Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
For those interested in upgrading their head unit, pioneer electronics will be releasing new floating head unit displays this year. The display will go over your current display and the brain will be separate so this works for those with an EX and Touring if they want to revert back to OEM head unit easily.

This is probably pioneer electronics solution to all the new cars that have problems with upgrading OEM head unit.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX Headunit installed on LX

So I just got this installed. Unfortunately, the steering wheel control harness didn’t work (kinda knew it wouldn’t too as Crutchfield said it wouldn’t fit Insight).. guys at the shop i got it installed tried looking at the civic install diagram but it’s a total mismatch. At least I can get a universal steering wheel control unit that works directly with my Pioneer ( little bit funky because it comes with a control pad that you install on steering wheel and I just have to find a good place to put that). Also the OEM rear camera didn’t link up so I had to buy another Pioneer camera and they installed it in OEM position.

Aside from that everything else is good. I have HD radio now and can play dvd/cds. Also love the fact that this has WiFi stereo connectivity (in addition to Bluetooth) but the WiFi connect sounds better , as I’ve read.

This unit has a simple bypass that you can activate when pressing screen at a certain point that allows you to watch videos while driving (and view rear and front camera). Not that I condone that but at least with this unit you don’t have to buy and install a bypass cable (which you had to to be able to do this on previous models).

Anyone looking to install a double din head unit on their LX, it will fit perfectly in the opening when you remove OEM unit (fits it perfectly).
Here are some pics (custom dash kit).

Like I said in the thread about changing out head unit, you will need the Metra 2016 civic and up wiring harness.

I’m wondering if I’m the only person with an upgraded headunit in the world in a 3rd gen Insight LX? Time to call the car audio magazines ? Nah..

Here are some pics:

Random pics of headunit and custom dash kit.

First 2 pics are HD radio and a song from my IPhone.

Next 2 are front camera and rear camera.

Next is a bonus shot of what an OEM head unit looks like removed from dash.

And finally I got a custom 2 usb/ 1 hdmi / 1 aux port installed.

I didn’t go all out on my sound system. I ended up returning the sub and returned the Focal speakers I got and will be selling off the other audio components I have. I just figured it was too much for doing rideshare. But I had to get the Pioneer installed. It actually sounds a little better with the upgraded head unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
So I decided to go back to one of the shops that I was talking to when i was thinking about installing my audio system. One of the staff told me they had a tech that was really good with steering wheel controls.

Anyways, they got the steering wheel controls to work with a part from pac-audio. I get everything, including answer call and deny/end call and summon Bluetooth for calling.

If anyone is interested in the pac audio part , they used this one:

https://pac-audio.com/swi-guide-center/swi-rc-1-guide/

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
So I decided to go back to one of the shops that I was talking to when i was thinking about installing my audio system. One of the staff told me they had a tech that was really good with steering wheel controls.

Anyways, they got the steering wheel controls to work with a part from pac-audio. I get everything, including answer call and deny/end call and summon Bluetooth for calling.
Pure curiosity question... but in total the MSRP difference between and EX and LX is ~$1.2k, with the EX having 8" touch screen and LaneWatch. Did you end up spending less than that in total for the head unit and steering wheel upgrades? Would you have done it again if you had the choice?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Pure curiosity question... but in total the MSRP difference between and EX and LX is ~$1.2k, with the EX having 8" touch screen and LaneWatch. Did you end up spending less than that in total for the head unit and steering wheel upgrades? Would you have done it again if you had the choice?
That’s actually kind of a tough question.. I think it would really depend on whether or not I could’ve gotten a white EX for around 1.2k over what I paid for my LX (instead of say at least 2k over).I was actually looking to get an EX, but the dealer I was at didn’t have a white one ( never inquired about price ).

There are things from the EX that I like over the LX and vice versa (now that I know you can change out the head unit). But most of that is attainable (either through aftermarket or getting parts from salvage EX, such as folding cup holder center in back seat, which I don’t have). Also, I don’t think aftermarket offers anything like what the EX and up offers, like when you walk away from car and it locks itself and when you get close it opens ( but I could be wrong).

There are things about the Pioneer head unit that I like over the EX/Touring unit, such as wireless CarPlay people were taking about in another thread on here.

Also, I’ve seen some aftermarket lane assist from 1 stereo shop I was at. So that is an option in the future. For now I got these big blind spot mirrors.

If I could’ve gotten a white EX for roughly 23.2k OTD (I got my LX for 22k OTD, or 21,500 after getting some money back (but that’s another story), I probably would’ve gotten it instead.

But I’m a person that likes to mod things, so I feel ‘safer’ with the LX.

·
Registered
484 Posts
So I got my dash kit wrapped recently in carbon fiber and gloss black..

Had to pull off dash kit to do it..looks so much better..

I got plans for my entire sound system but just waiting for the right time to buy .. although now seems like a good time based on the prices I’ve seen online.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Electronics

·
Registered
4 Posts
I see you’re in LA, I also have a 2019 LX and I have been looking everywhere in LA for someone to do it for me. Can you tell me where you did it because it’s a bit tricky. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
I see you’re in LA, I also have a 2019 LX and I have been looking everywhere in LA for someone to do it for me. Can you tell me where you did it because it’s a bit tricky. Thanks
Welcome to the forum. If you're also interested, @Insightfu1 also used the same installation shop to upgrade the LX audio system, in addition to the head unit. - Has anyone upgraded their speakers?

·
Registered
484 Posts
try Evolution Motorsports in Mid-Wilshire area .. they did the install on my head unit and fabricated the custom dash kit .. though Impressive Wrap in El Monte wrapped the dash kit..

steering wheel controls were done at Sound Doctor 911 in Camarillo..

Evolution might be able to do the steering wheel controls but if they can’t , You might want to head up to Sound Doctor and they fabricate custom dash kits as well (they have more customization as far as material used for dash kit as well).

·
Registered
4 Posts
try Evolution Motorsports in Mid-Wilshire area .. they did the install on my head unit and fabricated the custom dash kit .. though Impressive Wrap in El Monte wrapped the dash kit..

steering wheel controls were done at Sound Doctor 911 in Camarillo..

Evolution might be able to do the steering wheel controls but if they can’t , You might want to head up to Sound Doctor and they fabricate custom dash kits as well (they have more customization as far as material used for dash kit as well).
You know roughly how much it came out to? I know which stereo I want and I could get that cheap, but the installation was how much?

·
Registered
484 Posts
You know roughly how much it came out to? I know which stereo I want and I could get that cheap, but the installation was how much?
I think it was 100-150 just to fabricate dash kit .. which is the best price I found ..

Forgot how much to install unit itself..

·
Registered
484 Posts
So after telling myself I wasn’t going to do anything else to my car besides maintenance/repairs, I bit the bullet and bought a Pioneer 9” WTH-7600NEX stereo.. Best Buy was offering free installation but the install guy said if something went wrong during installation and he couldnt reverse it, he didn’t want to be held liable (ok whatever).

So I decided to install it myself and I think it came out pretty well as I was able to use my previous custom dash kit to fill in the open space behind screen.

Everything just plugged right in and the brackets from the dash kit fit the single din unit perfectly. Only thing is I might upgrade my rear view camera as it’s not an HD camera and this screen is 720p, a significant upgrade from previous unit.

Now I get to dabble in a 9 inch screen while you EX/Touring peasants are stuck with an 8 inch screen..Muahahaha

jk

btw: anyone interested in a Pioneer 4500nex, I have one for sale for $399 plus shipping (mint condition) and comes with new wiring accessories from this unit.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Electronics Center console
Vehicle Multimedia Car Electronics Vehicle audio
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Luxury vehicle

41 - 60 of 91 Posts