Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
81 - 100 of 111 Posts

· Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,851 Posts
the tire rotation has not been an issue thus far as I just rotated my tires (y)
This just came to mind with @insightfully's question. Normally, front tires go straight back, and rears swap to opposite front corners. With that in mind, you should never have mis-matched tires on one side of the car. Just be sure to set air pressure accordingly when you rotate.

· Registered
51 Posts
What Yokohama tires did you get?
I got the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT. Right now I am averaging about 43mpg about a 5 mpg drop from normal. Based on full tank mpg. I am thinking there is another cause to this issue. I do have them at 38psi in the front and 36 psi in the back. There is a sound I heard around 50+mpg and only on smooth road, not a vibration so, I know its not balance. I was thinking alignment might be bad or the piece of metal I ran over did something that catches wind.

· Premium Member
4,843 Posts
I got the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT. Right now I am averaging about 43mpg about a 5 mpg drop from normal. Based on full tank mpg. I am thinking there is another cause to this issue. I do have them at 38psi in the front and 36 psi in the back. There is a sound I heard around 50+mpg and only on smooth road, not a vibration so, I know its not balance. I was thinking alignment might be bad or the piece of metal I ran over did something that catches wind.
The outdoor temperatures are also starting to cool, and may also affect your mpg comparison (?). I experience 10-15% mpg difference from spring/summer to fall/winter temps alone, on same all season tires.

· Premium Member
4,843 Posts
But I’m lucky I’ve only had one irreparable puncture after all this driving.
@Insightfu1 - What tire(s) did you end up using for replacement? Were you able to replace just one, and if so did you stick with the Michelin Energy Saver A/S? Or with your higher mileage, did you have to replace all 4 tires and pulled out the Goodyear Assurance Maxlife that you mentioned pre-buying?

· Registered
692 Posts
@Insightfu1 - What tire(s) did you end up using for replacement? Were you able to replace just one, and if so did you stick with the Michelin Energy Saver A/S? Or with your higher mileage, did you have to replace all 4 tires and pulled out the Goodyear Assurance Maxlife that you mentioned pre-buying?
I got the replacement certificates when I got the Goodyear Assurance Maxlife.. so I replaced the irreparable tire using the certificate and bought another certificate for that replacement tire.

They are at 7/32 all around, with the replacement at 8/32, and have roughly 35k miles on them. I was hoping to get at least 80k from them but at this rate , it doesn’t look like i will based on replacing tires at 4/32.

The OEM Michelin Energy Savers lasted around 45k with 4/32 (I replaced them on May 21 2020) when I replaced them though. My mpg dropped throughout summer from 50s to about 47 now and I’m not sure if it’s because of running ac on high for long periods or tires. Plus there is the summer gas blend that supposed to improve mpg so there are a few variables to work with. But now that the weather is getting cooler, I’ll have to see if my mpg improves with less AC use.

· Registered
692 Posts
It looks like the Goodyear MaxLife I have now will go to 80K or even more because I found out from an America’s Tire tech that the tires come brand new at 9/32 not 12/32 like I thought originally and I’m around 7/32 right now after 45k.

I lost anywhere from 2 to 6 mpg switching to these tires (from OEM energy savers) because I was able to determine that my AC usage during summer didn’t use a lot of mpg (which I’m guessing but it’s hard to tell since we use the summer blend gas )because I haven’t been using the AC that much for the last month and my mpg is steady at around 48. But there’s also the factor of summer gas which could improve gas mileage, hence the reason why my gas mileage didn’t drop during summer with a lot of AC usage and flattened out after they stopped summer blend and my mpg stayed the same.

I’ve also added more weight to the car with the sound deadening ,foam , and audio equipment that I’ve added, so that factors into the mpg.Not that much but there’s extra weight.

The only way to tell if high AC usage drops mpg is to run my AC on mid to high level during the colder weather and see my mpg drops significantly below 48 , and perhaps wear a jacket, to see if my mpg drops. But then again there is colder weather so there are a few factors at play with mpg that can’t be controlled.

It’s also quite amazing that I could probably get more than 80,000 miles on a set of tires!

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
I live in Pennsylvania and I was wondering if Michelin Crossclimate 2 is a good tire upgrade for a 2019 EX model with 53K miles on it. I am looking for a good all-weather tire with good winter traction. All kind of help is very much appreciated.

· Premium Member
4,843 Posts
Hello,
I live in Pennsylvania and I was wondering if Michelin Crossclimate 2 is a good tire upgrade for a 2019 EX model with 53K miles on it. I am looking for a good all-weather tire with good winter traction. All kind of help is very much appreciated.
Welcome to the forum. A few people have the CrossClimate 2 tire on their radar for next tire. It seems to be highly rated like the preceding CrossClimate+, which wasn't offered in the EX tire spec at the time. Additional replacement tire recommendations and experiences are also listed above.

· Registered
408 Posts
Is there anything comparable to the OEM Michelin in fuel economy? While I’ve always been a performance tire buyer, I’m not willing to give up the mileage on this car. Once you’ve tasted 60mpg on a regular basis, dropping 5 or more mpg just isn’t palatable. I’m at 41k and will be lucky to get another 5-8k out of them. I expect the dealer to try to sell me new tires when I take it in this week for an oil change/tire rotation but will be declining for now.

· Registered
692 Posts
Looks like I’ll get around 75K with the Goodyear MaxLife. These are the longest lasting tires I’ve ever bought. The highest mpg I ever got with the OEM Michelins was 54 mpg and the highest I ever got with these was 50.5, which is right about where I’m at now. So a loss of around 4mpg max. Great tires and I recommend these to whoever drives a lot. Just wait for a sale online and purchase them.

· Registered
95 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A few people have the CrossClimate 2 tire on their radar for next tire. It seems to be highly rated like the preceding CrossClimate+, which wasn't offered in the EX tire spec at the time. Additional replacement tire recommendations and experiences are also listed above.
Quick warning about purchasing any directional tires such as the MICHELIN CROSS CLIMATE 2. I needed to purchase tires recently and thought about purchasing four of these highly reviewed tires. However, the following negatives (about directional tires) convinced me not to look at directional tires:

"The primary disadvantage of directional tires is that they can only be rotated from front-to-back. Side to side rotation will require an extra charge of having the tires dismounted, flipped, and remounted. In addition, non-directional tires win the tread wear comparison. Non-directional tires can be rotated (swapped) to different sides of the vehicle, extending their life, and making uneven tread wear easier to correct. Some vehicles have different sized tires on the front and on the rear. If this is the case on your vehicle, you will not be able to rotate directional tires at all unless you dismount and remount them."

· Premium Member
4,843 Posts
Quick warning about purchasing any directional tires such as the MICHELIN CROSS CLIMATE 2. I needed to purchase tires recently and thought about purchasing four of these highly reviewed tires. However, the following negatives (about directional tires) convinced me not to look at directional tires:
Good to know, haven't been in the market yet for replacement tires and didn't know these were directional. Definitely makes rotation easier to have non-directional tires. What non-directional tires are you looking into?

· Registered
408 Posts

"The primary disadvantage of directional tires is that they can only be rotated from front-to-back. Side to side rotation will require an extra charge of having the tires dismounted, flipped, and remounted. In addition, non-directional tires win the tread wear comparison. Non-directional tires can be rotated (swapped) to different sides of the vehicle, extending their life, and making uneven tread wear easier to correct. Some vehicles have different sized tires on the front and on the rear. If this is the case on your vehicle, you will not be able to rotate directional tires at all unless you dismount and remount them."
I wouldn’t necessarily let this sway you as most tire shops simply rotate front to back already. I know for a fact my Honda dealer does as does Discount Tire. It takes more time to move tires all around. Plus, the small increase in tire life isn’t worth complaints from customers about noisy tires. Tires that are swapped side to side have a higher chance of making more noise than if they were left on the same side. Side to side rotation is no longer the norm so if you prefer a certain tire and it’s directional, get it.

· Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,851 Posts
I wouldn’t necessarily let this sway you as most tire shops simply rotate front to back already. I know for a fact my Honda dealer does as does Discount Tire. It takes more time to move tires all around. Plus, the small increase in tire life isn’t worth complaints from customers about noisy tires. Tires that are swapped side to side have a higher chance of making more noise than if they were left on the same side. Side to side rotation is no longer the norm so if you prefer a certain tire and it’s directional, get it.
Noisy tires after rotation? I've always rotated per the following diagram every 5K miles without issues with my OEM Michelins. 36K+ miles on my first Gen3 Insight at 40psi with very even wear and no issues to date. Based on the wear-to-date, I should exceed 50K miles on the original set without problems.

· Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,349 Posts
@hobokencentral Any impacts to mpg with the CrossClimate 2? The Insight uses the same size front and rear tires. Costco also does free lifetime tire rotations so it wouldn't cost me extra. If the tires perform as well in the Winter as the reviews I would still get them.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts