Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yo that’s sick! So you bought your own dash kit with that stereo? I’ve been trying to call the shops you gave me and nobody answers. Everyone in the area say they can’t do it

·
Registered
602 Posts
No.. I’m using the previous dash kit I have .. there is a little open space behind screen that I wanted to fill ..

There are no dash kits for this car at the moment..

Keep trying to call evolution motorsports, Alonso is very busy so sometimes he doesn’t answer the phone or reply to his texts immediately. Although I think he was recently in the hospital.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No.. I’m using the previous dash kit I have .. there is a little open space behind screen that I wanted to fill ..

There are no dash kits for this car at the moment..

Keep trying to call evolution motorsports, Alonso is very busy so sometimes he doesn’t answer the phone or reply to his texts immediately. Although I think he was recently in the hospital.
Oh man I’ll keep trying, stereo looks super nice props!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I gave this some thought and was thinking about returning this and getting a 10” Pioneer or wait about a month for the new 10” Kenwood version. They are both iDatalink Maestro compatible and I heard version 2 has climate control capabilities; that way I could remove my AC control panel and lower the unit a bit to cover that area (since they are both position adjustable).

here is a pic of how I have it setup now.. I lowered it a bit as it was blocking ac vents just a tad and moved it to right so it wouldnt hit my phone holder.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Steering wheel

·
Registered
602 Posts
I was just thinking about this but you EX/Touring people could probably upgrade to a bigger screen and get a iDatalink maestro v2 and still retain factory info like mpg and other car specs.. not sure about the blind spot camera but it’s possible.. if not you can always add aftermarket ..

Plus you get all the good stuff with the aftermarket head unit like wireless CarPlay.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Pure curiosity question... but in total the MSRP difference between and EX and LX is ~$1.2k, with the EX having 8" touch screen and LaneWatch. Did you end up spending less than that in total for the head unit and steering wheel upgrades? Would you have done it again if you had the choice?
You also have to factor in the key less entry with walk away auto lock, and the rear split seats as well. I LOVE the key less entry and peg it along with the remote engine start as being more than worth it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I was just thinking about this but you EX/Touring people could probably upgrade to a bigger screen and get a iDatalink maestro v2 and still retain factory info like mpg and other car specs.. not sure about the blind spot camera but it’s possible.. if not you can always add aftermarket ..

Plus you get all the good stuff with the aftermarket head unit like wireless CarPlay.
just did a little research on iDatalink’s website and they don’t have support for the 2016-up civic yet.. which would be the car you wanted to choose for this device I assume since I used the wiring harness from that gen civic..

This device is just somewhat new.

·
Registered
602 Posts
This flag ship model from Pioneer is pretty cool. It has web browsing capabilities, when parked , and it allows me to customize the background.I’m also convinced that it sounds better than my previous Pioneer head unit.

Unfortunately, I had a bypass unit installed for a different pioneer unit, but it doesn’t work. This allows for certain capabilities to be used while driving, like watching videos and web browsing. Probably not the best idea to use those while driving but it’s nice to have. I’ll just have to wait until somebody creates a bypass for this unit.

I have my complaints about this unit but all can be fixed with a firmware update, which I’m patiently waiting for.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Luxury vehicle
Electronics Multimedia Vehicle Car Technology

·
Registered
602 Posts
I gave this some thought and was thinking about returning this and getting a 10” Pioneer or wait about a month for the new 10” Kenwood version. They are both iDatalink Maestro compatible and I heard version 2 has climate control capabilities; that way I could remove my AC control panel and lower the unit a bit to cover that area (since they are both position adjustable).
After some struggling with the Pioneer unit and a lagging OS and not reliable features, I decided to return it on the very last day I was able to. I think I got a good idea of how good ( or not so good ) the unit was. I really think Pioneer should’ve released a product operating well out the box ( and I needed to download a firmware update upon install ). It kind of reminded me of Honda Sensing and how Honda didn’t perfect the technology before releasing it (even though it wasn’t theirs).

I ended up getting a newly released Kenwood 10.1” floating HD receiver. It was just a bit more expensive than the Pioneer (plus i got a discount on the Kenwood too). In fact, this thing was released just in time for me to return the Pioneer and get this. I also got a Metra amplified radio antenna from Best Buy and got it installed with the head unit. The reviews say it picks up on a lot of new stations they weren’t getting previously ( such a great thing since I’m in SoCal and I’m assuming there are a lot here) and I was hoping it would improve my HD radio reception.

The Kenwood OS is much smoother and the features work a lot more reliably than Pioneer (like CarPlay and HDMI connection). In fact, the place I got it from said they get more Pioneer returns than Kenwood. It’s massive and I lowered it as low as possible to not block AC vents but now it blocks a bit of my view of AC settings, but I can live with it even though I have to lower my head a bit to see it.

Here are some pics of the unit and my new antenna:

Multimedia Car Vehicle Technology Subcompact car
Electronics Multimedia Car Vehicle Center console
Vehicle Car Multimedia Luxury vehicle Personal luxury car
Vehicle door Windshield Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
602 Posts
Here’s another shot of this beast in daylight. This is a double din unit (as opposed to single din of the Pioneer) so I think it has more processing power with the larger unit. There are ‘new’ features compared to the Pioneer like slideshow background.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Multimedia

·
Registered
602 Posts
Just thought of pulling out the AC controls and double sided taping it to bottom of screen.. has a better color matchup now compared to when I had the 4500nex with gloss black wrap. My Kenwood screen matches up better as it’s a piano black, like the AC control unit. It also looks more OEMish like someone opted for an upgraded stereo for the car.

Now I just have to get black double sided tape because you can kinda see the tape between ac unit and screen, but it’s not that noticeable.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Electronics

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Steering wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Center console

·
Registered
602 Posts
lol..

I think I’m set for a while.. this is the biggest aftermarket screen available on the market at the moment at 10.1” (well atleast from a reputable manufacturer).. I believe there are bigger Chinese made head units ..

I’m totally happy with my head unit as the OS is very reliable (not 100% perfect) but I’m still happy.

now if we’re talking about other parts of my sound system, I’m waiting to see what the Black Friday sales are like .. I have my eye on a few speakers and would like to see if their discounted and how much..

last year they had a high end Focal set that normally sells for $850 but went on sale on Amazon for around $430 I think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@Insightfu1
Sorry to revive an old topic. I have the 2019 LX and have been considering replacing the stereo. Everything on Crutchfield and Best Buy says no stereos are compatible. How did you discern that the Pioneer/Kenwood head units you purchased would work/fit? The websites say they don't but you obviously have it installed. I'm not sure about installing myself but have done so in the past on older/easier cars to work with. Will a shop even do the work when Crutchfield, etc... says the unit is not a fit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Insightfu1
Sorry to revive an old topic. I have the 2019 LX and have been considering replacing the stereo. Everything on Crutchfield and Best Buy says no stereos are compatible. How did you discern that the Pioneer/Kenwood head units you purchased would work/fit? The websites say they don't but you obviously have it installed. I'm not sure about installing myself but have done so in the past on older/easier cars to work with. Will a shop even do the work when Crutchfield, etc... says the unit is not a fit?

Thanks!
Mine is being delivered tomorrow so I've been reading up and finding out that aftermarket sound in the LX is pretty much custom install only. (On most cars, it's custom, but the 2019 Honda Insight LX is apparently very custom.)

If I were to summarize everything I've read here, it's that nobody makes an installation kits for this car. (Yet?) Crutchfield doesn't have any kits for this car so they won't recommend any stereos. The few people who've succeeded in installing an aftermarket head unit did so through shops which were capable of custom fabricating the dashboard bezel elements, probably through 3d printing. Wiring up the sound is really straight forward. The cameras and mics, not so much (requiring replacement). Just by pure happenstance, one of the shops that was able to do this is local to me (Sound Doctor 911, Camarillo, CA, USA) and I'll be dropping by on Saturday 8/28/2021 to see what I'll need to by... if I even decide to keep the car since it's one of those deals where I can return it if I don't like it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
If you have an LX, all you need is 2016-up metra Honda Civic wiring harness found below to connect to any aftermarket head unit (remember the Insight and 10th gen civic have interchangeable parts). Do be honest, if you got the same exact head unit I got (KENWOOD DMX 1037s), you wouldn’t need any custom dash kits or anything as the screen is massive and blocks out anything behind it and it’s double din so it’ll fit snuggly right where the OEM unit used to be (but you might need some brackets to hold unit in place but not necessarily a whole dash kit).

To go beyond that, I was messing around with EX and Touring models at the dealership and they have all the info on the center console main screen that is controlled by the steering wheel controls. So if you have an EX/Touring, you can theoretically change out your head unit but would just lose camera for changing lanes and blind spot info (if you have it). The cameras for lane changing might be able to be regained.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts