Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being in New England, I've been remote starting my car somewhat regularly. And am surprised to find that the HV battery does not get charged during this engine idle time, which seems like a huge waste. The engine is just running to provide cabin heat. Why waste the rotational energy?
Is there a safety reason for not charging the HV battery when remote starting the car?
As soon as I get in and start the car, the cabin air fans will slow down (as they're set to Auto), and then the HV battery starts charging while the engine continues to idle.

·
Super Moderator
4,074 Posts
How long do you run remote start? Once you start the car yourself, do you use the same conditions that remote start applie (i.e. front defroster, rear defogger/mirror heaters, seat heaters)?

Wondering if there's more energy drain from the 'extra' heating systems during remote start versus normal start/operation. If so, it may consume power rather than build/store it in HV battery.

If you start the car yourself (without/before using remote start), do you notice anything different about HV battery charging? I don't use remote start, but in cold weather when I manually start and idle for a while, the HV battery gradually builds.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Also have to consider that when remote starting, the battery is cold, cold batteries don't charge well at all.

Also remote start conditions probably prioritize using the electrical heating unit to get the cabin warm faster than the traditional coolant based heating method.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've had cases where it does charge it, several bars, and others where it doesn't charge it. Probably depends on many factors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts