Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Franko:
What specific Conti tire did you have that blew side wall??

Other then Conti tires, what other tire do you recommend? I'm going on long long road trips in 2 months. I'm now scared of side-wall issues like yours!?!.!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Is the PUREConti side walls like our OEM ProConti tires?

I'm getting the PUREConti if the sidewalls are good to go

·
Registered
53 Posts
Other then Conti tires, what other tire do you recommend? I'm going on long long road trips in 2 months. I'm now scared of side-wall issues like yours!?!.!
I would recommend Bridgestone Ecopia EP422. The dry and wet traction is pretty good, and gas mileage is good too. They do not break traction easily when peeling out. Even when it does, the squeal isn't loud. Costco frequently have great deals on them. I bought them before Christmas and went on a road trip.

In my opinion, it is an improvement as compared to Goodyear Assurance FuelMax & All-Seasons.

Note: The mentioned tires were not on my Insight, but my Camry Hybrid.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Franko:
What specific Conti tire did you have that blew side wall??

I have the factory Conti's on my touring. I asked the Tire Kingdom MGR. if he seen other Conti's with sidewall blowouts? He said sure, but they were curb damage. I asked any from the rear? He said probably. I, myself will not replace with same Conti's when time comes. One good feature the Conti's have is the tread compound varies with temperature. When cold, snowy, they soften for more traction, and when hot they harden for more mileage

I understand that when/if you get your tires rotated at Honda Service and they find a walnut , bubble on sidewall , they will reject tire , by law. And if your mileage is greater than 20K , you must replace it's mate or TPMS will stays on. Another $350 bill. Now, if you go on Google and type in this Conti tire size and read owners review , it's scary. I don't want to imply that Conti's are all bad, just that there are better tires out there. I noticed that Honda 's new SUV's and large vehicles all have Michelins.

PS- GET A SPARE DONUT TIRE because if you are in no mans land and have a tire failure with no spare , and call roadside service, and wait 5 hours for a tow truck, there is still costs involved and most tire dealers don't stock this size tire. I waited 3 days for same size tire from a large Tire company. For some reason, this is a rare size on touring. I noticed the replacement tire had a different tread pattern than original, but close. Franko

·
Registered
205 Posts
^
Franko
Your talking about the OEM 17" ContiPRO about sidewall blowouts? Right?

I'm sure the PUREConti is much better rating upgraded tires in general

·
Registered
338 Posts
I’m guessing I’m going to get 50-55k off mine (Michelin Energy Saver A/S) as I’m at 5/32nd all around (and it’s recommended to replace at 4/32nd) and currently at 44,500..

I have a set of these in my garage waiting to be mounted.. longest tread life rating I could find on any tire for the 16” insight. Got them when they had $100 prepaid gift card with purchase. Hopefully they perform well: https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/goodyear-assurance-maxlife/p/37226

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'll try to answer that since I have done a lot of research. To simplify, at 14500 miles my left rear tire blew out while traveling freeway at 65 mph. No spare. Used the sealant kit. after 15 min. only 20 psi. started home and found Tire Kingdom open, Sunday, Bought a cheap new tire to get home. Ordered a new one.I asked whether a new tire and old 14500 mile tire will not cause TPMS indicator to go on? Mgr said, no problem. After installation, second new tire, after 20 miles TPMS came on. Could not recalibrate.. Called Honda service and they said they should have known better, 5 K millage difference is OK., not 14500.

Now after much research I found that Conti's on Insights and other cars are dangerous, namely sidewall FAILURES.. This appears to be characteristic for these low profile tires .If you run on smooth ice all the time they are OK. They are prone to have sidewall bubbles which is cause for replacement. So, what do I do. Tire Kingdom ran an ad for BF Goodrich g-forceCOMP-2 A/S tires to fit Insight. 2 days only. $106.99 plus $150 rebate from BF Goodrich. This is a premium tire, not energy efficient, Built like a mack truck. 4 1/2 stars ; whereas, Conti is 3 stars.. Excellent reports and not one sidewall failure reported. Only neg. is a little noisy and 40K wear. In desert testing it outperformed Mich. and perilli.. Now get this, this tire weighs 25 lbs and conti weighs 20 lbs for same 17 in.size. Is this because Honda wanted to get better gas mileage with a cheap thin wall tire . I recognize I will lose about 2 mpg, but with less worry.

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
Now after much research I found that Conti's on Insights and other cars are dangerous, namely sidewall FAILURES.. This appears to be characteristic for these low profile tires .If you run on smooth ice all the time they are OK. They are prone to have sidewall bubbles which is cause for replacement.
To your point, tires with lower/thinner sidewall profile create higher risk of damage for any type of tire/brand including Continental. But that there's less material used in the Honda Continental OEM Touring tire further compounds this risk.

·
Registered
27 Posts
To your point, tires with lower/thinner sidewall profile create higher risk of damage for any type of tire/brand including Continental. But that there's less material used in the Honda Continental OEM Touring tire further compounds this risk.
This is franko update- AS of 5/24/2020 I just made a 80 mile trip on my new B. F Goodrich g-gorce comp-2 tires and got 51 mpg overall On the orig. conti's I got 53 mph same trip . Today was 87 deg. Now, since this tire is 5 lbs heaver than orig. conti's It will lose about 3 mpg over the conti's in stop and go driving. . This tire you can take square corners at high speed. Little noise around 70 mph .Improved steering , I feel so much safer with this tire. I could not find one owners review out of hundreds that reported sidewall failure.Stiff side wall. Now, compare to Conti's and you get an ear full of sidewall blow outs. Why does Ford motors use this tire exclusively on Dearborn racetrack.for Mustang high speed testing? Now, one lady said she didn't like this tire, being too aggressive in looks. 5 star rating in dry and wet testing.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
This is franko update- AS of 5/24/2020 I just made a 80 mile trip on my new B. F Goodrich g-gorce comp-2 tires and got 51 mpg overall On the orig. conti's I got 53 mph same trip . Today was 87 deg. Now, since this tire is 5 lbs heaver than orig. conti's It will lose about 3 mpg over the conti's in stop and go driving. . This tire you can take square corners at high speed. Little noise around 70 mph .Improved steering , I feel so much safer with this tire. I could not find one owners review out of hundreds that reported sidewall failure.Stiff side wall. Now, compare to Conti's and you get an ear full of sidewall blow outs. Why does Ford motors use this tire exclusively on Dearborn racetrack.for Mustang high speed testing? Now, one lady said she didn't like this tire, being too aggressive in looks. 5 star rating in dry and wet testing.
Those BF Goodrich tires are track tires made for racing. They excel in handling and Summer like conditions. Main complaints for this tire are tread life(45k miles), noise, and increase risk of hydroplaning as tires are worn according to tirerack buyers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Those BF Goodrich tires are track tires made for racing. They excel in handling and Summer like conditions. Main complaints for this tire are tread life(45k miles), noise, and increase risk of hydroplaning as tires are worn according to tirerack buyers.
Agree, I now have about 1000 miles on these tires and they are amazing. I have been thru rain storms where the car in front of me braked for a stop light and hydroplaned , ended up at a 45 deg. angle. I didn't have that problem. I do get some tire noise above 65 mph, otherwise very quiet. Amazing tires. I did some research and found out that Conti tires are not sold at Cosco, Sams, or BJ's.. I'm happy now that I got out of Conti's.. Also found out that if you need a replacement the tread design may be different, most likely it will be.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Will be replacing my tires this month, I am at 46k and they are slipping too much in the Florida rain compared to other years. Looking to get out of the Michelin line and based on the consumer report reviews from the previous post on page 2, I see that the Falken and Yokohama might be the movement as I want comfort more than mpg.

If anyone else wants to argue a different opinion, I have an open ear and want to know why its better than either of those options. Also any reason not to get Good Year assurance all weather? Rated high on Tirerack.

·
Administrator
4,254 Posts
Will be replacing my tires this month, I am at 46k and they are slipping too much in the Florida rain compared to other years. Looking to get out of the Michelin line and based on the consumer report reviews from the previous post on page 2, I see that the Falken and Yokohama might be the movement as I want comfort more than mpg.

If anyone else wants to argue a different opinion, I have an open ear and want to know why its better than either of those options. Also any reason not to get Goodyear Assurance all weather? Rated high on Tirerack.
Re: Goodyear Assurance - one potential negative @andrew28 listed was MPG impact since not primarily designed for fuel efficiency. @bryan recommended Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 for better wet/dry traction and fuel economy than the Goodyear Assurance.

High-mileage driver @Insightfu1 pre-bought a set of Goodyear Assurance for longest treadlife rating, and might be installing them in a few weeks.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts

If anyone else wants to argue a different opinion, I have an open ear and want to know why its better than either of those options. Also any reason not to get Good Year assurance all weather? Rated high on Tirerack.
Michelin recently announced the CrossClimate 2 and it come in sizes that fit the EX/Touring. No reviews yet but I think they'll be a highly rated tire just like the previous generation CrossClimate+.

• Wet performance – When Michelin engineers began developing the CrossClimate2, they knew they needed a tire that "grips to the last stop." All tires begin to wear after their first drive. But not all tires offer outstanding stopping power as they wear. The CrossClimate2 does. In wet conditions, even when worn, the CrossClimate2 stopped shorter than leading competitive tires - up to 50 feet shorter when stopping from 50 mph.1

Longer lasting – Road testing shows the CrossClimate2 wears better than leading competitors. Not by a little bit, by a lot -- up to 15,000 extra miles. That's up to an additional year of use.2

Dry grip – Stopping power matters in wet or dry conditions. The CrossClimate2 stops up to 16 feet shorter (more than one full car length) on dry pavement than four leading competitive tires.3

Snow performance – Drivers in snowy climates can have confidence in the "3-peak mountain snowflake rating" given to the CrossClimate2. This severe snow capability delivers up to 31% better snow traction when worn than four leading all-season worn competitive tires.4

Noise – Michelin used PIANO Noise Reduction Tuning to design a tread with blocks and angles that cancel out "harmonic" road noise and create ideal amplitude for the contact patch, creating a quieter ride.
Edit: Found one review of a dry road test...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Is there a CrossClimate v2- 17" version (for Touring trim) available?
Those look nice. Im sure not as good as "dedicated" pure Snow tires.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Michelin recently announced the CrossClimate 2 and it come in sizes that fit the EX/Touring. No reviews yet but I think they'll be a highly rated tire just like the previous generation CrossClimate+.

• Wet performance – When Michelin engineers began developing the CrossClimate2, they knew they needed a tire that "grips to the last stop." All tires begin to wear after their first drive. But not all tires offer outstanding stopping power as they wear. The CrossClimate2 does. In wet conditions, even when worn, the CrossClimate2 stopped shorter than leading competitive tires - up to 50 feet shorter when stopping from 50 mph.1

Longer lasting – Road testing shows the CrossClimate2 wears better than leading competitors. Not by a little bit, by a lot -- up to 15,000 extra miles. That's up to an additional year of use.2

Dry grip – Stopping power matters in wet or dry conditions. The CrossClimate2 stops up to 16 feet shorter (more than one full car length) on dry pavement than four leading competitive tires.3

Snow performance – Drivers in snowy climates can have confidence in the "3-peak mountain snowflake rating" given to the CrossClimate2. This severe snow capability delivers up to 31% better snow traction when worn than four leading all-season worn competitive tires.4

Noise – Michelin used PIANO Noise Reduction Tuning to design a tread with blocks and angles that cancel out "harmonic" road noise and create ideal amplitude for the contact patch, creating a quieter ride.
Edit: Found one review of a dry road test...
Piano noise reduction tuning!!! Wow. I think I wet my pants!🤪

I know, I'm being silly, but that has to be one of the funniest lines of salesmanship I have ever heard!

41 - 60 of 90 Posts