Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
324 Posts
There is still ~1.6 gallons of gas in the tank, when the 'zero' point shows on the fuel meter and when the alert appears on the DII. There are a few mentions of this in the posts above, and it sounds like your experience has matched this. You can technically continue to drive past the zero point, and some pros/cons are discussed in a separate 'below the slash' thread.
View attachment 5763
How many bars is zero on the fuel meter, zero or one? And this is different than when the remaining range hits 0 right? How much gas is left when that happens?

·
Administrator
4,510 Posts
How many bars is zero on the fuel meter, zero or one? And this is different than when the remaining range hits 0 right? How much gas is left when that happens?
Zero on the fuel meter translates to the car estimating ~1.59 gallons left in tank, and when remaining range is zero, and when low fuel indicator light comes on (i.e. all concurrent). The 'remaining range' is kind of a countdown before these indicators appear.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Zero on the fuel meter translates to the car estimating ~1.59 gallons left in tank, and when remaining range is zero, and when low fuel indicator light comes on (i.e. all concurrent). The 'remaining range' is kind of a countdown before these indicators appear.
Oh really. I could have sworn the light comes up at around 40 mi range left or so, but that must be the "find a gas station" message then.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,358 Posts
When your low-fuel light comes on, you have ~2 gallons of fuel left. For me, based on my driving habits, that's a little over 120 miles. I've pushed past zero (~50 miles) many times. The most I've ever put in my tank at once was 9.1 gallons.

[edited to change zero miles to low-fuel light - my apologies]

Reactions: pasei

·
Registered
45 Posts
Exactly what Insightfully said!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I hate to say but I disagree with all of you :LOL:

Happened last night:

"Find gas now" came up at 37 mi of range left.
One bar + low fuel indicator came up at 34 mi of range left.

So... what's happening?

·
Administrator
4,510 Posts
"Find gas now" came up at 37 mi of range left.
One bar + low fuel indicator came up at 34 mi of range left.
Did you just complete (or in middle of) a drive that is different from the norm for rest of tank - e.g. highway driving reduced 'current mpg' and projected range, or being on a hill/incline when reading came up?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Did you just complete (or in middle of) a drive that is different from the norm for rest of tank - e.g. highway driving reduced 'current mpg' and projected range, or being on a hill/incline when reading came up?
I was on the highway at high speed. Previous drives on that tank were a mixed bag. Highway was reasonably hilly but nothing crazy. But this is consistent with what I had noticed since I got the car.

I refueled at 12 miles of range left and there was still one bar left. I put 9.0 gal of gas (to 1st "click" of handle). I suppose it means there would still be 1.6gal left at 0 mile? Maybe it's a Touring thing?

·
Administrator
4,510 Posts
I was on the highway at high speed. Previous drives on that tank were a mixed bag. Highway was reasonably hilly but nothing crazy. But this is consistent with what I had noticed since I got the car.
Interesting that both applied somewhat... highway speed and incline were just guesses that came to mind on what could 'temporarily' impact the Current Fuel Economy calculation and resulting range calculation. Another guess (?) is that the calculation gets more 'conservative' as fuel level decreases and/or especially when Current Fuel Economy differs 'too much' from the tank history so far.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Interesting that both applied somewhat... highway speed and incline were just guesses that came to mind on what could 'temporarily' impact the Current Fuel Economy calculation and resulting range calculation. Another guess (?) is that the calculation gets more 'conservative' as fuel level decreases and/or especially when Current Fuel Economy differs 'too much' from the tank history so far.
It was already happening when I was "normally" commuting :rolleyes: I'll check the level with the OBDII reader next time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a question of concern/curiosity regarding my 2019 Hybrid Insight Touring and the Infosystem screen in "Range". The last couple of times after filling up my car, I have noticed the "range" indicator on the screen has dropped which I believe to be significant. Prior to my last few fill ups on the tank. The "range" indicator use to show like 389...379 miles to fill up. Currently, the indicator has dropped down to 349...339. Is anyone familiar with why the indicator has dropped the way it has and remember this shows after filling my gas tank to full. Now, I'm in Northern CA and the weather has been cooler like 35 to 60 degree range, so nothing significant, but I don't think that would cause the drop.

Anyways, if someone could share their knowledge and educate me I would appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
When our fuel pump was replaced, they reset the pump calibration. My 2019 Insight showed about 550 miles of range. Within about two tanks, it learned my driving habits and now shows about 425 miles of range after a fill up. Hope this helped, it seems to learn your habits.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You said the car learned your driving habits? So, is the habit meaning how often you were filling up your car more or less. Basically, every 425 miles you were filling your tank.

·
Administrator
4,510 Posts
When our fuel pump was replaced, they reset the pump calibration. My 2019 Insight showed about 550 miles of range. Within about two tanks, it learned my driving habits and now shows about 425 miles of range after a fill up. Hope this helped, it seems to learn your habits.
It's unfortunate that this reset is being done on some cars after fuel pump recall. I found everything in tact and unchanged on my display, before and after my fuel pump was replaced.
You said the car learned your driving habits? So, is the habit meaning how often you were filling up your car more or less. Basically, every 425 miles you were filling your tank.
Remaining range is calculation the car does using what it measures as your "current fuel economy." As your mpg results change with each drive, the car will "learn" and build it's data on what your typical mpg is, and will use that to project remaining range given the fuel level. Here's how it reads from OM19 pg 136:

With your display potentially being reset after fuel pump recall, the car is "re-learning" your fuel economy results for this calculation... and unfortunately, this re-learning is happening in cold weather, low-mpg conditions for a hybrid. Your range estimate dropped because it's using this latest (lower than prior average) fuel economy; the system "lost" the benefit of higher average mpg data history which included warm weather months... but it will re-learn and/or add it to average when warmer weather and better mpg return.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't find the Range number to be particularly useful, because the number changes, allot until the gas gauge gets down to one or two bars. Secondly I usually get gas way after the low fuel warning light comes on and when the Range gets down to zero. Then I get a fill up and there is always around a gallon left in the tank (based on gas tank capacity in the specification section of the owners manual). That remaining gallon or so, is enough for me to drive a min. of 50 miles. So no worries.!

101 - 116 of 116 Posts