some states is higher at renewal than at purchase... was hoping to compare notes by state on total renewal fees for the Gen3 Insight.

So, as you hit the registration RENEWAL point for your Insight, what are you being charged for your state (year / state / fee) ?
Mine was cheap in Washington State. The total price ($128.75) includes state park fees and organ and tissue donations as well as other fees.

·
Super Moderator
2,690 Posts
$60 every 2 years + $35 mandatory safety inspection fee every year. So essentially the state takes $65 from each car you own every year for life before excise tax. Yet our roads are flooded with cars because our public transportation system is horrible. ;)

·
Registered
836 Posts
NY is done by weight, so the insight should be ~$50 for 2 years, and yearly inspections at $21. No current excise tax or fee for electric/hybrids.

Not terrible at ~$46/year.

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Okay, well... brace yourself for this one (and you'll see that sticker shock was the reason I started this thread for sanity check and comparison).

My annual registration fee is $330.25, including $257 in taxes (!!) for the Insight alone.

It makes me wanna walk everywhere instead of drive. OR drive random far places just to get my money's worth on taxes.

P.S. - My non-hybrid bill last year was 'only' <$100.

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
2,690 Posts
Okay, well... brace yourself for this one (and you'll see that sticker shock was the reason I started this thread for sanity check and comparison).

My annual registration fee is $330.25, including $257 in taxes (!!) for the Insight alone.

It makes me wanna walk everywhere instead of drive. OR drive random far places just to get my money's worth on taxes.

I got charged $26.56 motor excise tax for owning the Insight only 3 days in 2018. This year my motor excise tax is $541.25. So $541.25(excise tax)+$26.56(excise tax)+$30 registration for 1 year+$35 annual safety/emission inspection = $632.81 for 1st year and probably around the same this year. I paid $2005 in sales tax on the car before I even drove it off the lot. The Insight helps out with the gas bill at least unlike my previous cars. :smile_big:

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got charged $26.56 motor excise tax for owning the Insight only 3 days in 2018. This year my motor excise tax is $541.25. So $541.25(excise tax)+$26.56(excise tax)+$30 registration for 1 year+$35 annual safety/emission inspection = $632.81 for 1st year and probably around the same this year. I paid $2005 in sales tax on the car before I even drove it off the lot. The Insight helps out with the gas bill at least unlike my previous cars. :smile_big:
Umm, wow - $600 is a lot for an annual registration fee, and MA hasn't been hit by the hybrid/electric tax yet. Guess I should feel grateful about 'only' paying $300 (even if it's 3x last year's rate).

·
Super Moderator
2,690 Posts
Umm, wow - $600 is a lot for an annual registration fee, and MA hasn't been hit by the hybrid/electric tax yet. Guess I should feel grateful about 'only' paying $300 (even if it's 3x last year's rate).
I paid even more when I got the 17 Fusion and 14 CRV. I don't even want to know how much people pay that own luxury brand cars. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I paid even more when I got the 17 Fusion and 14 CRV. I don't even want to know how much people pay that own luxury brand cars. :eek:
Not sure if this is how it works everywhere, but the registration tax is proportional to car value... so new cars get taxed more than older cars. Lower taxes as the car ages/depreciates are another reason I think it makes sense to buy/keep cars as long as possible.

·
Registered
836 Posts

You are in California, if I remember correctly?

Also wanted to state, that my number for NY is completely different than if someone actually lived in the NYC area. I didn't calculate their fees, which are higher.

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are in California, if I remember correctly?

Also wanted to state, that my number for NY is completely different than if someone actually lived in the NYC area. I didn't calculate their fees, which are higher.
I've never actually stated for privacy reasons ;) - but I'm on the left coast where the buffalo roam and the electric fees range from $100 to $150 by state.

·
Super Moderator
2,690 Posts
Not sure if this is how it works everywhere, but the registration tax is proportional to car value... so new cars get taxed more than older cars. Lower taxes as the car ages/depreciates are another reason I think it makes sense to buy/keep cars as long as possible.
I think it's $25 in excise tax for every $1000 the state values(drops as car depreciates) your car in Boston(not sure for other cities in MA).

·
Registered
248 Posts
I paid $532 for registration/ownership taxes for my Insight LX in Colorado (Denver area). It will go down next year--lower taxes as the car depreciates, as Andrew28 said above.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts