Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Insight lovers!

I've got my Insight in November, just before the cold monts where I live.

Today, the temp was around -24c in the morning. The car came with a block heater and it was plugged in.

Using the remote start normally works very well, but today the car didn't want to start at all with the remote.

I even tried to remote start it right beside it, without success. The Insight responds with the first light blink, tries to start (i could see the lights on the dash flashing like it should) but the engine wouldn't start at all.

Strangely, I was able to power the car on manually without any issues.

Does anyone have encountered this issue or wasn't able to remote start on really cold days ?

Thanks for your input !

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
These might be too basic of checks, but... (OM p450)
- could the 'remote start' selection/setting have changed itself in the infotainment screen? (System --> Vehicle --> Keyless Access Setup --> Remote Start On/Off)
- are all the doors locked and closed (and security alarm set) before trying the remote start?

But I'm guessing the extreme cold is preventing remote start. One of the conditions where remote start won't work is low engine oil pressure (OM p451)... though it doesn't fully explain how you're able to still start it manually without a warning or indicator for that.

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
206 Posts
Hi Insight lovers!

I've got my Insight in November, just before the cold monts where I live.

Today, the temp was around -24c in the morning. The car came with a block heater and it was plugged in.

Using the remote start normally works very well, but today the car didn't want to start at all with the remote.

I even tried to remote start it right beside it, without success. The Insight responds with the first light blink, tries to start (i could see the lights on the dash flashing like it should) but the engine wouldn't start at all.

Strangely, I was able to power the car on manually without any issues.

Does anyone have encountered this issue or wasn't able to remote start on really cold days ?

Thanks for your input !
If you have the app, it will tell you what's going on if you try to remote start it and it fails. Also make sure the hood is completely shut.

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts

Is the following your video/example of Insight remote start in (extreme) cold temperatures?
- If not, it's one other example of remote start not working in temps below -20C.
- If so, it's interesting that the car tries to start but doesn't fully turn over; it seems like it doesn't 'pass' one of the start-up interlock checks. It almost sounds like a conventional car trying to start, rather than the 'electric' quietness of the Insight's normal start.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Is the following your video/example of Insight remote start in (extreme) cold temperatures?
- If not, it's one other example of remote start not working in temps below -20C.
- If so, it's interesting that the car tries to start but doesn't fully turn over; it seems like it doesn't 'pass' one of the start-up interlock checks. It almost sounds like a conventional car trying to start, rather than the 'electric' quietness of the Insight's normal start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM6Vugrx7vc
Seems like this gentleman is pressing the remote start button a long time past the LED blinking. Another long press shuts down the engine, could it be why?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Issues with Remote Start

Like to throw my issue in here.

Tried to remote start my car this am.. Didn't work. Started for about 15 seconds then shut off. First time powering up the vehicle it said 12 volt battery low. Charging. Do not drive. I put it in drive and crept forward and the car jerked into park. Turned off/on the car and it was fine. No error or anything... Considering calling the dealer but I honestly don't have time to take the car in... Ugh.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If nothing more, you should at least call the service department and ask them to make a note in your records that this has happened. If you experience this notice/problem again, they would be able to see that you had previously put them on notice of the issue!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,330 Posts
Like to throw my issue in here.

Tried to remote start my car this am.. Didn't work. Started for about 15 seconds then shut off. First time powering up the vehicle it said 12 volt battery low. Charging. Do not drive. I put it in drive and crept forward and the car jerked into park. Turned off/on the car and it was fine. No error or anything... Considering calling the dealer but I honestly don't have time to take the car in... Ugh.

I looked in the owner's manual and I think one of these descriptions could explain what happened.

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
Did you happen to notice or recall how cold the temperature was when this happened? Today's DC weather range says it was 22 to 36F (-5 to 2C)...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys!

So I can see that i'm not alone having this problem.

Yesterday it happened again. Tried to remote start the car but it didn't work.

Temp was -19c (-2f). This time I was able to record what was happening : https://photos.app.goo.gl/RBd4JanbW4huKZog7.

We can see the car trying to start for a second but then "dies". But I can still start the car without any issues from the inside of the car. No battery issue, no warning, everthing works well.

I called the service department to see if it's a known issue, they said it's normal since "the electric motor is the one that runs when the car is idle, but it's too cold to start so the car cancel the remote start.

I thing they are bullsh*tting me. Wouldn't i be able to start the car normally if the electric motor was too cold to start ? This doesn't make any sense. What's the purpose of having a remote starter if we can't start the car in the cold ?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey guys!

Temp was -19c (-2f). This time I was able to record what was happening : https://photos.app.goo.gl/RBd4JanbW4huKZog7.

We can see the car trying to start for a second but then "dies". But I can still start the car without any issues from the inside of the car. No battery issue, no warning, everthing works well.

I called the service department to see if it's a known issue, they said it's normal since "the electric motor is the one that runs when the car is idle, but it's too cold to start so the car cancel the remote start.

I thing they are bullsh*tting me. Wouldn't i be able to start the car normally if the electric motor was too cold to start ? This doesn't make any sense. What's the purpose of having a remote starter if we can't start the car in the cold ?
that looks like the flash that indicates you need to manually start the car because you have already done one iteration of a remote start and reached the 10 minute limit. are you sure it wasn't started the day before remotely and not driven? or something like that?

If that is the dealers explanation, it is terrible. That person clearly doesn't understand how to formulate logical ideas and spin them into believable concepts.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Usually if a car won't start with remote start because the engine needs a longer crank there is a setting the dealer can usually adjust to make the car crank longer. It was hard to hear what was going on in the video. There was some weird noise that sounded exactly the same as your shoes on the snow when you were walking. Was that the car trying to crank?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey guys!

Actually just remote started mine this morning with the fob. It was -8°F. Started right away, maybe a tad weaker than usually but still very strong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that looks like the flash that indicates you need to manually start the car because you have already done one iteration of a remote start and reached the 10 minute limit. are you sure it wasn't started the day before remotely and not driven? or something like that?
Pretty sure I haven't tried to start the car before and let the timer expire. I rarely let it run more than 5 minutes. I have a direct line of sight of the car from my window and I can see it flashing and when it works (or not).

Usually if a car won't start with remote start because the engine needs a longer crank there is a setting the dealer can usually adjust to make the car crank longer. It was hard to hear what was going on in the video. There was some weird noise that sounded exactly the same as your shoes on the snow when you were walking. Was that the car trying to crank?
I can hear it trying to crank for about half a second. It takes a bit longer than that to crank when starting it manually. I think you may be onto something ! I'll let them know this.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Pretty sure I haven't tried to start the car before and let the timer expire. I rarely let it run more than 5 minutes. I have a direct line of sight of the car from my window and I can see it flashing and when it works (or not).

I can hear it trying to crank for about half a second. It takes a bit longer than that to crank when starting it manually. I think you may be onto something ! I'll let them know this.

Thanks for your help!
i think you're thinking of aftermarket style remote start kits which dont use a tach wire feedback. you could change the crank time for your particular application.

In the Insights case, the car controls the cranking whether you remote start it or hit the button. its not like your controlling the crank time with the dash button. the car knows when the cylinders touch off or don't.

what is different about remote start though? the electric defrost heater is on and the fan speed is set to high. in manual starting its probably set to 20c auto or wherever you had it last. nice and low.

it could be that sudden current load of the heater and fan on the 12 volt battery combined with the cold lowers the performance just enough that the 12 volt powered high-voltage contactor opens back up part way through cranking when other loads are added (ignition, fuel pump, etc). if that were the case i would expect your problem to happen more frequently or the battery fail all together pretty quickly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts