Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to upgrade my Tires and Rims. I was looking for a set up that would be lighter than the originals and I also wanted to incorporate a Full Size Spare for safety concerns and also to be used within my Tire Rotation Schedule to increase longevity of the whole set. My original combo weighed 48 lbs and this is with 35k Miles on them. I went on www.tirerack.com and found the reviews of the Continental PURECONTACT LS Tires to be outstanding compared with the Original Pro Contact TX. Both of these tires weigh 21 lbs New so there was no gain or loss with my choice of tires. Then I searched for rims looking for anything that would be under 27-ish lbs to keep me lighter than the originals and found a sweet set of O.Z. Hyper GT HLT rims that weighed 17.85 lbs EACH ! so I figured these babies would weigh in under 40 lbs for a savings of approximately 32 lbs for the 4 being replaced. Long story short, the 5 tires and rims total weight was 205 lbs @ 41 lbs each while the 4 originals weighed 192 lbs @ 48 lbs each so now I've got a set up with 5 tires / rims that only weighs 13 lbs more than the Original 4 tires / rims. The ride is so much quieter and smoother with the new tires and they're also "Eco Tires" so I have not noticed and drop off in MPG's yet. Here's a few Pics. Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tile flooring
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Grille Hood
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Sky
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Water
Wheel Tire Car Sky Water

·
Registered
92 Posts
Good information, thanks for posting. Your original tires were worn out at 35k? Mostly highway driving?

I've had good luck with Tire Rack before. What was the cost of each tire and rim combo?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good information, thanks for posting. Your original tires were worn out at 35k? Mostly highway driving?

I've had good luck with Tire Rack before. What was the cost of each tire and rim combo?
No, they weren't but I really didn't like the harshness of those tires with the extra Air Pressure in them. I was running 40 PSI in the front and 37 PSI in back. I could feel every bump and they were a little noisy. The new PURECONTACT LS are smoother and quieter so I lowered the pressure in my old Tires / Rims and put them on my wife's 07 Accord. Price. They weren't cheap. About $535. per tire with Tax but I feel they're worth it and the wife's car got upgraded also. Her Rims were pitted and leaking.
LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for the additional info. That is pricey.

I like how your new rims match your paint color (y) Better for brake dust too, though that's not as much of an issue with the Insight compared to most cars.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it's "Graphite" color which is almost a perfect match with the Modern Steel. The wheels took up most of the cost at $340 each but I wanted lighter and more double take looks from people thinking, "Hey, that Insight looks sweet !" . :p

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,165 Posts
Yeah, the Conti PureContact LS are great all around tires for the Insight Touring. For the Insight LX/EX, it would be the Conti TrueContact Tour based on Tirerack reviews. Both tires are right behind the Michelin CrossClimate 2 in popularity and ratings for our Insights.

Also the spoiler on that Accord looks sort of similar to the Japanese Insight spoiler from your picture. 😮

·
Registered
14 Posts
No, they weren't but I really didn't like the harshness of those tires with the extra Air Pressure in them. I was running 40 PSI in the front and 37 PSI in back. I could feel every bump and they were a little noisy. The new PURECONTACT LS are smoother and quieter so I lowered the pressure in my old Tires / Rims and put them on my wife's 07 Accord. Price. They weren't cheap. About $535. per tire with Tax but I feel they're worth it and the wife's car got upgraded also. Her Rims were pitted and leaking.
LOL
Why did you run 40psi front and 37psi rear? My 2019 states 35psi front and 33psi rear. Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why did you run 40psi front and 37psi rear? My 2019 states 35psi front and 33psi rear. Thanks.
Better MPG's. My "Touring" states 35psi front and 32psi rear so I upped them each 5psi. There are numerous threads on the site here referring to increased psi adding to increased MPG's. I average anywhere from 52 - 60 MPG's on every fill up depending on the weather and temperature.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Better MPG's. My "Touring" states 35psi front and 32psi rear so I upped them each 5psi. There are numerous threads on the site here referring to increased psi adding to increased MPG's. I average anywhere from 52 - 60 MPG's on every fill up depending on the weather and temperature.
Okay thanks. I haven't had time to go through this Forum yet and look for the threads-I will. Another question: Didn't your TPS system go off with over inflated tires and how did an additional 5 PSI affect handling? On most other cars 5 psi is a big step up.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,751 Posts
Okay thanks. I haven't had time to go through this Forum yet and look for the threads-I will. Another question: Didn't your TPS system go off with over inflated tires and how did an additional 5 PSI affect handling? On most other cars 5 psi is a big step up.

Hi @wgwbassbone!

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of threads on upping tire pressures to peruse when you have the time!

I run my Insight at 40psi all the way around. The Insight's TPMS is an indirect system which uses wheel speed sensors to detect when one wheel is spinning paster denoting pressure loss. If you keep them near even, it should not cause an alert. The best part about the indirect system is there is no need to reconfigure when tires are rotated. The downside is it won't tell you which tire it is that's low or let you view actual pressures from inside the cabin. There are aftermarket solutions for this.

Edited to add: Higher tire pressures are likely not a good thing if local roads are in disrepair. Potholes and high pressures don't mix well!

Reactions: wgwbassbone

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it came on after I recalibrated once so I recalibrated a 2nd time and it's all set now. Handling is fine and much better and quieter than the OEM Continental Pro Contact TX tires. The PureContact LS are much more forgiving.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes it came on after I recalibrated once so I recalibrated a 2nd time and it's all set now. Handling is fine and much better and quieter than the OEM Continental Pro Contact TX tires. The PureContact LS are much more forgiving.
Thanks. I just bought my used 2019 with brand new tires that I've never heard of. Once they're done I'll look into the ones you've mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
1,751 Posts
From their website:
"Prinx is the first new brand of Prinx Chengshan (Shandong) Tire Co., Ltd, which is a joint venture between Prairie Investment and Chengshan Group."

This means they were likely made in the same factory as, or right down the street from, the Ling-Longs. 😁

• Wow
Reactions: wgwbassbone

·
Registered
17 Posts
LOL
Let me buy those 17inch oem rims plz!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi @wgwbassbone!

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of threads on upping tire pressures to peruse when you have the time!

I run my Insight at 40psi all the way around. The Insight's TPMS is an indirect system which uses wheel speed sensors to detect when one wheel is spinning paster denoting pressure loss. If you keep them near even, it should not cause an alert. The best part about the indirect system is there is no need to reconfigure when tires are rotated. The downside is it won't tell you which tire it is that's low or let you view actual pressures from inside the cabin. There are aftermarket solutions for this.

Edited to add: Higher tire pressures are likely not a good thing if local roads are in disrepair. Potholes and high pressures don't mix well!
Interesting driving over the last few days. I increased tire pressure to 38psi on all 4 tires. Getting worse milage on the exact same route that I've been driving-LOL Went from 49-52mpg to 46-49mpg.

·
Super Moderator
1,751 Posts
Interesting driving over the last few days. I increased tire pressure to 38psi on all 4 tires. Getting worse milage on the exact same route that I've been driving-LOL Went from 49-52mpg to 46-49mpg.
Wow. Pressure is just one factor. Weather, temps, traffic, SoC, etc. all come into play. What is the distance you are travelling? If it's under ten miles, the aforementioned factors have a heavier effect on results.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts