Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
101 - 111 of 111 Posts

· Registered
408 Posts
Noisy tires after rotation? I've always rotated per the following diagram every 5K miles without issues with my OEM Michelins. 36K+ miles on my first Gen3 Insight at 40psi with very even wear and no issues to date. Based on the wear-to-date, I should exceed 50K miles on the original set without problems.

View attachment 6749
Yes, I’ve encountered tires that became noisy after they were switched to opposite side even though they were non directional. But anyway, few shops use the rotation pattern you follow. Almost 46k on my tires and they have only been switched front to back every 10k and they are wearing normal with 36psi. I could have gotten more life from them if rotated every 5k like you do.

· Registered
95 Posts
Noisy tires after rotation? I've always rotated per the following diagram every 5K miles without issues with my OEM Michelins. 36K+ miles on my first Gen3 Insight at 40psi with very even wear and no issues to date. Based on the wear-to-date, I should exceed 50K miles on the original set without problems.

View attachment 6749
Just thought I would update you all and say that I ended up purchasing the Continental TruContact tires for my EX approx 3 months ago. Am very happy with them and they seem much more secure in cornering and in rain/ slush than the standard Michelin Energy Saver.

I definitely seem to have lost some MPG with the tires but am not sure how much. This is because I may have lost some MPGs after I had the fuel pump recall done a number of months ago. I used to average 55 mpg from late spring to late fall but am now down to only 50-51 mpg.

· Registered
408 Posts
Ordered new Michelin Energy Savers for my EX. Bout fell on the floor with the total cost of $937! Most expensive tire purchase EVER! This does include almost $100 in tire warranty but STILL. Not sure Michelins are worth this much….I was able to squeeze out a bit over 51k miles but rain traction has definitely suffered.

· Registered
2019 EX White Pearl Orchid
89 Posts
That looks to be on the high side... I always check tire rack for their prices...

16 Inch...
Michelin Energy Saver A/S
Original Equipment
Tire Rack Tested
MICHELIN
ENERGY SAVER A/S
Passenger All-Season
Size: 215/55R16 93V
Style: Blackwall
Eco Focus: Green X
Serv. Desc: 93V
UTQG: 480 A B
Qty:
Per Tire:
$185.21
Availability: Back Order
Can be delivered to 54452 when available
Free Shipping
Set of 4: $740.84

17 Inch ...
Michelin Energy Saver A/S
Tire Rack Tested
MICHELIN
ENERGY SAVER A/S
Passenger All-Season
Size: 215/50R17 91H
DT Different Tread, Chevy Bolt
Style: Blackwall
Eco Focus: Green X
Serv. Desc: 91H
UTQG: 480 A B
Qty:
Per Tire:

$182.34
Availability: In Stock
Can be delivered Mon, 08/23 to 54452
Free Shipping
Set of 4: $729.36

· Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,851 Posts
@Carfreak09 - With tax, installation (balancing, stems, etc.) the price should be in the low $800s range. Considering you threw a $100 warranty on top of that, the price is about right.

· Registered
408 Posts
@Carfreak09 - With tax, installation (balancing, stems, etc.) the price should be in the low $800s range. Considering you threw a $100 warranty on top of that, the price is about right.
The tire saga continues…..I went to dealer to get my oil changed and I let him know I’m aware of the tire’s condition and had new ones ordered. When he gave me car back, he said he would send me a quote for the tires in case they were cheaper because they had a buy 3 get 1 free promotion going on. I get a text with the quote and was shocked to see an offer of $435 to mount/balance 4 new Michelins. I quickly called the tire store and said I wanted to cancel order and when asked why I told him I got a shocking quote from dealer and he was like “you know we price match right?”. I’m like, no way you could match this and he said show him and he would. So I drove down there to confirm he could do it before canceling. I kind of screwed myself though….He was going to give me the tires for $107 each instead of $171 as I ordered them but when I mentioned the quote clearly says mount and balance for $435, that’s when he balked. He than called the dealer in front of me, pretending to be a customer and got a quote for $1017 for the same tires. This kind of pissed me off, so I said let me go call my service advisor and see what’s going on. I talked to him and he realized they made a mistake and gave me a quote for Firestone tires (oem for the Civic) but typed Michelin in the description (the ole switcheroo). He asked if I wanted a quote on the Michelins so I said yea. He comes back with “yea, this is much more money…” and quotes $817 for the tires. With a wheel alignment, his final quote was basically the same as the tire store.

I decided to cancel the tire store order partially out of irritation with him calling, trying to get out of the written quote, but mainly because the Honda dealer offers free rotation for life of tires and a 1 year replacement warranty on the tires. So, for the same price, I lose 2 years of warranty but keep the free rotation, get a wheel alignment and don’t have to go to two different places for service. Moral of story: the dealer is not always the most expensive option!

· Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,349 Posts
Ordered new Michelin Energy Savers for my EX. Bout fell on the floor with the total cost of $937! Most expensive tire purchase EVER! This does include almost $100 in tire warranty but STILL. Not sure Michelins are worth this much….I was able to squeeze out a bit over 51k miles but rain traction has definitely suffered.
Michelins are worth just not the Energy Savers. I think it's the most expensive passenger tire they offer. Would you even recoup enough from fuel savings vs another tire?

· Registered
408 Posts
Had the tires installed today by the dealer. What a pain in the butt fiasco. Folks, if your car isn’t pulling, don’t let them talk you into a wheel alignment! My car tracked straight and the wheel was dead center with the old tires. I get the car back and the wheel is cocked to the left several degrees and the car now pulls to the right. On top of that, the computer printout says my camber front and rear is in the red but supposedly it’s non adjustable in these cars (which is possible but I wonder based on what happened later) and I was told it wouldn’t affect anything. I take it right back and the advisor was apologetic for not noticing the crooked wheel and said it must have slipped while they adjusted it. 45 min later, I get the car back and he says it was test drove twice. I leave and now the wheel is slightly cocked to the right and the car still pulls to the right. I gave the benefit of doubt and was hoping it was just a bad road so continued driving. Nope, it was definitely not aligned right. I turned around again and said it’s still not right. He takes it back, I wait 45 more min and this time he comes and gets me and has me ride with the tech to verify it’s right. As soon as we start driving I can see the wheel is cocked back to the left and when the tech releases the wheel it starts veering to the right. He immediately says it’s not right and he will put it back on the rack and fix it.….45 more min later, I get the car back and magically the new computer printout shows the camber is now in the green (how did they do this if it’s not adjustable??) and the wheel is centered. I still don’t feel it stays as straight as it did before though.

This whole process took from 9am-3:20pm, with no lunch. It was like a full day at work. I was surprised how nice I was through the whole process. I did get a free oil change card for wasting my time….I just knew I should have said no to the wheel alignment since my car wasn’t pulling but I figured it should be checked after 51k. Nope, NEVER AGAIN. Don’t do it unless your car is pulling or it will NEVER be the same.

· Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
752 Posts
Had the tires installed today by the dealer. What a pain in the butt fiasco. Folks, if your car isn’t pulling, don’t let them talk you into a wheel alignment! My car tracked straight and the wheel was dead center with the old tires. I get the car back and the wheel is cocked to the left several degrees and the car now pulls to the right. On top of that, the computer printout says my camber front and rear is in the red but supposedly it’s non adjustable in these cars (which is possible but I wonder based on what happened later) and I was told it wouldn’t affect anything. I take it right back and the advisor was apologetic for not noticing the crooked wheel and said it must have slipped while they adjusted it. 45 min later, I get the car back and he says it was test drove twice. I leave and now the wheel is slightly cocked to the right and the car still pulls to the right. I gave the benefit of doubt and was hoping it was just a bad road so continued driving. Nope, it was definitely not aligned right. I turned around again and said it’s still not right. He takes it back, I wait 45 more min and this time he comes and gets me and has me ride with the tech to verify it’s right. As soon as we start driving I can see the wheel is cocked back to the left and when the tech releases the wheel it starts veering to the right. He immediately says it’s not right and he will put it back on the rack and fix it.….45 more min later, I get the car back and magically the new computer printout shows the camber is now in the green (how did they do this if it’s not adjustable??) and the wheel is centered. I still don’t feel it stays as straight as it did before though.

This whole process took from 9am-3:20pm, with no lunch. It was like a full day at work. I was surprised how nice I was through the whole process. I did get a free oil change card for wasting my time….I just knew I should have said no to the wheel alignment since my car wasn’t pulling but I figured it should be checked after 51k. Nope, NEVER AGAIN. Don’t do it unless your car is pulling or it will NEVER be the same.
Sounds to me like they had a new (less experienced) person on the alignment rack and he/she screwed up. I have run into these types of problems before with alignments a long time ago and since then have been VERY careful about where I get my alignments done. There is definitely a difference between an experienced guy and someone who is just reading the computer info and doing what the training video told him to do when he sees such info.

· Registered
408 Posts
Sounds to me like they had a new (less experienced) person on the alignment rack and he/she screwed up. I have run into these types of problems before with alignments a long time ago and since then have been VERY careful about where I get my alignments done. There is definitely a difference between an experienced guy and someone who is just reading the computer info and doing what the training video told him to do when he sees such info.
Its funny, the guy that took me for a ride said he was the THIRD tech that had touched my car. Pretty sad when 3 diff people get it wrong….

101 - 111 of 111 Posts