Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Insightfu1
Thanks for the reply. The Kenwood DMX 1037s is quite a bit more than I'm willing to spend. Got any recommendations for anything cheaper? I'm willing to spend up to $500. I see several on Crutchfield that say they fit into a 2016 Civic...same as it says for the DMX 1037s. Is that a good reference then...if it says it fits the Civic it should fit the Insight as well?

Also, anyone have experience with Boss receivers listed on Crutchfield? Never heard of them but they're priced competitively to JVC, Alpine & Kenwood, etc...

·
Registered
560 Posts
Insightfu1
Thanks for the reply. The Kenwood DMX 1037s is quite a bit more than I'm willing to spend. Got any recommendations for anything cheaper? I'm willing to spend up to $500. I see several on Crutchfield that say they fit into a 2016 Civic...same as it says for the DMX 1037s. Is that a good reference then...if it says it fits the Civic it should fit the Insight as well?

Also, anyone have experience with Boss receivers listed on Crutchfield? Never heard of them but they're priced competitively to JVC, Alpine & Kenwood, etc...
If you get something else, then you will need a custom dash kit as there is still nothing available I believe for the 3rd gen insight.

my advice to you is call a lot of car audio shops/car customization shops in a big city near you to see if they do that.

I did that but found one very quickly after some Yelp searching but I live by Los Angeles.

One more thing.. if you have an iPhone, stay away from Pioneer.. they are known to be very glitchy with that brand as I learned from experience and talking to the tech that repairs car stereos for a living when I had to bring in my Pioneer for service. so at this point, I would look into Kenwood, Alpine, or Sony and would wait until Black Friday (even though I believe there won't be that many good sales this year due to supply chain issue).

·
Registered
560 Posts
I was looking at the price of the KENWOOD dmx1037s and it has gone up a bit (most likely due to chip shortage and supply chain problems) and it’s a bit over a year old too.

when I bought around sept 2020, it retailed for about 1200 (and I got 10% off that) , now it retails for 1450 and it’s over a year old.

I would expect that for other car stereos as well unfortunately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, as mentioned earlier, it's quite a bit more than I'm willing to pay. I'm not looking for top of the line, nor to install amps or replace speakers. I just want a nicer, more modern head unit. The more I read & search the web it has me considering installing it myself. As long as I can get the correct wiring harness to retain backup camera and steering wheel controls I will be somewhat confident of doing a decent job. I still need to go to Best Buy and local installers to get more info. However, I'm going on a trip next week, plus the weather is getting colder in Chicago so if I do it myself I'm going to wait until spring.

I'm assuming when you installed your original Pioneer that all functions worked correctly, right? (Backup camera, steering wheel, etc...)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yes all the functions work correctly. But I got the steering wheel controls done by somebody that was an expert and worked with people in the industry. I’m assuming you just can’t find that person anywhere so I got lucky.

If you get the boss receiver or any other receiver you will for sure need a custom dash kit. Everything else will work but it will just be hanging there and it will look out of place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Insightfu1
Sorry to keep bothering you...just trying to get all the info I can. I went to a Best Buy last night but that was a mistake...employee wasn't very knowledgeable. Went to a local installer today and he was very helpful. Said he would investigate himself about the Insight and get back to me. In the meantime, regarding your earlier posts:

...they got the steering wheel controls to work with a part from pac-audio. If anyone is interested in the pac audio part , they used this one:

Do I just buy the PAC SWI-RC-1 and adjust the dip-switches according to a 2016 Honda Civic and whichever brand stereo I end up with? Kenwood in the example below

Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

If you have an LX, all you need is 2016-up metra Honda Civic wiring harness found below to connect to any aftermarket head unit (remember the Insight and 10th gen civic have interchangeable parts).

Would this be the correct harness you are referring to?

If those are the only things I need I don't think doing this myself would be too difficult. The tricky part will be crafting a dash plate that looks decent. I think it could be done though...I actually pulled the stereo out just to get a feel for what I am doing. I noticed a bunch of tiny screws holding the black back dash plate on, and was able to remove that as well. It seems that if the front of the radio (shiny black section) could be pried from the back dull part, the back could be used as a frame for the new stereo (of course some mods/cutting might have to be done. I didn't force that part out though since I still need the current radio to work.

Finally,

Did you use this in your original install with the Pioneer? It looks like the same dash kit for the Civic.

I said I was going to wait until spring but I am very into this little project now!

Anyway...thanks again for your help.

Wood Electronic instrument Audio equipment Office equipment Netbook

·
Registered
6 Posts
Now I’ve gone and done it…I successfully replaced the stock Insight LX head unit with an aftermarket head unit! With advice from Insightfu1 and a bunch of research and determination, I was able to complete the project rather painlessly. Hopefully my experience makes it even more simple for you!

Removing the stock unit is quite simple. The temperature controller below it pulls/pops out with a bit of finger manipulation to get “under” the edges. There is a YouTube video how to do this. Once the temperature controller is removed, 2 screws are exposed that hold the head unit in place and are easily accessible. Once they are removed the radio will snap out and provide access to remove the wired connectors.

For my install I used the following:
Axxess XSVI-1731-NAV
Axxess ASWC-1 / Axxess AXSWC
Metra 40-HD11
Axxess AX-TOYUSB USB
Metra 95-7812B Dash Kit
Install Bay 89-00-9031 ABS Plastic 12 X 12 X 1/8-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007WTF02?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
Atoto F7 Head Unit (Pioneer DMH-130BT)

Axxess XSVI-1731-NAV This consists of a 24-pin harness, a 32-pin harness, & two 12-pin harnesses, a 6-volt step down converter, and a CANBUS.
The 24-pin harness will provide power for the head unit & speakers. All wiring from the aftermarket unit to the XSVI harness was/is well documented form both Metra & the head unit manufacturer. This harness will also retain the backup camera. HOWEVER, to get the camera working, you will need to splice and/or run wire. I followed the directions and even chatted with tech support, but the Green/Purple wire from the XSVI to the rear camera wire on the aftermarket unit was not supplying the required power (12v). It’s assumed that this is because the XSVI is programmed/wired for a Honda Civic, not an Insight. It should be noted, though, that there are many users on the Civic forums having rear camera issues…so maybe it’s just faulty programming in general. Regardless, the Civic users have found they could tap the reverse wire located under the steering wheel, but I was not able to locate it. My solution (as others had as well) was to tap the reverse light in the trunk, run it though the cabin (hidden under trim pieces, of course) and connect it to the aftermarket rear camera wire. PROBLEM SOLVED! The car is put in reverse, the backup light goes on, it sends power to the aftermarket unit camera wire, and the radio screen switches to the camera input…which requires another modification…but it’s only one wire and relatively easy to do.
The 32-pin harness will need to be re-pinned to provide the backup camera power. Despite the Civic & Insight stock head units being identical aside from the outer trim, the wiring for the XSVI harness that supplies power to turn on the backup camera is different on the Civic and Insight. On the 32-pin harness of the XSVI, pin #14 (Black wire) which is the ground wire for the backup camera needs to be re-pinned, re-routed, spliced (however you want to do it) to pin #30, which is the ground wire for the backup camera on the Insight. Once this wire is properly routed to pin #30, the backup camera will now have power when the car is put into Reverse and the radio screen will switch to the camera input and display the backup camera video input. Yay!
Unfortunately, the backup camera, left wired this way, will only show the dreaded “fish-eye” camera view. This can be changed, though. If you would like the “normal” view, you will need to pin, or splice (again, however you want to do it), a wire to pin #32 (CAMERA BIT1) on the 32-pin harness and ground it. I grounded it to the black wires on the 24-pin XSVI harness. Should you prefer the “top-down” view, you would instead pin, or splice, a wire to pin #31 (CAMERA BIT0) and ground it.
NOTE – you will only have one view – whichever you choose. You will not be able to switch views unless you manually wire a switch of some sort to both pin #31 & pin #32. That is beyond the scope of my post.

Axxess ASWC-1 or Axxess AXSWC These appear to be interchangeable and will retain steering wheel controls.
The ASWC-1 comes with a 12-pin harness as well as another CANBUS. However, if you have the XSVI-1731-NAV, you do NOT need to do any wiring/splicing of any kind. In fact, you will NOT use the wire harness that comes with the ASWC-1 at all. The XSVI has a pre-wired 12-pin harness for steering wheel controls that will plug into the ASWC-1 CANBUS instead. The 12-pin harnesses are clearly marked on the XSVI so pay attention to which 12-pin harness is plugged into which CANBUS. So, to be clear, the XSVI 12-pin harness labeled as “SWC” plugs into the CANBUS that comes with the ASWC-1. The other XSVI 12-pin harness plugs into the CANBUS that comes with the XSVI. While directions for programming the steering wheel controls can get convoluted (there are many tips and instructions on the Axxess site), I was able to figure it out and got them to work relatively easily.

Metra 40-HD11 Antenna adaptor
This is rather straight forward. Simply plug the adaptor ends into their corresponding plugs for the car antenna and the head unit. There is also a blue wire for power antennas. I read conflicting posts about the Insight requiring power for the antenna, so, to be safe I attached it to the head unit power antenna wire. I haven’t had any issues with receiving radio signals.

Axxess AX-TOYUSB USB To retain the function of the car’s factory USB port.
Again, this one is straight forward. Simply plug one end to the factory harness and the other to the head unit rear USB port and the Insight’s factory USB port will work to charge the phone as well as connect to Android Auto/ CarPlay.

Metra 95-7812B Dash Kit This is actually a dash install kit for the 2016+ Civic that I modded to fit the Insight.
The back side of the kit has 6 pins/tabs that will help hold it in place. However, I found it necessary to completely cut the 2 bottom tabs off as they did not directly line up with the holes for the Insight. The remaining 4 tabs I trimmed down thinner and longer to help fit into the Insight holes. The side brackets provide screw tabs that will match up with the Insight screws for the head unit and will hold it securely in place.
I also trimmed the opening for the head unit so that it could be mounted flush with the dash kit rather than be recessed half an inch. This worked perfectly for the Pioneer DMH-130BT that I initially purchased. However, the Atoto F7 that I eventually went with is not sized as a typical double din. Even though I trimmed the dash kit for a larger opening, the Atoto is still too wide to fit the opening for a flush mount - I had no choice but to mount it recessed. It looks OK but I preferred having it flush.
I may buy another dash kit…all the fiddling I did with the current one left it with a few scratches.

Install Bay 89-00-9031 ABS Plastic To fill in the bottom/sides of the Civic Dash Kit.
This is simply an 1/8 thick piece of black plastic. One side smooth and one side textured. I opted to have the textured side displayed in my install. The sheet of plastic is large enough to make 4 filler pieces in case you screw up like me (it took me three attempts to cut out a trim piece I was happy with). I have decent tools but perhaps a Dremel would be beneficial to cut more precisely. I didn’t trust my jig-saw so I cut it with a straight edge and razor. For simple straight cuts you can score it and snap it easily. But to make the “U” shape requires patience. I have enough left to try one last time, but I’m not entirely sure I would do any better without getting better tools.

Atoto F7 The Head Unit
As eluded to earlier, I originally purchased a Pioneer DMH-130BT. It seemed like a good deal but there wasn’t much information about it on-line. I was mistakenly led to believe it was Android Auto/CarPlay ready. It wasn’t. It instead had WebLink, which, I must say, REALLY sucks. I returned it and got the Atoto F7 from Amazon for an amazingly low $152! Since NONE of the Pioneers, Kenwoods, or Sonys I was interested in were available at Crutchfield with the features I wanted, I took a gamble on the Atoto. I accidently came across it on Amazon and was surprised by the low price, high features, and positive reviews. Android Auto/CarPlay, nice layout, customizable background and boot logo (mine displays the Honda logo), SD card support, USB support, front Line-in, RDS, etc…all for the low sale price of $152 – with free return if I didn’t like it.

I will not say that it will beat a name brand but it’s really good for what it is. The Pioneer may have sounded better but there’s no way to really compare them side by side at this point. Out of the box, the Atoto is a little flat but the 10 band EQ helps fix that. It powers the stock speakers just fine. Over-all I am pleased with it. It’s a definite upgrade over the stock unit, which was all I was looking for. I mentioned earlier I don’t care about upgrading the speakers or anything else. I’ll see how long the Atoto lasts.

Final thoughts
I had read Civic forums explaining how to incorporate the OEM/factory mic with the new head unit. There is an explanation here in the first post but it involves a Kenwood that uses a stereo mic. The one for the Atoto is a mono mic (as is the Pioneer). All my attempts to tap into the OEM mic did not work for me, which is fine. The aftermarket mic sounds good too...it’s just finding a good place to mount it. I’m still experimenting with different locations. I currently have it positioned between the gear selector and cup holder.

I am attaching the pin-out diagram for the Insight 32-pin harness in case anyone has any thoughts about making the factory mic work. Also, I am attaching it because there is absolutely NOTHING available on-line for the Insight. Obtaining this diagram (an acquaintance works for Honda) helped me get the rear camera working, and could possibly help with other functions.

Car Automotive design Plant Vehicle audio Motor vehicle
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part
Plant Car Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel
Car Vehicle Automotive design Radio Gear shift
Car Plant Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle
Car Satellite radio Vehicle Gear shift Radio
Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
560 Posts
Good job on figuring out the steering wheel controls..that doesn’t seem easy.. although I personally wouldn’t mess with an unknown name brand from Amazon, if it works out for you maybe you have found a cheap good alternative to alpine, KENWOOD, pioneer and the like..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good job on figuring out the steering wheel controls..that doesn’t seem easy.. although I personally wouldn’t mess with an unknown name brand from Amazon, if it works out for you maybe you have found a cheap good alternative to alpine, KENWOOD, pioneer and the like..
The steering wheel controls isn't/wasn't that difficult...the Axxess ASWC-1 makes it pretty easy. Although it can get convoluted going through Metra's site with all their tips and instructions.

As far as the stereo, it was only $150 with a full-feature-set that isn't available on name brands until you spend $350+. I was willing to take that gamble, especially since Amazon was offering free returns. Furthermore, the customer service from Atoto was outstanding...very prompt replies, clear directions, and super polite (I inquired about upgrading the firmware). I may upgrade to a "name-brand" in the future, but for what it's worth, I am satisfied with the head unit.

Ultimately, though, my post is more about the process and requirements to replace the head unit, not the quality of the head unit itself. 🍺🍺

·
Registered
2019 Insight LX
1 Posts
Hello too All.
New around :)

Looking Swapping Stock LX to Stock EX head unit.

So basically I can do this. But still haven't found a 100% sure info re-this.

Can someone guide or PM for details?

Thanks for looking.

P.S. we literally love the car so far. but would like to have Android Auto / Apple Car Play features.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looking Swapping Stock LX to Stock EX head unit.

So basically I can do this. But still haven't found a 100% sure info re-this.
Welcome!

Others have tried this swap unsuccessfully. See this post:

With the information in this thread, you can upgrade to a 3rd-party head unit with Android Auto & Carplay.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts