Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
I purchased my 2021 on 1/14/21 and i noticed it said 403 on the range screen, dealer pointed this out to me but the 2 fill ups since one said 385 at fill up and then 337 on second fill up. Is this number supposed to change? How do I get 48 miles combined per gallon as I’m just not seeing it deliver on this unless I’m misinterpreting what all of this means. Can someone explain in simple language??
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your 2021 Insight. Which trim level do you own? The remaining range is an calculation estimate based on your driving (called "current fuel economy") and gas level (i.e. remaining fuel). Because of this, the range number will change depending on how 'efficiently' the car is driven.

Of note is that cold weather can cause up to 30% loss in fuel economy in hybrids (vs 15% in conventional cars)... so some of the efficiency loss could be due to weather that is colder now than when the car was purchased.

Highway speeds also cause an efficiency loss for the Insight, as the gas engine runs more to power the drive wheels and results in lower mpg. Highways speeds above 65 mph will reduce fuel economy for this reason.

Some examples and discussion that may help to optimize fuel economy (and increase remaining range) are as follows:

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,771 Posts
How far will 2020 insight go on a full tank of gas??

I purchased my 2021 on 1/14/21 and i noticed it said 403 on the range screen, dealer pointed this out to me but the 2 fill ups since one said 385 at fill up and then 337 on second fill up. Is this number supposed to change? How do I get 48 miles combined per gallon as I’m just not seeing it deliver on this unless I’m misinterpreting what all of this means. Can someone explain in simple language??
There are a TON of variables to consider.

1. If you have a Touring trim, mileage will be a little less than the LX/EX trims.
2. Are you tires properly inflated and checked regularly?
3. Do you live in a cold climate? Use of cabin heat and cold outside temps have a huge effect.
4. Do you have any extra weight in the car (sand bags, golf clubs, cinder blocks, anvils, bodies in the trunk)?
5. How do you drive and in what drive mode are you primarily in? Sport mode favors performance over gas-sipping. ECO flattens the input curve.
6. What type of roads to do drive? Highway speeds are a killer - particularly over 65MPH. Slow country roads with rolling hills the the best.

Also, when filling up, do not try to top off after the pump clicks. You can damage the evap system if you try to push in too much fuel.

·
Registered
420 Posts
How far will 2020 insight go on a full tank of gas??

The Range figure is just an estimate based on average mpg from last fill up. So it should change from day to day as you get different mpg from different driving conditions and driving moods of the day. For me the Range figure only becomes meaningful (for finding a gas station) as I get down to one or two bars remaining on the fuel gauge.

My focus is directly on mpg. I have "Trip A" set to show me miles and avg. mpg from last fill up. I reset "Trip B" and the end of each days driving, so it can tell me my miles driven for the day and it avg. mpg.

To your initial question, I'd say: 8.4 gals. (to fill the tank) X 48 avg. mpg = 403.2 miles

·
Registered
420 Posts
To get more complex, and play with the numbers: 8.4 gals. is around what it takes to fill up with Range = 0
So:
8.4 gals. X 63.1 avg. mpg = 530 miles
8.4 gals. X 68.3 avg. mpg = 573 miles. My best ever was 637 miles with 8.782 gals. and 72.54 avg mpg

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
To get more complex, and play with the numbers: 8.4 gals. is around what it takes to fill up with Range = 0
So:
8.4 gals. X 63.1 avg. mpg = 530 miles
8.4 gals. X 68.3 avg. mpg = 573 miles. My best ever was 637 miles with 8.782 gals. and 72.54 avg mpg
Yes - the total gas tank capacity is 10.6 gallons, and 1.59 gallons are left in the tank when the "low fuel" indicator appears (OM19 pg 90) which should also be at/around 0 range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, any sense yet of whether the dash is telling the truth about how much gas is left in the tank and how many miles you have left before empty?

I've only filled my tank once, when the onscreen reminder showed up saying I had <40 miles left. Only 1 of 10 bars was visible in the gas indicator on the right. But when I filled up, it came to just 8.3 gallons. Honda advertises it as a 10.6 gallon tank.

Wondering if anyone has tested this. I will certainly push it a little, but I don't know where to start.
I drive a lot. I fill up around 8 to 9 gallons when the gas tank light comes on and it shows about 27 miles range left. This car does not have a 10.6 gallon gas tank capacity. So what is the next step. Class Action for false advertising?

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
How do we know for sure that 1.59 gallons are left? How can I test this?
I guess you could drive until the car stops running, refill and check the total fill volume...

But there's equipment risk, it defeats Honda's intentional 'reserve' to keep level above the fuel pump, and it may still not be totally accurate (i.e. some level left in tank, variability in gas pump refilling, etc)

You could also keep driving past the zero point, and estimate additional driving distance/range before full runout by multiplying your average mpg fuel economy by 1.59 gallons.

Overall, that you refill ~9 gallons when the low gas alert comes on seems consistent with ~1.6 gallons left in tank at the zero point, and 10.6 gallons total capacity.

·
Registered
420 Posts
.....You could also keep driving past the zero point, and estimate additional driving distance/range before full runout by multiplying your average mpg fuel economy by 1.59 gallons.
I gave the above a try, before filling up yesterday. My wife wrote down the odometer when Range = 0, and the last remaining bar on the fuel gauge went dark. Drove an additional 6 miles to the gas station. It was an exciting drive with Range remaining at zero and low fuel lights burning brightly in my mind along with the 1.6 gal figure above. Filled up with an additional bit of gas past the automatic turn off to get to the even dollar. Total gasoline pumped was 9.199 gal. 654 total miles = 71.09 mpg.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,771 Posts
I gave the above a try, before filling up yesterday. My wife wrote down the odometer when Range = 0, and the last remaining bar on the fuel gauge went dark. Drove an additional 6 miles to the gas station. It was an exciting drive with Range remaining at zero and low fuel lights burning brightly in my mind along with the 1.6 gal figure above. Filled up with an additional bit of gas past the automatic turn off to get to the even dollar. Total gasoline pumped was 9.199 gal. 654 total miles = 71.09 mpg.
@Moviemike - You are the one person I truly believe can pull off a 700 mile tank. I had a few 70+ mpg tanks, but my location near the end wasn't in line with making it to a gas station before running out. I have only seen one Gen3 Honda Insight make it past 700 miles, but that fellow did a crazy amount of fuel packing past the pump click which I would never do. If the indicator numbers jive, I'll keep going. Anything over 60MPG on the tank and I'll push 600 miles easily.

·
Registered
420 Posts
@Moviemike - You are the one person I truly believe can pull off a 700 mile tank. I had a few 70+ mpg tanks, but my location near the end wasn't in line with making it to a gas station before running out. I have only seen one Gen3 Honda Insight make it past 700 miles, but that fellow did a crazy amount of fuel packing past the pump click which I would never do. If the indicator numbers jive, I'll keep going. Anything over 60MPG on the tank and I'll push 600 miles easily.
700 miles !!! Wow that sounds really exciting :) So exciting that I'm not sure I want to do it. But maybe I already did?

In the last tankful I went 654 miles at 71 mpg. So that is 700 - 654 = 46 miles to go to get to 700. To go the additional 46 miles I'll need 46 miles / 71 mpg = 0.6478 gal.additional. However the gas tank had 10.6 - 9.2 = 1.4 gal. remaining. 1.4 gal. - 0.65 gal. = 0.75 gal remaining at 700 miles. So doable !!!

As it was, going 6 miles below Range = 0 was enough excitement for one day.

BTW I'm getting flash backs to the two times I ran out of gas. Had to hitch hike to a gas station buy a gas can, gas, and get back to the car, and etc. etc. Not sure the record is worth the risk of doing all that again. Besides are gas cans available for purchase at your average gas station these days? Modern fuel systems may require all kinds of hassles I don't know about once you run otta gas.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts