Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring, Crimson Pearl
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided one week ago that my eleven year old Insight with just under 150,000 km was due for a refresh. I hadn't actually looked at the new Insight before that, but I was amazed at the technology and style leap Honda had taken. If this car is anywhere close to the reliability and economy of my first Honda, it will be the last car I ever own
Tire Car Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Have you had to adjust your hybrid driving technique from the Gen2 Insight, or have you found that a lot of it carries over? Also just curious, but what type of fuel economy did you get with your Gen 2 Insight?

·
Registered
2020 Insight EX Crimson Pearl
147 Posts
Very nice! Your situation was similar to mine. I replaced my 2012 Gen 2 Insight for a 2020 Crimson Red, except mine is an EX. I think you had a little bit more mileage (kilometerage?) than me.

I know for me, the driving technique wasn't too much different. If you accelerated gently the CVT transmission kept the RPMs low and the only time the engine shut off was at a stop, so there was no EV mode to play with. Early on I used the ECO point system to train myself to be better at not doing rapid acceleration or stopping which carried over to the Gen 3 even though I don't pay attention to the point system anymore. I averaged about 40-42 MPG on mine.

Will be curious if you've had similar experiences with the Gen 2.

·
Registered
2020 Touring, Crimson Pearl
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Gen 2 was not a fun car to drive, much too noisy and not enough power (although better than the contemporary Prius). I typically got 42 mpg summer, 39 mpg winter (converted from 5.6 l/100 km and 6.0 l/100km) although my daughter did about 10% better with the same car. So far, the Gen 3 is a much more pleasant vehicle, and without any effort to economize, I'm getting the same or better mileage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts