Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
That piano tuning noise reduction may be more than a gimmick. But it does make you question if they are doing anything that can be picked up by the human ear (generally speaking). I know piano tuners use electronics when tuning a piano so that they can tune it better than by ear.

I guess some people with a really good ear would be able to pick up on the “harmonics” of the tire. After all, it is Michelin and they make premium tires.

I would be interested to see what they did since I have an interest in pianos.

·
Administrator
4,260 Posts
That piano tuning noise reduction may be more than a gimmick. But it does make you question if they are doing anything that can be picked up by the human ear (generally speaking). I know piano tuners use electronics when tuning a piano so that they can tune it better than by ear.
As of now with the tire just a few weeks new, info on the interwebs repeat the same marketing lines Michelin put out there for their "PIANO Noise Reduction Tuning technology." Just a guess for now, but since PIANO is capitalized everywhere in Michelin's marketing info, it might be just a (marketing) acronym or a compound/creative name...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
Im sure not as good as "dedicated" pure Snow tires.
Yeah, they definitely aren't as good as dedicated snow tires. They are designed for someone like me that want better Winter traction but don't want to deal with tire swapping. Michelin also announced a new generation of Michelin X-Ice tires coming later this Fall.

The Michelin X-Ice Snow replaces Michelin’s X-Ice Xi3 and Latitude X-Ice Xi2 tires.
The Michelin CrossClimate 2 will replace the CrossClimate+, CrossClimate SUV, Premier A/S and Premier LTX tire lines.

·
Registered
338 Posts
As of now with the tire just a few weeks new, info on the interwebs repeat the same marketing lines Michelin put out there for their "PIANO Noise Reduction Tuning technology." Just a guess for now, but since PIANO is capitalized everywhere in Michelin's marketing info, it might be just a (marketing) acronym or a compound/creative name...
yeah that makes more sense as I couldn’t figure what they could use piano tuning electronics with tires for..unless it’s something super advanced related to harmonics I’m not aware of.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: Goodyear Assurance - one potential negative @andrew28 listed was MPG impact since not primarily designed for fuel efficiency. @bryan recommended Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 for better wet/dry traction and fuel economy than the Goodyear Assurance.

High-mileage driver @Insightfu1 pre-bought a set of Goodyear Assurance for longest treadlife rating, and might be installing them in a few weeks.
What is the supposed drop in mpg? I am more concerned with comfort. On Tirerack the Bridgestone seems to be lower rated in most categories so that makes me worried.

·
Administrator
4,260 Posts
What is the supposed drop in mpg? I am more concerned with comfort. On Tirerack the Bridgestone seems to be lower rated in most categories so that makes me worried.
May not be exact apples-to-apples, but Tire Rack's older testing showed a ~5% decrease from Michelin Energy Saver (LX/EX OEM tire) to Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max (which in theory should be lower rolling resistance than base All Season).

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
The original Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus got high marks for comfort but sketchy handling in the wet.

Pirelli said they fixed that with the new version(Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II )which they recently started selling. Not that many reviews for the tire yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As I live in Florida wet conditions happen all too often so comfort and wet handling would be needed for me. 5% reduction doesnt seem like much of an issue, but what about yokohama ascend?

·
Administrator
4,260 Posts
As I live in Florida wet conditions happen all too often so comfort and wet handling would be needed for me. 5% reduction doesnt seem like much of an issue, but what about yokohama ascend?
@hasarad has comparison experience between Yokohama Avid Ascend tires with Continental TruContact Touring on a 2006 Odyssey, and may be able to share additional info.

Between Continental PureContact LS and Yokohama Avid Ascend, @andrew28 suggested the Continental Pure Contact based on online research/info. If it matters as a deciding factor, the Continental tires are made in France and come with longer warranty, while the Yokohamas are made in the Philippines.

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
The Yokohama AVID Ascend GT tire does really good in the wet according to TireRack.

The AVID Ascend GT is a noticeable step ahead of the group on the road, and it presents a compelling overall package. The ride is composed, and while it may be a little firm, it isn't objectionable. There is some tread growl, but it's a medium-volume white noise that blends in with other ambient sounds. The steering is accurate and relatively quick, with a moderate dead spot on-center that makes it feel somewhat non-linear, but is acceptable for the mission of the category.

The Yokohama continues its dominance in our wet testing, with objective stats that are head and shoulders above the rest of the group. In addition to traction that puts it in a class of one in this test, it is easy to drive, with good reserve grip, steady behavior at the limit, and gentle understeer if pushed too hard.

Sounds like a good tire for Florida driving.
Between Continental PureContact LS and Yokohama Avid Ascend, @andrew28 suggested the Continental Pure Contact based on online research/info. If it matters as a deciding factor, the Continental tires are made in France and come with longer warranty, while the Yokohamas are made in the Philippines.
I'm not sure which Insight trim @Data14 owns but the Conti comparison I made only applies to the Touring. The Conti PureContact LS isn't available for the LX/EX.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I ran over some shrapnel from an accident on the highway, slashed my rear driver side tire. Got the Yokohamas, still on the same tank but went from averaging 48mpg to 44mpg. Didnt think I would see that big of a difference. I think tires are 2lbs heavier from OEM

·
Super Moderator
2,758 Posts
I ran over some shrapnel from an accident on the highway, slashed my rear driver side tire. Got the Yokohamas, still on the same tank but went from averaging 48mpg to 44mpg. Didnt think I would see that big of a difference. I think tires are 2lbs heavier from OEM
What Yokohama tires did you get?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was forced to buy 2 new tires after 20,000 miles due to catch a nail on the inside wall of a rear tire. I went Les Schwab here is Northern CA and got (2) 215/50R-17XL 95V Reputation NLW3 that were $145.12 ea. So far, I am pleased with these tires, they seem to handle well and the ride is smooth with no noise.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,287 Posts
I was forced to buy 2 new tires after 20,000 miles due to catch a nail on the inside wall of a rear tire. I went Les Schwab here is Northern CA and got (2) 215/50R-17XL 95V Reputation NLW3 that were $145.12 ea. So far, I am pleased with these tires, they seem to handle well and the ride is smooth with no noise.
Wondering how the mix-and-match tires will work when you need to rotate them. If rotated properly, you'll wind up with different tires on each side of the car.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts