Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I was recently fiddling around with the maintenance reminder section on my Insight and I accidentally reset all the reminders. This caused by oil life percentage to revert back to 100%. I know that when I reset it, my oil life percentage was at 50%.

Is it safe to assume that I should now get an oil change when my oil life percentage reaches 60%-50%? (This will be my second oil change for my Insight). Also, should I be concerned about all the other reminds I reset, too?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I was recently fiddling around with the maintenance reminder section on my Insight and I accidentally reset all the reminders. This caused by oil life percentage to revert back to 100%. I know that when I reset it, my oil life percentage was at 50%.

Is it safe to assume that I should now get an oil change when my oil life percentage reaches 60%-50%? (This will be my second oil change for my Insight). Also, should I be concerned about all the other reminds I reset, too?

Thank you!
Did you just reset the oil life or ALL DUE ITEMS? If it's just oil life then replace the oil when it gets to 60-50% again.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Thank you!
The oil life indicator goes off at 15%, so that would be 65% on your reset minder. If you haven't had your first oil change yet, you can go my mileage. If you're a normal, non-severe driver, just about all of us have had our change light come on at about 10K-10.5K miles.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts

Helpful that you already have one oil change under your belt as an indication. At what mileage / time / conditions did your first oil change occur? If your current driving conditions are similar to the ones leading up to your first oil change, you could use a combination of info from your first oil change and the oil life indicator to estimate when you're due for next oil change.

The oil life % shows a single number, but represents a range. If 50% oil life was what you recall seeing, the range that covers is 50% to 41% (p556). If you want to be conservative to offset the uncertain of the situation, you could assume the worst case in the range (41% life) - and you'd want to change the oil when indicator reads 74% life (i.e. 26% from 41% estimated life to 15% oil change trigger).

When you hit 74%, compare the mileage driven to when your last oil change occurred. If in the ballpark (1k miles?), I'd proceed to change the oil at that point. If not, maybe you can wait a little longer (e.g. 65% as hasarad suggested). However waiting until 50% life would be too long, as it goes past the 15% point where the car would normally alert you for oil change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts