Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
Another observation that I made was that at the fill point, it claimed ~500 miles +/- 10miles, as I drove, and added mileage to range it was showing closer to 530 miles until ~100 miles left, than the range started dropping faster than the miles I was traveling, even though I was still on the highway, at about the same speed I had been for the majority of the drive.
Was the road/terrain maybe on an incline (even slight?), which could register as lower fuel and range? The readings and calculations might get more sensitive as the gas level drops.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Was the road/terrain maybe on an incline (even slight?), which could register as lower fuel and range? The readings and calculations might get more sensitive as the gas level drops.
Towards the end of the first tank, I was between DC and Richmond, which is relatively flat, (definitely more so than my local terrain).

And I wrote that poorly. The range didn't increase. If I took the miles I had driven, and added it to the range remaining, it worked out somewhere in the neighborhood of 530 miles.

·
Registered
302 Posts
.....The readings and calculations might get more sensitive as the gas level drops.
.....and more accurate.

I don't remember anything in the gen3 Owners Manual on all this. But prior cars' Manual said something about recalculations occurring as the range got closer to zero, thus using updated, more accurate average mpg, from last fill up to calculate remaining Range.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I also read my notes too quick, the distances I listed were one line off, so the first tank was the 477.3 miles, with ~50 miles remaining.

·
Registered
836 Posts
.....and more accurate.

I don't remember anything in the gen3 Owners Manual on all this. But prior cars' Manual said something about recalculations occurring as the range got closer to zero, thus using updated, more accurate average mpg, from last fill up to calculate remaining Range.
What I found weird was that the "range estimate" never adjusts (upwards) during the course of a drive to reflect the actual fuel consumption. And the car over-estimates it's range for nearly 3/4 of the gas tank, then dumps at around 1/4 tank above 0 range.

I was doing long drives (100-150 miles between stops), minimal stops, consistent speed, and the car didn't seem able to accurately predict range.

When I filled up, I had ~500 mile range on the screen. Within 50 miles if I added the miles I had driven to remaining range it would be ~530, all of the way until I got down to ~100 miles range remaining. Then it would start moving very quickly, by comparison. If you took the fuel consumption number ~46-53 mpg, and multiplied by 9, it was never close to what the range was displaying.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,355 Posts
I've drawn a few tanks down to/below zero range. I've seen remaining range numbers change (for the better) when I drop below 50 miles of range most times. Above 50-100 miles of range, the remaining number drops just about in correlation with miles driven. It's only the last 100 miles where there are swings.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
What I found weird was that the "range estimate" never adjusts (upwards) during the course of a drive to reflect the actual fuel consumption.
I've found this too. The estimated range never increases, but does stay fixed or 'stops decreasing' as mpg increases during a tank or drive. Manually adding the driven miles to remaining range gives a higher total, but the estimated range never 'admits' to or reports a higher number.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've found this too. The estimated range never increases, but does stay fixed or 'stops decreasing' as mpg increases during a tank or drive. Manually adding the driven miles to remaining range gives a higher total, but the estimated range never 'admits' to or reports a higher number.
Exactly, and oddly enough the initial range estimate seems much more accurate as you get towards the end of the tank, unless you truly are getting better gas mileage than the previous tank.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've drawn a few tanks down to/below zero range. I've seen remaining range numbers change (for the better) when I drop below 50 miles of range most times. Above 50-100 miles of range, the remaining number drops just about in correlation with miles driven. It's only the last 100 miles where there are swings.
I agree, below 100 miles, it does seem accurate. Above that though, miles driven doesn't seem to correlate with the range decreasing, unless the Insight is being optimistic, or "learns" your particular pattern of driving. Seeing as 500 miles highway in a row is very "unlike" my normal pattern. I literally watched the range over nearly half an hour only move 5-10 miles towards the top of the tank, while I had driven 30-35 miles.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree, below 100 miles, it does seem accurate. Above that though, miles driven doesn't seem to correlate with the range decreasing, unless the Insight is being optimistic, or "learns" your particular pattern of driving. Seeing as 500 miles highway in a row is very "unlike" my normal pattern. I literally watched the range over nearly half an hour only move 5-10 miles towards the top of the tank, while I had driven 30-35 miles.
It appears, to me, that the car is always "learning" as you stated. Since cooler temperatures hit here in Virginia a couple weeks ago, I have noticed about a 5 mpg increase in what is showing up on the DII for my current individual trips, but my projected TOTAL MILES for the CURRENT TANK is still indicating about the same as it has for the past 3 months. My guess is that once cooler temps for the fall settle in my TOTAL MILES per tank would eventually show an increase.

·
Registered
836 Posts
1.6 gallons remain in tank when the low fuel light appears (attached). I did a quick manual search and didn't see mention of range/0 miles triggering the low fuel indicator... but I thought the two were linked.

I think the timing of the low fuel light can vary with hills/slopes, as the meter 'perceives' different levels. On older Hondas, I'd notice higher fuel level heading uphill and lower fuel level facing downhill; the car could temporarily display "low fuel" if on a declining road, and because of this, I think there can be variability on when the "low fuel" indicator appears on the dash. With this variability in mind, I refuel when I'm down to 2 gas bars left.
Finally got a low fuel warning. 41 miles remaining on dash, got fuel the next day with ~20 miles remaining. 8.4 gallon fill up.

I know I'm annoying about correcting the manual, but it's wrong. I've gone past zero (25-30 miles) and only once have I put 9 gallons in the tank.

Not trying to nitpick, but the manual states the low fuel warning comes on at 1.6 gallons fuel remaining. That just doesn't correlate to actual real life numbers, or observed situations. I've seen the low fuel light 3 or 4 times, always with remaining miles on range, and would bet that on average, those fill ups were 8.5 gallons.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Honda is probably going "overboard" with caution in an attempt to make sure the car does not run out of gas without giving ample warning of low fuel conditions. That way one cannot say they weren't warned.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Honda is probably going "overboard" with caution in an attempt to make sure the car does not run out of gas without giving ample warning of low fuel conditions. That way one cannot say they weren't warned.
While I appreciate the "caution" if intentional, they shouldn't have specified an amount of fuel remaining in the manual when the light illuminates. That's just another example of a desk engineer.

I've seen it so many times when building things from a desk engineers schematics, always fun installing a control panel, and then having to "fix" their oversight so it actually does what it's supposed to do in the real world.

·
Registered
145 Posts
While I appreciate the "caution" if intentional, they shouldn't have specified an amount of fuel remaining in the manual when the light illuminates. That's just another example of a desk engineer.

I've seen it so many times when building things from a desk engineers schematics, always fun installing a control panel, and then having to "fix" their oversight so it actually does what it's supposed to do in the real world.
I agree with you! However, in today's world, with lots of "sue happy" people, business are taking extra caution to essentially say "you have been notified/warned". Sadly, we are living in a world, now, where one has to assume that people are not smart enough to think for themselves and okay to hold someone else accountable for mistakes we make. That began years ago with McDonald's coffee cup warning. Years ago, I was told by a salesperson at Lowes, that they decided it was in their best interest to give a person that did not speak english very well a new chainsaw because the person did not read the instructions and he failed to add oil in the gas, thereby burning up the engine. The customer contended that even though he did not ask for verbal instructions at the store before purchasing the chainsaw, he should have been told how to properly gas it up Sad!!!

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
Finally got a low fuel warning. 41 miles remaining on dash, got fuel the next day with ~20 miles remaining. 8.4 gallon fill up.
[...]
Not trying to nitpick, but the manual states the low fuel warning comes on at 1.6 gallons fuel remaining. That just doesn't correlate to actual real life numbers, or observed situations. I've seen the low fuel light 3 or 4 times, always with remaining miles on range, and would bet that on average, those fill ups were 8.5 gallons.
Good to know from your examples that the variation is ~0.5 gallons (2.1 gal left) extra remaining, versus 1.6 gallons left.

EX#1 8.4 gal fill-up = 2.2 gal left --> +0.6 gal understated
EX#2 8.5 gal fill-up = 2.1 gal left --> +0.5 gal understated

·
Registered
302 Posts
Finally got a low fuel warning. 41 miles remaining on dash, got fuel the next day with ~20 miles remaining. 8.4 gallon fill up. .....but the manual states the low fuel warning comes on at 1.6 gallons fuel remaining. That just doesn't correlate to actual real life numbers, or observed situations. I've seen the low fuel light 3 or 4 times, always with remaining miles on range, and would bet that on average, those fill ups were 8.5 gallons.
I just filled up yesterday. The low fuel warning came on with a 53 miles remaining on the dash. I pulled into the gas station with 38 miles remaining on the dash. 8.421 gal.needed for fill, to the automatic turn-off

·
Registered
2 Posts
Range Display

Is it normal for the Range display to increase over time after a refuel? I don't "top off" but have been noticing that the range has been slowly increasing. Day 1 and the first month or two after it would read 365ish after a refuel. Now it reads 389 after a refuel... consistently.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
Is it normal for the Range display to increase over time after a refuel? I don't "top off" but have been noticing that the range has been slowly increasing. Day 1 and the first month or two after it would read 365ish after a refuel. Now it reads 389 after a refuel... consistently.
Welcome to the forum. Range is calculated from the car's "current fuel economy" reading - see attached. As your mpg increases or decreases, the car's computer will estimate a different range for the same amount of full-tank fuel.

Assuming you're a 'new' Insight owner, the fuel economy is changing/adjusting rapidly as you drive the car more (vs sitting with engine on and idle miles at dealer lot).

I've seen my total range (remaining range + driven miles) increase during drives as my mpg increases. It's a good thing, and indicates that your driving (and/or the conditions) are netting better fuel efficiency. There are some other posts/comments earlier in this thread that may also be helpful reading. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I figured it was all being calculated real time, it's just that I haven't really noticed any difference in my driving conditions or "style" as this is primarily my commuting vehicle. It's all been relatively consistent since day one. Even the weather over at least the last 6 weeks has been virtually the same. Perhaps there have been some unnoticeable changes that translated into a larger economy reading that I'm just not realizing. I'll just go with it 🙂

61 - 80 of 116 Posts