Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Super Moderator
As stupid as this sounds hold the fob to the side of your head and it will give you more range. Just don't let anyone see you do it or you'll be mocked. 馃お
Ummm... does this work best if one has a metal plate in the skull, to reflect the fob's signal? :grin:

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
As stupid as this sounds hold the fob to the side of your head and it will give you more range. Just don't let anyone see you do it or you'll be mocked. 馃お
Ummm... does this work best if one has a metal plate in the skull, to reflect the fob's signal? [img= class=inlineimg]https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/images/NO_BRAND/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/img]
It actually worked very well on the remote start on my last car. It's a trick I was shown by someone at work and as weird as it sounds it really increased my range quite a bit. I haven't tried it on the insight since I use the remote start on my cell phone app instead of the fob.

Super Moderator
It actually worked very well on the remote start on my last car. It's a trick I was shown by someone at work and as weird as it sounds it really increased my range quite a bit. I haven't tried it on the insight since I use the remote start on my cell phone app instead of the fob.
Remote Car Key
Suppose your remote car door opener does not have the range to reach your car across the parking lot. Hold the metal key part of your key fob against your chin, then push the unlock button. The trick turns your head into an antenna, says Tim Pozar, a Silicon Valley radio engineer.
Mr. Pozar explains, 鈥淵ou are capacitively coupling the fob to your head. With all the fluids in your head it ends up being a nice conductor. Not a great one, but it works.鈥 Using your head can extend the key鈥檚 wireless range by a few car lengths.
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/19/technology/personaltech/19basics.html
It's actually real! :surprise:

Super Moderator
I hold the fob to my chin with my Odyssey. Works great to just about double the range!

Registered
Insight Remote Car Starter? Extended Range?

How does one extend the range to Remote start our Insight? (Press Lock button then Round-arrow button). How do i extend range? Sometimes I start it and find out it never auto remote started 馃槥

Super Moderator
How does one extend the range to Remote start our Insight? (Press Lock button then Round-arrow button). How do i extend range? Sometimes I start it and find out it never auto remote started 馃槥
Added your question to existing thread on remote start. Tricks for extending range are mentioned in above posts. :)

Registered
Key fob range?

Hello,

I feel like the range is pretty decent in direct sight, I've measured about 400ft, but as long as there is one or more cars in front of it, it's a completely different story. This morning, there was only one car in front of mine covering 80% of the length of the car (not even an SUV) and it would only work at about 150ft. In a busy parking lot, it did not work at 120 ft.

Do you guys have similar ranges? Where is the sensor in the car? Last question, can you replace the battery easily and without reprogramming?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
Hello,

I feel like the range is pretty decent in direct sight, I've measured about 400ft, but as long as there is one or more cars in front of it, it's a completely different story. This morning, there was only one car in front of mine covering 80% of the length of the car (not even an SUV) and it would only work at about 150ft. In a busy parking lot, it did not work at 120 ft.

Do you guys have similar ranges? Where is the sensor in the car? Last question, can you replace the battery easily and without reprogramming?
Merged your question into thread with comments/tips on fob range. See above for (obscure but effective) suggestions.

For fob battery replacement, keep in mind that the fob can still be used (in very close/touching proximity) to the start button. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/258-2019-honda-insight-features-equipment/2708-what-if-key-fob-dies.html

Battery replacement shouldn't require reprogramming.

Registered
Merged your question into thread with comments/tips on fob range. See above for (obscure but effective) suggestions.

For fob battery replacement, keep in mind that the fob can still be used (in very close/touching proximity) to the start button. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/258-2019-honda-insight-features-equipment/2708-what-if-key-fob-dies.html

Battery replacement shouldn't require reprogramming.
Thanks, I was wondering if I should post in that thread. I did use the various techniques and it did not increase the range.

Registered
Thanks, I was wondering if I should post in that thread. I did use the various techniques and it did not increase the range.
Although it does look like anything above 100ft seems to be better than what Honda says.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts