Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,807 Posts
Your range should continue to improve until Winter hits. :p My range was around low 400s when I got the car. Now I'm regularly around the mid 500s and still going up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, any sense yet of whether the dash is telling the truth about how much gas is left in the tank and how many miles you have left before empty?

I've only filled my tank once, when the onscreen reminder showed up saying I had <40 miles left. Only 1 of 10 bars was visible in the gas indicator on the right. But when I filled up, it came to just 8.3 gallons. Honda advertises it as a 10.6 gallon tank.

Wondering if anyone has tested this. I will certainly push it a little, but I don't know where to start.
Same thing has happened to me with my Insight 2019, I think it prevents for getting it to low but I have gone a very long way with just one light on.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I figured it was all being calculated real time, it's just that I haven't really noticed any difference in my driving conditions or "style" as this is primarily my commuting vehicle. It's all been relatively consistent since day one. Even the weather over at least the last 6 weeks has been virtually the same. Perhaps there have been some unnoticeable changes that translated into a larger economy reading that I'm just not realizing. I'll just go with it 🙂
How many miles were on the car when it delivered to you, and how many miles do you have on the car now? My guess is that your fuel economy is better than while the car was at the dealer and/or being test-driven.

Depending on how your trip meter(s) are set up, you may be able to see the history of fuel efficiency. The meters are set at "manually reset" by default, but can be changed to reset "when refueled" or "when ignition off." I use Trip A to track per-tank mpg, and Trip B to track 'lifetime' mpg (i.e. never reset). You can look at the infotainment screen for the distance/mpg history for the last 3-4 trip meter records.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I routinely go 50+ miles past zero. Just this morning I put 10.15 gallons in the tank. I haven't had any problems yet.

There's a setting somewhere that resets Trip A when the vehicle is fueled. I usually look for a gas station when Trip A is 10x my average Trip A MPG. Simple. This still leaves over 20 miles to find a gas station.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Is Cold weather blend of gas less miles? In the warmer weather when I fill up my gas tank I usually check the "Range to empty" gas gauge. Its usually at 430-450 miles..

but recently the last 3 fill up its been onlyn340-360 miles range??

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
Is Cold weather blend of gas less miles? In the warmer weather when I fill up my gas tank I usually check the "Range to empty" gas gauge. Its usually at 430-450 miles.. but recently the last 3 fill up its been only 340-360 miles range??
"Current fuel economy" is used by the car to calculate remaining range. The range will go up/down depending on what fuel economy the car is getting, including the natural decrease in mpg that hybrids experience in cold weather.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,807 Posts
Is Cold weather blend of gas less miles? In the warmer weather when I fill up my gas tank I usually check the "Range to empty" gas gauge. Its usually at 430-450 miles..

but recently the last 3 fill up its been onlyn340-360 miles range??
In the summer I was getting 500-550 miles but it's currently 460-480 miles. It goes by what you're currently getting for mpgs.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
In the summer I was getting 500-550 miles but it's currently 460-480 miles. It goes by what you're currently getting for mpgs.
Yes, the concept is similar to what's mentioned in the Owners Manual and that @jamed91 mentioned in post #80. Looking at what the current/average fuel economy mpg lets you (and the car) estimate what range remains.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm still puzzled at the range calculation. How can an oil change affect my fuel economy this bad!? I want 500 miles on a full tank back lol!

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
I'm still puzzled at the range calculation. When I first purchased the car was was able to get the advertised mileage of 55/49 usually giving me around 480-510 mpg. Nothing has changed majorly besides the oil changes and tire rotations and now I'm averaging 40mpg on the street and mid 30's on the highway.
The range is just that... a calculated projection based on latest/recent fuel economy. Actual range can end up different from that, and working on factors to regain/improve MPG will help the calculation over time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Had my first fuel up since taking ownership of my Insight, 24 days and 768kms ago. My range showed 106km to empty, but I only needed 29 liters to fill my tank ($30 CAD, how can you not love this car???). Meaning I had 11 liters left, and at the 4.1L/100km my average fuel consumption was showing, the DTE calculation seems off. Will it take a few tanks for my range to get more accurate? I took ownership of the car with 200kms so it likely had poor tracking on the mpgs due to test drives and dealer demo drives.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,355 Posts
Had my first fuel up since taking ownership of my Insight, 24 days and 768kms ago. My range showed 106km to empty, but I only needed 29 liters to fill my tank ($30 CAD, how can you not love this car???). Meaning I had 11 liters left, and at the 4.1L/100km my average fuel consumption was showing, the DTE calculation seems off. Will it take a few tanks for my range to get more accurate? I took ownership of the car with 200kms so it likely had poor tracking on the mpgs due to test drives and dealer demo drives.
I believe my Insight was delivered with less than a full tank. First tank MPG and range were horrid, so I discounted it in my calculations. You now have a good starting point after your first fuel-up. Go from there and you should be more truthful numbers moving forward. To your point, you don't know how much idling and how many demo drives were done before you took delivery.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
A few conversions first to help with mental math and comparisons: :)
  • Your Displayed Range: 106 km left = 66 mi left
  • Your Refueling Cost: $30 CAD = $22 USD
  • Your Fuel Up Volume: 29 L = 7.6 gal
  • Your Remaining Fuel: 11 L = 2.9 gal
  • Your Avg Fuel Economy: 4.1 L/100 km = 57.4 mpg
The calculation to 'zero' Remaining Range (or DTE = Distance to Empty) is based on leaving 6.0 L (1.59 gal) reserve in the tank. However, it's a calculation that's based on your 'current fuel economy' multiplied by the zero point of 6.0 L (1.59 gal).

So far, you've had some broad fuel economy ranging from 81 mpg and some drives less than that (since average ended up being 57.4 mpg)... and the car's "range calculation" was likely skewed by this variability.

Once 'current fuel economy' is consistent across more of your drives, the Remaining Range will get more 'accurate.' I think this is more likely if you drive/refuel frequently (i.e. external factors like ambient temperature or gas quality changes won't impact fuel economy) and take the same routes (i.e. terrain and speed changes aren't a factor).

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,355 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I'm all for the metric system - except when calculating fuel economy! My head hurts doing mental math. I did get that the cost was $2.89(Eagle-money)/gallon.

We can all be on our "preferred" same page if we all used fuelly.com for mileage tracking. You can pick your preferred unit of measurement.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My Range indicator is stuck at "354" miles left ...after driving 1hr (70miles)

...fuel bar doesn't move either.

Is there a way to reset everything?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,355 Posts
Keep driving. It will move. The fuel level won't decrease until you go through a gallon of fuel. If you had excess fuel in the filler neck when you filled up, it's still got to get through that as well. As for the range, I am at a loss. You may be driving more efficiently, and the range is updating. It's just odd it would stay at the same mumber. Can you verify your MPG meter(s) update properly?

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
...fuel bar doesn't move either.
As for the range, I am at a loss. You may be driving more efficiently, and the range is updating. It's just odd it would stay at the same mumber. Can you verify your MPG meter(s) update properly?
It's been a while (likely because my driving is now more consistent), but early in ownership, I've had my 'remaining range' stay constant (or even increase) when my "average fuel efficiency" increased significantly during a drive. I refer to it as a 'groundhog day' event for mpg.

The remaining range is 'just' a calculation/projection based on remaining fuel and the car's current fuel economy reading. Something as simple as being on an incline would affect the level reading and resulting range calculation on my older Honda. Given the issues you've recently had with the fuel system, I wouldn't be surprised if your fuel level indicator might be off calibration (air bubble?).

There's no 'reset' button for the fuel level sensor; you could try resetting the fuel economy calculator(s) but not sure if that will actually work (versus mpg memory stored elsewhere?). I'd definitely recommend not resetting your maintenance minder system again, as it should be unrelated to this remaining range observation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The remaining range figure and gas tank capacity indicator in my Insight are basically useless for me.

I drive 400 miles one-way to visit family every couple of months, and my remaining range and gas tank capacity go down to zero at around 400 miles. Twice, I went 50 miles past empty and refilled, and I only had to put 9.5 and 9.6 gallons, meaning there was an additional ~1 gallons of wiggle room left both times

While I understand the importance of helping people avoid waiting until the last minute to fill their gas tank, it's quite the annoyance because the exact length of road trip that I go on every couple of months is in that grey zone where the Insight makes me worried I'll run out of gas but I'm not actually close to running out of gas.

At this point, I basically just tell myself that 400 miles is my comfort zone for being guaranteed to make it, and 450 should be okay as long as I'm mindful about my driving.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
I drive 400 miles one-way to visit family every couple of months, and my remaining range and gas tank capacity go down to zero at around 400 miles. Twice, I went 50 miles past empty and refilled, and I only had to put 9.5 and 9.6 gallons, meaning there was an additional ~1 gallons of wiggle room left both times
There is still ~1.6 gallons of gas in the tank, when the 'zero' point shows on the fuel meter and when the alert appears on the DII. There are a few mentions of this in the posts above, and it sounds like your experience has matched this. You can technically continue to drive past the zero point, and some pros/cons are discussed in a separate 'below the slash' thread.

81 - 100 of 116 Posts